Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Perhaps this is a little more on topic for the discussion - do we have any idea of power consumption while providing internet over hotspot (so 4G and wifi interfaces active) in terms of what I would need to provide to the phone in order to keep it charged? I'm not asking for real, hard figures yet, I'm just looking for a consensus in terms of whats expected.

In relation to the previous "off topic" post (my apologies, I've owned an N900 for about a month - the idiosyncrasies are still being worked out on my end, my PwnPhone firmwares wifi is botched, meaning I have to hardline the USB for internet, but thats ok, cause I've gotta keep it charged) the VAIO Duo I'll be getting has the 1A USB3.0 charge port, specifically for fast charging devices like mobile phones. If power consumption of the Neo900 while in hotspot mode could be expected near that 1A, I'll be mighty happy, that'll mean I can run my phone indefinitely off the laptops extended battery - perfect for six hours worth of train trips, which I do regularly, where the old Macbook Air's battery dies after two hours (go figure).

It is a fact that for almost two hours of those six on the train, I don't have cellular reception, but thats a minor side issue I'll sort out with the Government Railways one day... *GSM-R tsk tsk*

So, I hope this is a little more on topic - again my apologies, I wasn't aware my issue had been debated to death, although I should've expected a software patch for it...

Many thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to boris_blackmilk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
There is a thread for the N9 which they are discussing modified bluez for BLE the low power bluetooth protocol which can be used with gadgets which can run for months on a battery or charge. Hoping we can use their software work on Neo900 BLE bluetooth 4 hw. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85118&page=4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
,snip>
For USB we need to follow the common USB2.0 & charging_amendment specs, and we will probably use the same detection scheme like N900 (D+/- short)<snip>
/j
Maybe a USB mode switch like we use for host mode, normally USB compatible but you can switch it to tolerant of un-shorted power supply, perhaps even set the amp draw

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Maybe a USB mode switch like we use for host mode, normally USB compatible but you can switch it to tolerant of un-shorted power supply, perhaps even set the amp draw
I'd be really surprised when nobody built such thing yet, maybe based on charge21.sh

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Why is that?
Is there some adhesive that's hard to replace or is the dome sheet easily damaged in the process? Or is there some other problem?

Here at 1:52 [1] it looks not trivial but quite doable to remove the dome sheet. However the next slide in the video says: "Do not use the domesheet again."
I'd like to understand the reason.
I had to remove (and replace back again) keyboard domesheet on few of my N900's for various reasons, and it went without problems. It just require some basic care* to not damage it during unsticking, and some focus to allign it back again when ready to stick (there are some "nav points" - holes etc - that make alligment easier), but it is perfeclty doable. Glue could get non-sticky if repeatedly removed and inserted few times in row, but for single re-attachement, it shouldn't pose major problems, especially for Neo900 "target" buyers type.

/Estel

*the same care as with unsticking any should-be-easy-to-remove sticker from RTV/AGD
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-12-05 at 18:03.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
domesheets must be sourced as if once removed it can be perfectly reused but some air leaks or less sticky regions will be there and in the long run poses problems in keypresses mostly due to a layer of something formed by oxydation or sometimes slight misplacements change the keypress feel diffrent for others .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Maybe a stupid idea but here it is: I've seen some demos of water-repellent solutions that you dunk (spray with?) your electronics in and it makes them water-resistant.

Any chance?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
So for keyboard you decided on domesheets?
What happened to the idea of having the buttons directly on the mobo?

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
So for keyboard you decided on domesheets?
What happened to the idea of having the buttons directly on the mobo?
Wouldn't that kill (or at least "damage") the illumination?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!