Active Topics

Hi all,

Recently I saw an amazing app on iphone that helps create A3 problem solving report. A3 is a lean technique that helps in business problem solving and, that too, on an A3 sheet of paper. The creator of the app has put some brainstorming cards that help frame the problem effectively. I was thinking if there is a way to have this app ported to maemo platform. I cannot do this so thought of checking with the community to see if some generous guy can port this app to n900. Official site is a3thinker.com. Search for a3thinker on itunes.

Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
First of all, porting things without having the source is not possible

Secondly, a3thinker.com doesn't even exist.

Edit:
weird, website is working now, it really didn't work before...

Last edited by HtheB; 2013-05-13 at 23:47.

Thanks for the reply but I'm able to open the site http://a3thinker.com/

Also, I think I used the wrong word "Porting" but was just checking if there is any possibility to get a similar app like A3Thinker on N900.

Last edited by n900_novice; 2013-05-13 at 11:10.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by n900_novice View Post
I was thinking if there is a way to have this app ported to maemo platform. I cannot do this so thought of checking with the community
Well from what I looked at it it seems to be a really simple "application", more like just a card-based notes and presentation thing.

You state that you cannot do this yourself, I wonder why not?
If you can describe the needed functionality in enough detail, you could try to write something like that yourself.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well from what I looked at it it seems to be a really simple "application", more like just a card-based notes and presentation thing.

> You state that you cannot do this yourself, I wonder why not?

Hmm. OTOH, i do not. There are people out there who a) cannot develop b) don't want to, but have no time c) neither have time nor interest.

> If you can describe the needed functionality in enough detail, you could try to write something like that yourself.
Yes. Don't get me wrong, but may i also bring to your attention that this seems like the typical FOSS response? Doing it yourself? That can't be a "fits all"-type of attitude...

Maybe everyone should get competent in sowing greens, stitching up their garments/clothing, fixing cars, maintaining electric installations & other, more exotic stuff too, because being almost 100% self-sufficient is somewhat adorable? No, because there are so many people who would like to pay for services & stuff, either because they are missing time, interest, or because they know that professionals would to better than them. But being on a marginally interesting platform, there is of course and understandably not that much commercial interest that would cater to certain demands. And having to rely on communities certainly makes life not easier.

The OP certainly has his reasons, and i don't see that his questioning for what he wishes for is invalid. So, what are the available Maemo alternatives for now? I found none yet, for him, sorry. Not for general Linux either. Maybe he has to live with their physical card stack for now.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-05-13 at 12:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Yes. Don't get me wrong, but may i also bring to your attention that this seems like the typical FOSS response? Doing it yourself? That can't be a "fits all"-type of attitude...
Sure it is, and the reason for that is that people here are used to FOSS attitude, this is a FOSS platform after all.

Maybe everyone should get competent in sowing greens, stitching up their garments/clothing, fixing cars, maintaining electric installations & other, more exotic stuff too, because being almost 100% self-sufficient is somewhat adorable?
Everyone COULD try to aspire to those goals, yes. I do some of that stuff myself, I grow potatoes, carrots and some herbs on my backyard, I do sew my own loose buttons back to my jeans, I do fix small stuff on my car and I YES do my own wiring... (well the last I can 'cos I am a licensed EE among other things...)

But all this aside, writing SW is different becuse that is EASY, it is easier than lot of the other things I just mentioned. Mainly that is because it is mainly thinking, and everybody should practice some organized thinking once in a while.

No, because there are so many people who would like to pay for services & stuff, either because they are missing time, interest, or because they know that professionals would to better than them. But being on a marginally interesting platform, there is of course and understandably not that much commercial interest that would cater to certain demands. And having to rely on communities certainly makes life not easier.
Already participating in a community like TMO means one should understand this is more or less a do-it-yourself environment.

On an Apple forum I would not be surprised for people to ask for some simple program "to be made into an app" but surely HERE everybody should at least be intrested of SW developing themselves

The OP certainly has his reasons, and i don't see that his questioning for what he wishes for is invalid. So, what are the available Maemo alternatives for now? I found none yet, for him, sorry. Not for general Linux either. Maybe he has to live with their physical card stack for now.
I still stand by my original statement, this could be a nice and easy exercise for somebody wanting to do their first application.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010

Maybe everyone should get competent in sowing greens, stitching up their garments/clothing, fixing cars, maintaining electric installations & other, more exotic stuff too, because being almost 100% self-sufficient is somewhat adorable? No, because there are so many people who would like to pay for services & stuff, either because they are missing time, interest, or because they know that professionals would to better than them. But being on a marginally interesting platform, there is of course and understandably not that much commercial interest that would cater to certain demands. And having to rely on communities certainly makes life not easier.

You have a point, but would you imagine going on a car forum and asking, hey, please could anyone come over and fix my car?

However I think it would be pretty normal to ask for advice how to fix your car.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
@juiceme if SW coding is so EASY ?? Impress us and code it, build it package it and upload it ?
Why waste time debating when you could have done it by now?

Edit: OP will pay you $3 and me to!

Last edited by bingomion; 2013-05-14 at 13:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
juiceme has already done his fair share of coding for things he wants and he was kind enough to share with the community. Don't be rude.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
People are lame so lame....
Shame
makes people like me more lame....
Shame