Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I made a uImage of NitDroid kernel, using mkImage, put it in the 2nd sd partition and tried to boot.

Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk1p2"
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28.NIT.07
ITEM_MODULES=ext3
ITEM_DEVICE=${EXT_CARD}p2
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
ITEM_FSOPTIONS=rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
It does find the uImage, loads it but it gets stuck at Starting kernel...
what am I doing wrong?

of course NitDroid root is unpacked in that partition
The default .item file for NITDroid from archive http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pal...12.04-1.tar.gz is:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p2"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rw rootdelay=10 init=/init panic=20 debug"
ITEM_REUSEATAGS="1"
So you may want to add lines with ITEM_CMDLINE and ITEM_REUSEATAGS - i guess ITEM_CMDLINE may be your issue as it finds kernel and gets stuck at starting kernel

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Thanks very much. The .item file was generated by installing the nitdroid kernel .deb so I assumed it was correct. I also tried with a simple ITEM_CMDLINEthat just sets the root but with the same result.

I will try the .item file you suggested and report back.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

unfortunately no change, I have to recreate that partition in ext4 and unpack NitDroid again to rule out any problems in the filesystem

unfortunately no change, I have to recreate that partition in ext4 and unpack NitDroid again to rule out any problems in the filesystem
Hi i have the same problem. I'm trying to install nitdroid by this method : http://forum.nitdroid.com/index.php?....msg135#msg135 , but i stuck on Starting Kernel.. and then the phone powers off.

This is my post at nitdroid forum:

Hi all,
I try to install nitdroid, but when i try to boot from sdcard i get the screen and line "Starting kernel" and after ~ 15 seconds the phone powers off. Any ideas why?

Android is on mmcblk1p5 - i've updated boot.scr
Boot.scr and uImage is on mmcblk1p1

what I would try is:
1. place kernel in /boot of Maemo rootfs, name it zImage-2.6.28.NIT.07 and kernel modules in /lib/modules/2.6.28.NIT.07 of Maemo rootfs and check if it boots
2. do the same but in Android rootfs and check if it boots

I know uboot is better, but I remember multiboot required kernel and modules to be in maemo rootfs while the rootfs was on sd/emmc, so I would give it a try (I didn't boot nitdroid with uboot, didn't have time to play with it yet).

I tried that, but I forgot the modules. Now my N900 is over at nokia care for a clock battery change (I was told to wait 2-3 weeks).

Now I just hope I don't get an E7

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Hi all, please help me with atags for u-boot: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84560

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
U-Booters,

in the last few days I have installed Pali's u-boot with bootmenu. No problems booting pr-1.3 kernel or kp50.

I have not been able to boot the latest nemo image, though. I have tried both with 'run sdboot' at u-boot's console, and using the following .item file:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Nemo"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="vfat"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait ro console=ttyO2,115200n8 console=tty0 omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2 quiet"
ITEM_REUSEATAGS=1
as suggested previously in this thread.

Both attempts load the kernel, but it panics with
Code:
mmc0: error -110 whilst initializing sd card
and says that root partition cannot be found.

For the record, I am using a SanDisk uSDHC 4Gb, class 4 (I know it will be slow as hell :-( )

Any suggestions to workaround this issue (besides buying another sd card)?

Originally Posted by caveman View Post
U-Booters,

in the last few days I have installed Pali's u-boot with bootmenu. No problems booting pr-1.3 kernel or kp50.

I have not been able to boot the latest nemo image, though. I have tried both with 'run sdboot' at u-boot's console, and using the following .item file:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Nemo"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="vfat"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait ro console=ttyO2,115200n8 console=tty0 omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2 quiet"
ITEM_REUSEATAGS=1
as suggested previously in this thread.

Both attempts load the kernel, but it panics with
Code:
mmc0: error -110 whilst initializing sd card
and says that root partition cannot be found.

For the record, I am using a SanDisk uSDHC 4Gb, class 4 (I know it will be slow as hell :-( )

Any suggestions to workaround this issue (besides buying another sd card)?
.item files from http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pal...12.04-1.tar.gz (linked in first post of this thread) suggests (changes in bold):
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Nemo"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
and no "ITEM_REUSEATAGS=1" line... I haven't tried to boot Nemo yet, so this is just a tip which values you should double check. Are you sure your ITEM_DEVICE is p3, not p1 on memory card? and that it is vfat formatted, not ext4?

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tip!

and no "ITEM_REUSEATAGS=1" line... I haven't tried to boot Nemo yet, so this is just a tip which values you should double check. Are you sure your ITEM_DEVICE is p3, not p1 on memory card? and that it is vfat formatted, not ext4?
I tried to create another item file with the proposed changes, but the boot failed with 'no uImage found' or something like that.

For the record, the sd card is partitioned as follows:
Code:
   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk1p1          0+  57599   57600-   3686399+  83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk1p2      57600   57727     128       8192   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/mmcblk1p3      57728   58239     512      32768    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk1p4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
which is the standard nemo image.

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot