Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ade View Post
I have been concentration on the button functions this time, given rasmarc's input.

The controls now follow these rules:
  • Long press the "choose dish" button will reset all item attributes to initial (so setting the time to 00:00:00 will no longer reset the dishname, as it's kind of obsolete)
  • Long press the "time picker" button will toggle stopwatch mode. No values are reset
  • If inactive, the time remaining bar will be dark green or dark yellow to indicate it's mode
  • Continue mode can always be activated
Imho that stopwatch mode is out of place.

Is there really the need to have two different buttons for using a stopwatch, depending if starting from zero or after a countdown?

This distinction is a pain in my forefinger. ouch, again!

-----

My idea is:

"OK, I've got three timers. Now I want to use one of them as a stopwatch. So using the stopwatch feature of cooktimer comes to my mind - i'll add a stopwatch to one of those timers. But what the hell, there's a countdown already set! It will count down before starting the stopwatch! So I'll reset that thing first to make it count from zero."

But could be i should have given some more thanks and praises before getting your idea of how to implement counting up.

How about using just one button and let cooktimer automatically switch to the desired mode depending if a countdown is set or not.

i only hope my thought pattern makes sense at the moment.

-----

edit:

Originally Posted by rasmarc View Post
"OK, I've got three timers. Now I want to use one of them as a stopwatch. So using the stopwatch feature of cooktimer comes to my mind - i'll add a stopwatch to one of those timers. But what the hell, there's a countdown already set! It will count down before starting the stopwatch! So I'll reset that thing first to make it count from zero."
In contrast having a stopwatch as an extra function as it is now, i'd like to suggest the following:

1. Switching to "Stopwatch mode" does not reset the timer anymore, ok. But as it is now (still an extra function), the stopwatch should still start at zero which it doesn't. It uses the countdown timer's value to start as if being in "Continue mode" but counting up.

2. In "Stopwatch mode" the stop button currently has a "pause/unpause" function instead of aborting the counter to zero.

3. Disabling "Stopwatch mode" should restore "Continue mode" status as well. It currently resets it to off. And it should reset the remaining time to maximum value instead of keeping the stopwatch's value.

4. Buttons for "Stopwatch mode" operation and "Continue mode" operation should change places.

Here's why.

The stopwatch is now uncoupled from the timer which makes sense and it appears as an extra function in the time remaining bar. So why not press that bar to activate it.

"Continue mode" is a countdown related feature. So why not press that time picker button which picks the remaining time for the stopwatch to start.

5. Switching to "Stopwatch mode" should be disabled when a countdown is running, especially when #4 is implemented.

(But I still prefer the single mode solution, it fits better in my view)

-----

edit2: i found out, there can be reasons to have a logical/visual distiction between continuing a countdown timer and starting at zero. And getting a stopwatch with one tap can make sense as well. ... it just can feel different depending on the spontaneous purpose.

But that has to be implemented as consistent as possible, otherwise it introduces a confusing factor together with the other buttons. I'll keep reporting my impressions.

Last edited by rasmarc; 2013-11-28 at 01:30.

minor bug:

- set at least 2 dishes on start
- start cooktimer
-> the second timer's time remaining bar has got dark grey background color instead of dark green as well as white text instead of grey

I had a look at the code, line 1423:

replace

Code:
background : #2A2B29
with

Code:
color: #848484; background : #172911

The Following User Says Thank You to rasmarc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Version 0.0.4-14 is send to extras-devel.

Credits go to Rasmarc, who provided me the changes:

- bugfix: picked time is set as start value in stopwatch 3
- bugfix: timer counting up when toggling stopwatch mode while continue mode active
- time remaining bar dark grey instead of dark green (because in landscape mode there's too much green for my eyes)
- start stopwatch at zero
- reset remaining time on stopwatch off
- stop button resets timer in stopwatch mode and continue mode
- stop button does not switch off continue mode
- reseting dish switches off continue mode
- continue mode indicator stays visible when counting up (because there's a stopwatch mode now)
- restore continue mode on stopwatch off
- bugfix: when paused reseting dish makes timer unusable
- buttons for continue mode and stopwatch mode change places
- toggling stopwatch mode disabled when counting or paused
- added plus-sign when stopwatch is paused (distinguishing a paused countdown)

I only updated the help page (incl. dutch translation) and a little bugfix in Rasmarc's code.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
I only updated the help page (incl. dutch translation) and a little bugfix in Rasmarc's code.
description of long press actions in your first post has to be updated as well.

-----
edit:

suggestion: a long press on the start button will save the timer's settings as start up values (after confirming), including continue mode and stopwatch mode. start up values for all timers can be reloaded by pressing an entry in the drop down menu (after confirming when a timer is just running).

Last edited by rasmarc; 2013-12-12 at 02:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rasmarc For This Useful Post:
I included the following small changes:

Code:
* added select folder dialog (click on folder button when choosing soundfile)
* disabled folder up button when browsing root
* suited continue mode indicator to text color
Ade just sent Version 0.0.4-15 to extras-devel.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rasmarc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
I have a small bugreport regarding language settings.

My device language is set to English (UK) and my Regional settings set to Nederland. I expected the interface of cooktimer be english, but it's dutch however...

I think qt is to blame because I remember I had this before with some other application which I can't remember.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I have a small bugreport regarding language settings.

My device language is set to English (UK) and my Regional settings set to Nederland. I expected the interface of cooktimer be english, but it's dutch however...

I think qt is to blame because I remember I had this before with some other application which I can't remember.
You know I made the dutch translation for ... dutch people like you

And you are right about Qt in general, I base myself on QLocale.
On the other hand, I see that Gidzzz's Qt programs do switch to English (UK).

I will have a closer look and upload a new version once I can alter it's behavior.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
You know I made the dutch translation for ... dutch people like you

And you are right about Qt in general, I base myself on QLocale.
On the other hand, I see that Gidzzz's Qt programs do switch to English (UK).

I will have a closer look and upload a new version once I can alter it's behavior.
Hehe, but I am a bit stubborn. Always use the English langauge on all of my devices. Easier to provide and get support if something is wrong Maybe I should be a bit more proud of my language and should use dutch instead... But on the other hand I hate inconsistency and the English translation is always available where the Dutch translation sometimes isn't. For time being I will enjoy and appreciate (y)our Dutch interface

Personally I would use "Horizontaal" en "Verticaal" in plaats van "Landschap" en "Portret"
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Last edited by mr_pingu; 2013-12-30 at 17:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Personally I would use "Horizontaal" en "Verticaal" in plaats van "Landschap" en "Portret"
Nokia uses the exact same words as I do in the dialer config. So at least I am consistent .
I also see "Liggend" and "Staand" as translation, but I don't find these words really catchy. I see my choice of translation used more and more (influenced by English I guess), although they are where not (historically) the most proper terms.

About the language issue:
I see Gidzzz used a similar workaround as I did in the past (when cooktimer was not officially translated, but had some dutch words in it): avoid QLocale, and just check the language variable yourself.

Version 0.0.4-16 is send to extras-devel:
* changed delete icon
* avoid QLocale for language detection

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:

Tags
cooktimer, nokia n900