Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
So instead 50 people report the same bug to an email address (developer-care@jolla.com) or send feature requests to info@jolla.com, that someone is supposed to monitor (though most likely isn't)?

There is no visibility of what bugs are already known - or if a solution/workaround is available for a bug - when you use email so the same bugs will be reported over and over and over until they are fixed (if they are ever fixed). Do you really think an email blackhole such as this is a better use of Jolla resources than a public Bugzilla, or a better way of engaging with end users about the problems they are facing with the platform? If so, why doesn't every project use email to report bugs rather than waste time maintaining a bug tracker?

The thing is, the more excuses I hear about Jolla NOT implementing a public Bugzilla, the more I am reminded of the Nokia of old and how they claimed they could only ever manage an internal bug tracker for Harmattan (although they still - no doubt grudgingly - put up a public tracker, but rarely gave it much attention). It might be too early to say this, but some old habits do seem to die hard and sadly this is one of them.

A public bug tracker is a hugely positive way in which to engage with users (customers) and address their problems, concerns and ideas. For a company that claims to be open, it should be a high priority but if it's not even on their to-do list then nothing has really changed, the closed mentality is the same as it ever was, only the name above the door is now different.

I'm here to support Jolla, but it seems they're farking it up already and in a very Nokian-way. The software - as it stands - simply isn't that great (but it's beta, so lets cut it some slack), the hardware is over priced budget specification (but we paid the high price to support the "dream", not to buy top-notch hardware, right?), and their attempts at engaging with their users amounts to nothing more than Twitter and a developers mailing list. It's really pretty sub-standard all around.

It's early days, and maybe Jolla can improve their communication in 2014, but if not I don't fancy their chances. I've sent several bugs through to developer-care@jolla.com and not had a single reply, so if nothing else an unmonitored Bugzilla would at least mean other users can quickly see that a bug is being experienced by others, and learn if there is a solution/workaround, or add their experiences. Sending emails to a blackhole helps nobody.
You are so right but you are also wrong (but you do give them slack in your post I admit).

Most of us are beta testers for the release code, and forums such as TMO give out enough information about major flukes if they slip into release. I don't think that many people at Jolla are running with the release version, they can't invest time for that.
Not that I'm not wishing for a public bugtracker too, of course.

It is about timing, and the time for public bugtracker would be later when the basis is considered ready. Currently it is not.

My understanding of the issue is that the majority of the bugs that would be reported at this point are such that Jolla devs are already fully aware of. Developer teams of this size are not ordinary coders, they are testers too.

It is pointless to put precious resources into handling bug reports that are obvious and already fixed or on the todo list. I'm guessing that the length of the such internal list is already thousands of lines just for the bugs, not to mention missing features, that bring more bugs and were left out in the release.
Whether they should release such list to the public, or keep it internal, is another matter of course. Whatever they do, it _always_ looks bad for the majority.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That's funny as I on the other hand have found out that there's awfully lot more stuff in the repos as was for N9 when it came out...

Granted that I needed to install things like python and less when they were preinstalled on N9, but they are just a "zypper in" away, and on the other hand to get things like rsync or luks you had to install additional community repos.
(which were not there in the beginnig, BTW...)
I don't want 'stuff', I simply wan't a working wifi and basic mobilephone functions.
---
I made a request on their zendesk and logged in a moment ago, the ticket was deleted. That's just sad.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by caa View Post
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before:

The 64GB micro SDXC cards work fine in the Jolla when formatted as standard FAT (i.e. FAT32). The belief that FAT32 is not able to handle such large partitions comes from the fact that the Windows disk format utilities cannot format such large partitions.

However, using the Disk utility in Ubuntu, and formatting as 'FAT' there works fine, and reads correctly on Windows, Jolla, and Ubuntu (and presumably other distros).

(Notice the FAT32 maximum volume size and the note in wikipedia.)
The 64GB SDXC also works fine here, though it OS doesn't fully recognise the all the music files on sd card, it only shows about half in media app. It can be problem of oriental character name of folder and files but I'm not 100% sure.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
harmattan used telepathy for these things and sailfish uses that too. It should be possible to support more protocols. I cannot comment on what will be supported in the future as this is not my area.

Skype is owned by Microsoft. I can only say that ... ;/
Dear MSameer, could you do me a favor and comment on what SHOULD be supported during Jolla meetings, even if it is not your area?
The best developers have besides being code wizards alo a wide vision of what the customers desire.

And we all know your core customer base is 80% people that love N9 / N900 and maybe 20% chauvinist Fins that hate to see their former national pride being raped by MS

As for Skype... yes, I agree we should learn to let go...

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
I don't want 'stuff', I simply wan't a working wifi and basic mobilephone functions.
Well that is "stuff" too.
Have you checked what exactly happens when you try to make the WLAN connection that fails, does anything suspicious get logged, for example?

I made a request on their zendesk and logged in a moment ago, the ticket was deleted. That's just sad.
That is sad indeed if it happens so. I have no experience on their zendesk, but I'd imagine no tickes system should just cancel created tickets without an explanation.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Dear MSameer, could you do me a favor and comment on what SHOULD be supported during Jolla meetings, even if it is not your area?
The best developers have besides being code wizards alo a wide vision of what the customers desire.

And we all know your core customer base is 80% people that love N9 / N900 and maybe 20% chauvinist Fins that hate to see their former national pride being raped by MS

As for Skype... yes, I agree we should learn to let go...
I totally agree, the seamless integration of SIP/XMPP Voice and Video Calls was one of the best features on N900/N9 which should definitly be implemented for Sailfish.

Btw. there is a Ringtone setting for "Internet call" in the settings app, so that might be a hint

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
Well that is "stuff" too.
Have you checked what exactly happens when you try to make the WLAN connection that fails, does anything suspicious get logged, for example?

That is sad indeed if it happens so. I have no experience on their zendesk, but I'd imagine no tickes system should just cancel created tickets without an explanation.
Of course. It is stuff too, but essential to run a modern mobile phone.
As far as I know Sailfish doesn't support anything apart from non-secured, WEP or WPA-PSK wifi. So no WPA Enterprise (EAP)

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Of course. It is stuff too, but essential to run a modern mobile phone.
As far as I know Sailfish doesn't support anything apart from non-secured, WEP or WPA-PSK wifi. So no WPA Enterprise (EAP)
What kind of credentials/authentication scheme your network requires?
AFAIK wpa_supplicant should well support everyting that is possible to set up, so if there is some problem it is on the UI side of things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
What kind of credentials/authentication scheme your network requires?
AFAIK wpa_supplicant should well support everyting that is possible to set up, so if there is some problem it is on the UI side of things.
True. As I wrote: WPA EAP.
I opened wpa_supplicant.conf on the Jolla device, but there are not networks configured in the file. Is there some additional layer like network_manager used?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
So instead 50 people report the same bug to an email address (developer-care@jolla.com) or send feature requests to info@jolla.com, that someone is supposed to monitor (though most likely isn't)?

There is no visibility of what bugs are already known - or if a solution/workaround is available for a bug - when you use email so the same bugs will be reported over and over and over until they are fixed (if they are ever fixed). Do you really think an email blackhole such as this is a better use of Jolla resources than a public Bugzilla, or a better way of engaging with end users about the problems they are facing with the platform? If so, why doesn't every project use email to report bugs rather than waste time maintaining a bug tracker?

The thing is, the more excuses I hear about Jolla NOT implementing a public Bugzilla, the more I am reminded of the Nokia of old and how they claimed they could only ever manage an internal bug tracker for Harmattan (although they still - no doubt grudgingly - put up a public tracker, but rarely gave it much attention). It might be too early to say this, but some old habits do seem to die hard and sadly this is one of them.

A public bug tracker is a hugely positive way in which to engage with users (customers) and address their problems, concerns and ideas. For a company that claims to be open, it should be a high priority but if it's not even on their to-do list then nothing has really changed, the closed mentality is the same as it ever was, only the name above the door is now different.

I'm here to support Jolla, but it seems they're farking it up already and in a very Nokian-way. The software - as it stands - simply isn't that great (but it's beta, so lets cut it some slack), the hardware is over priced budget specification (but we paid the high price to support the "dream", not to buy top-notch hardware, right?), and their attempts at engaging with their users amounts to nothing more than Twitter and a developers mailing list. It's really pretty sub-standard all around.

It's early days, and maybe Jolla can improve their communication in 2014, but if not I don't fancy their chances. I've sent several bugs through to developer-care@jolla.com and not had a single reply, so if nothing else an unmonitored Bugzilla would at least mean other users can quickly see that a bug is being experienced by others, and learn if there is a solution/workaround, or add their experiences. Sending emails to a blackhole helps nobody.
You do realise Jolla are shipping hundreds of phones at the moment and I'm pretty sure every pair of hands available is doing it 8h a day...

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience