Closed Thread
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Indeed and unless the frequency it runs on is strongly atenuated by the atmosphere, someone with a high gain antena located at the right chokepoint could have a fieldday even from quite a distance.
NFC itself is definitely not secure. They either need to encrypt that communication themselves, or they need to use something else. I just hope they address this issue - many manufacturers simply ignore this.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
If a new smartphone does not have NFC the comments are: "Bad fone not even NFC" if it does have NFC the comments are: "NFC... sooooo unsecure this new technology".

@MartinK BS!

The Following User Says Thank You to eerde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Indeed and unless the frequency it runs on is strongly atenuated by the atmosphere, someone with a high gain antena located at the right chokepoint could have a fieldday even from quite a distance.
LOL. I am suprised people seems care about security risks on very near radio but in same time post private stuff on googlemail, facebook, instagram and paying bills using VISA, mastercard etc.. Now THAT is probadly bigger security holes and personal integrity problems than people come to near a phone and steal some private stuff from your phone.

However I agree its important with security in anyway.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
@mikecomputing: Jolla needs to be competitive. Competing on privacy/security (in addition to other things of course) gives them an advantage, since many ignore this completely.

Originally Posted by eerde View Post
If a new smartphone does not have NFC the comments are: "Bad fone not even NFC" if it does have NFC the comments are: "NFC... sooooo unsecure this new technology
Using NFC doesn't preclude keeping the result secure. Just don't send the data in open over it. Encrypt, and then send it over NFC. No rocket science. But... You need to pay attention to this in order to get the right result. I was saying that most manufacturers don't do it.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-05-23 at 21:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think you should be worried more if someone plugs a usb into your phone than stealing data through nfc. Distances are too small, and with nfc by itself you can't send but a few bytes, like bt pairing code. If you fear that someone will do that, enable "confirm sharing and connecting" and that's it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I was thinking about this potential security risk as well. If the other half connection is done via USB it might be even worse since data will probably be loaded or maybe even run automatically from the storage on the back plate.

You could get a similarly colored back plate, prepare it and swap it with the one on the target phone when no one is looking. The owner might not even notice. That way you can later swap it back and retreive saved information if you don't want it to have to send it via any networks.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I think you should be worried more if someone plugs a usb into your phone than stealing data through nfc.
This would essentially be the case if the connection is USB, with the added benefit of an autorun to exploit.

Certainly the security aspects shouldn't be ignored.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Do you intend to properly support USB host-mode?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=526

that jolla signature logo is not that good for my eyes(and other people)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I think you should be worried more if someone plugs a usb into your phone than stealing data through nfc. Distances are too small, and with nfc by itself you can't send but a few bytes, like bt pairing code. If you fear that someone will do that, enable "confirm sharing and connecting" and that's it.
someone's watching Person Of Interest to much
While I do agree that privacy and security are important I think that things related to that has gone to far, or at least in wrong direction. And people who are complaining the most are usualy the ones who lives on social networks where everything is publicly available.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Its probably best to wait and see what reasonable and trusted reviewers tell about the device. Based on videos, Jolla is an extension of Harmattan. And although it looks attractive, as did N9 when advertised, there are many concerns:

My concerns are very simple, and these are issues that were deal breakers for N9. Its simple things that make the device usable or not usable, and below issues should be flawless on Jolla to be useful for the masses....which they are targetting to be successful.

1. Does it support ability to change the font systemwide....N9 didnt have it, and lost a lot of customers to it, because the fonts were WAAAy too tiny.

2. Email on N9 was horrible. It would not refresh, would freeze, and sometimes self uninstall itself (stock device). What have they done to improve that?? A corporate guy wants a phone that has flawless connectivity and sync

3. Text input: Very inferior on N9 as compared to other OSs. What have they done to improve text input. Type in English was painful and self correction was wrong many times.

4. Hardware quality. I had four or more N9s...and their quality overall was not good. it ranged from buttons being recessed too much or too little, the flimsy cover door bending and falling off, chipping of polycarbonate....Has JOlla imroved themselves in that department??

5. Calendar, to do syncing: WP8 and iOS are flawless, everything syncs and when I buy a second device, I can sync everything back to the new device flawlessly. N9 couldnt sync anything well, it was truly out of sync experience. What has Jolla team done to remediate this??

6. Lagging and freezing: lagging and freezing was so common on all of my N9s. Most likely a result of unfinished coding. Will Jolla deliver another unfinished product? To me, that would be suicidal for the company

7. Support: Nokia support was truly bad at the time. Jolla, a tiny company will need to partner with someone to provide support. Will it be there?

8. Jolla pedigree: If these are the same guys that brought us half polished Maemo and Harmattan OSs, what has changed in their DNA? Did leaving NOKIA truly change their ability to code finished products or will they always carry with themselves the handicap of poor and unfinished coding?? Its like contractors in Texas, changing company names, but building same shoddy homes....

In my view, as a regular phone user, Jolla has the burden of proof that is pretty high. I dont envy their position, the bar is high, and hopefully they realize it. I dont hear them admit mistakes with Harmattan and that is not a good sign. Unless they can openly criticize what was wrong in the past, and confront those mistakes, they will not be able to move towards the future of making phones for the masses.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open