Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
That said though, even with the "unable to open mime type" messages in the browser and the odd mis-placed button, it will always try to open the desktop web page, unlike the Android browser which appears to actively sniff out mobile web pages. Even when selecting the desktop view, Andriod will often still want to load mobile web pages. (They are my personal peeve)
I'm on 4.2.1, so I don't know if this is an option for you, but you can try the following setting in the Android browser. Works okay for me.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-01-09-06-25-07.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  23.2 KB

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Thank you for this thread.

It is no way multitasking OS - I cannot play Youtube (music) video while doing something else - I cannot even switch to other browser's tab without killing the playback in the first one. I am never sure if I am going to lose progress on what I am currently doing when I switch to another app.
This is not quite right. If you have an app like Stickit! or Supervideo
you can press share in youtube and pick either app. This will make a floating resizable window that will play the Youtube video. You can let the music play in background and bring it back if you want to watch the video.

Regardless, it totally escapes me why certain apps like polaris while put in background are eventually killed by os. Especially if you havn't finished editing a file. So as a rule of thumb I always first save file or close app myself. Some other apps may not be killed by os. For example I've never seen Terminal killed by OS when in background. Similar with linux on android. However the vnc connection might be killed. But this doesn't matter so much as it puts me back to where I left off when I restart it.

While I see value in the OS trying to manage processes to save battery and such. It would be nice if one could have the option to select which process to not allow the OS to kill. This would be a reasonable compromise.

Last edited by mscion; 2013-01-09 at 17:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Android might have it's gray areas. But when it comes to hardware. They are super uber superior. I don't mean a specific product, I mean all the options and that is the strongest charistaritcs. Just look at CES. So man cool devices, almost all androidish. What's strange is that no one squeezing out a keyboard option every second year or so.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-09 at 16:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Austin, Tx
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
I constantly have issues like that in multitasking, games restarting, browser, downloads stopped, etc..... Its year behind symbian, not even starting with meego or maemo. Its multitasking is horrible. I might of had better on my silly nokia 3650. when I try to explain this to people on engadget/the verge they dismiss me and just say those are dead stupid platforms, but those people were using razrs when I had symbian smartphones, I don't think they are capable of understanding what a snartphone should be capable of. That includes mobile editors on these sites.
that made me laugh very hard

The Following User Says Thank You to captainofiron For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I certainly wouldn't like android powering my oven.

I can thing of a LOT of things that can go wrong.

For example the door force-closing with your hand inside...

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I certainly wouldn't like android powering my oven.

I can thing of a LOT of things that can go wrong.

For example the door force-closing with your hand inside...
Yes it's nice but it will not completely cook your food unless you stay in the kitchen. The process manager will turn it off once you leave to do another task!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
i felt similar with symbian and ios some years ago. to me, ios was a cold place filled with lots of apps and symbian felt like a warm home. yes, ios has great apps and stuff but even with the best jailbreak tweaks it still didnt give me the freedom i had with symbian. still none of my thoughts has changed i guess. the same is happening with meego and android. meego is always a welcoming os for me.

edit: still feel the same but if i were to use ios or android only i would definitely go for ios.

and after spending some time with most of the mobile operating systems, my opinion is that symbian is and always will be the most usable and spec rich smartphone operating system for the end user. ok it may look cumbersome and old (though there are some reasons behind it) but it does exactly what you wan't from it.

i don't and never will regret buying an n9 but i regret selling my n8 to buy an n9.

Last edited by Artyom; 2013-04-20 at 12:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Yes it's nice but it will not completely cook your food unless you stay in the kitchen. The process manager will turn it off once you leave to do another task!
this made my balls go crazy

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
this made my balls go crazy
if nokiabot was androidbot....

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
I hail from the heady days of the Commodore Amiga. Now that was multitasking.
Interesting thread!

Incidentally, I sold my A4000 for parts in 2004 and built my first Windows PC. And it was only last year that I parted with my A500. ImageFX and Octamed were pretty cool.

The N900 feels much like that Amiga experience. Linux has been a bit of a learning curve, but much more related to the functionality of the Amiga rather than my PC experience.

I tried the Note at the store to see what it would be like. I wanted to use the stylus to see how it would compare... draw a quick doodle, navigate around a bit... take a few pictures. I put it down after a few minutes. It felt clunky and unintuitive.

I've since picked up an E7 mostly for the keyboard. Symbian Belle is OK. I only use my E7 for work related texting and emailing, hence the keyboard, and it's fairly good for these things. A lot of granular stuff is missing like finer details for setting up and configuring email accounts.

I'm still using the N900 as my main phone because of its computer-like functionality. I completely take the multi-tasking for granted, and I heavily rely on MicroB for desktop web browsing. I find the E7 useless for my browsing needs even with Opera.

Looks like I'll be with the N900 for a while yet. Now that the price of the 808 is coming down I'd like to try out the audio and image capture functions. Maybe a good hardware keyboard will come out one day again...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:

Tags
bloatedswisbad!