Active Topics

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Vigo, Spain
I don't have an N9 but I'm still considering it.

I'm on a Nokia E52 which is a great phone. It has a feature I can't find anywhere else: my data radios stay off until they're needed. If I open a web browser, the OS will search for connections in a given order (I decide that order) which includes several known WiFi access points as well as 3G data connection. This helps the E52 achieving its outstanding battery life.

I understand, "always on" is a must for "push" people, but I'm a "pull" type of guy.

Now to the point: it's nigh on impossible to make an Android phone behave like this. Android seems designed for "push" people so "always on" is a must. Of course that drains the battery, but such is life, they say. I don't know about iOS, but I'm not interested in Apple's limited offer and walled garden. Not interested in WP either. So my question is: can N9's Meego behave like old Symbian regarding this? Can it be set to connect to data networks (WiFi or 3G) on demand? Or has it been designed with the "always on" mentality?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
It is more like always on. However, that is ok as you will be using your n9 quite differently when compared to average e52 usage. You will just get use to charge your phone every night.

Actually I don't want it always on and no, I'm not going to use it any differently from my E52: I'll check my mail when I want to and browse the web when I want to. "Push" behaviour will be strictly restricted to incoming calls and SMSs (and even those are silenced and checked at some point I decide). I'm not a social networker neither fancy wazzap-like apps. I cherish my privacy and managing my own time.

I don't care about the defaults. I only want to know if the N9 can be made to work "on demand" vs "always on".

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
When you have your N9 on power saving, it turns off wifi/3g when not needed. You can also set all connections to manually selected instead of automatically used and disconnect after you are done. The phone won't connect again automatically. (however if an app that requires connection is open it will annoy the hell out of you with a modal connection popup)

Also it might be possible that the auto-disconnect program for N900 can be adapted for N9.

The thing you will certainly not find (coming from Symbian) is to be able to choose different access point for each app, and set autoconnection settings per app.

Edit: there are some apps that allow quick toggling of connections from status bar or menu, you may find them useful.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I think qwazix already summed it up.
Just wanted to point ou that this
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
You can also set all connections to manually selected instead of automatically used and disconnect after you are done. The phone won't connect again automatically.
is what you are looking for.
But this
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The phone won't connect again automatically. (however if an app that requires connection is open it will annoy the hell out of you with a modal connection popup)
is its disadvantage.

And of course you will miss the Symbian features, but will love the "openess" of MeeGo

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Nobody has tried to implement on demand connection? Is it possible at all or will the system impede it? Why would I want my device being connected when I'm not using the internet in any way and I DON'T want the internet to bother me with any push info?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
quoting from the help file of the N9 for the setting

Allow background connections
Mobile data connection and WLAN
To help save data costs, you can set your phone to close the mobile data connection when you don't need it. If you deactivate background connections the internet connection is active only when you, for example, select a web link. Your phone does not activate the connection automatically, for example, to check for new mail.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

I guess that's good enough. Does it work with both WiFi and 3G or are those separate concepts?

Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
Ye, for both 3G and WiFi.

If you have not set up any push app, the connection will auto disconnect.
But then, I wud like to warn you that since PR 1.3 update, auto disconnect doesn't work properly.

With clean device, it worked for few days, but as I went on installing apps and setting up push services, the auto disconnect wud work only once after toggling net connection each time.

Ofcrse you can turn on power saver mode, then it always auto disconnects faithfully. Not sure if there's a tweak to control brightness manually in psm, then I won't mind keeping psm on always.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
bibek,

IIRC using sys-ui tweak brightness bar you can adjust it even in PSM...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: