Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I think you can atleast squeeze 5 of these selector things in the input panel. As you can see on the screenshot on the receiver panel. We are loosing so much estate on that big button. So what about making about 4-8 (depending how much can fit comfortable) buttons?
Yes, I agree the Input panel does need to be reworked somehow (or otherwise removed). Let me look in to what it would take to add some user-defined input buttons to that screen; I don't know how much work that would require...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
I'm just curious, is it possible to have an app in N900 which uses wi-fi to remote control cameras with wi-fi such as the Canon 6D / Canon 70D.
Hmm. In theory, yes -- the N900, or really pretty much any computer with wi-fi, should be able to connect to a wi-fi aware device like the 6D / 70D. In practice, though, wi-fi interfaces are quite a bit more complex than Commercial IR remote interfaces; also, as far as I know right now, most manufacturers are keeping closer control over their wireless software, and aren't keen on seeing open-source versions of their tools...

Ultimately, it isn't likely that such controls will be making it into Pierogi any time soon, but a closed-source control app might be feasible. Anyway, I'll take a look at what folks have been doing with the Canons...

Edit: Well, maybe I'm wrong! Looks like the GPhoto guys are already supporting remote control for a number of different cameras. There's even been an attempt to get GPhoto running on the N900, specifically for remote control purposes (although via USB, not wi-fi). Might be more doable than I'd thought.

Edit 2: A very nice little video.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2014-04-08 at 11:40. Reason: Surprisingly, looks possible

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
It has been a wonderful app in my N900 which turns out to be the best universal remote.
I'm just curious, is it possible to have an app in N900 which uses wi-fi to remote control cameras with wi-fi such as the Canon 6D / Canon 70D.
Thanks.
Yeah that would be awesome too, but I think that's beyond this project scope. Even if I don't own a wifi enabled cam.
Speaking of more ways of remote controlling. I really would like to use my N900 as bluetooth and wifi keyboard + mousepad. Yeah I know bluemaemo, but it sucks and it is buggy.

Copernicus, I seeing forward for your next great solution (: Just duplicating the current button would already be sufficient in my opinion. Still you would need to make them independent of each other...
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
@Copernicus

Thank you for your great work! All your apps are really useful, but i have to admin one great issue: the app's icons!!

Please consider something more related to the function of the application for pierogi, lanterne and orecchiette.

There is enough mess into the maemo application menu, and an icon describing the function would help a lot.

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Last edited by xes; 2014-04-09 at 09:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Yeah I stumled into that but as I use a custom icon theme I just adde my own png icons and this the result. A lot more useful icons. The flashlight icon is extracted from the known flashlight app before we all used Lanterne. The second icon is found by searching the web with the following term: "remote control icon". I don't know if they have any rights but I think you can find them yourself. Then look in the desktop file how the icon should be named and place them in /op/usr/share/icons/your_icon_theme/64x64/applications/

Result is attached
Attached Images

Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Thank you for your great work! All your apps are really useful, but i have to admin one great issue: the app's icons!!

Please consider something more related to the function of the application for pierogi, lanterne and orecchiette.
I would love to! However, there's one significant issue I always bump into:

I have _zero_ artistic ability.

Is there a tutorial somewhere about how one comes up with icons? I would imagine that people draw them using various tools of art, but I have no real idea how one best accomplishes that. (Heck, when I created the first iteration of Lanterne, it took me longer to find a photo of the pasta and turn it into an icon than it did to write and prepare the rest of the app...)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
1014 bytes of crude pixel work... and a scaled photo of my personal torch..

But probably pierogi would need a better solution.
Attached Images

Last edited by xes; 2014-04-09 at 12:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Hey, I actually like the pasta icons! Found them strange at first, too, but now they're part of "folklore" And, you know, what better describes Pierogi than Pierogi icon? Orecchiette ressembles ear, and Lanterne icon is like... Errrm, a waveform of light?

Seriously though, I understand where are you coming from with that icon request. Still, part of me would be sad to get rid of that "tradition"

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
current icons are deciving but are ok acccording to the used naming convention. maybe a combination of old and new or some unique mark or overlay in each icon to represent the feature or significing pasta family.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Hey, I actually like the pasta icons! Found them strange at first, too, but now they're part of "folklore" And, you know, what better describes Pierogi than Pierogi icon? Orecchiette ressembles ear, and Lanterne icon is like... Errrm, a waveform of light?

Still, part of me would be sad to get rid of that "tradition"
I also completely agree. if you don't like them it's fairly easy to change them.

The pasta icons make them stand out from other applications on the desktop.

As for Lanterne icon, I still like Torchio as a type of pasta that resembles a torch.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control