Active Topics

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Close to you
Dont like the look of the thing, bezels might be so big as to get an easier swiping but they went a bit overboard with it.
In all good news to all folks that enjoy the FOSS movement but they should start soon answering some of the questions that have been raised on this forums about the true openness of Sailfish Os because as I see it now Android is more open than this.
In all my heart wants to trigger the 100 but I still need a bit more from Jolla to actually pull the trigger.

The Following User Says Thank You to igguk1 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
All those who want to test sailfish on your N9 before buying consider that maybe this is the exact reason that the image is not available. It might well be that some things don't work as they should on these devices and that would put people off as well as create bad publicity on the net. If I was Jolla I wouldn't release images before my own device was out. We have nemo and the sdk simulator to test apps with and that should be enough for now.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
All those who want to test sailfish on your N9 before buying consider that maybe this is the exact reason that the image is not available. It might well be that some things don't work as they should on these devices and that would put people off as well as create bad publicity on the net. If I was Jolla I wouldn't release images before my own device was out. We have nemo and the sdk simulator to test apps with and that should be enough for now.
This.
I'm kind of irritated by people's attitude expecting anything N9/N959 related from them. Naturally as a N9/N959 owner you/we can always hope support for them.

And that's not really directed to this forum, more so some of the YouTube and Facebook comments that are missing the point and business realities. They should be crying help from Nokia, not Jolla.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
It isn't hard to imagine a 'the-other-half' keyboard slider. I kind of feel this is in Jolla's plan but the demand for Jolla device has to be there for anything else to happen.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by igguk1 View Post
In all good news to all folks that enjoy the FOSS movement but they should start soon answering some of the questions that have been raised on this forums about the true openness of Sailfish Os because as I see it now Android is more open than this.
In all my heart wants to trigger the 100 but I still need a bit more from Jolla to actually pull the trigger.
Don't pre-order if you're not happy. However this device is definitely a lot closer than Android will ever be to Linux. For one, you'll have a terminal winow, ability to compile your own source code (Python, C, etc.), X11, etc. Bear in mind that no other OS seems to have any interest in providing this kind of functionality.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by igguk1 View Post
Dont like the look of the thing, bezels might be so big as to get an easier swiping but they went a bit overboard with it.
No its not, because most of the stuff is mer/nemo so stop cry and go out on github and contribute instead of whine about how not open sailfish is! If you get any trouble with some linrary who is not open THEN you and others can come back cry about not openess platform.

But right now I am seriously sick and tired of people who whines and probadly not even has contributed anything in merproject and only sitting on TMO cry about no HWKBD or bllablabla.

FOr once more REALIZE FACTS! Jolla is a small company stop compare them with ridicilous big companys as Google, Apple or Nokia. They must hold back some info, they most hold back some of the sourcecode and they depend on people who contribute.

If you don't like thjis well go for something else instead of sitting here and cry.

Again, this post is NOT only pointing on igguk there are several more whines on TMO who really never seems to get it!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Last update for today on 2nd post. Can't wait for end of the year, when I get my preordered "The Jolla".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Big difference with Nokia: You can use Mer and Nemo now, on various other devices. In fact you can use them on *any* device as long as it has linux drivers (too bad this is only true for x86 and pretty much nothing else) Maemo was never able to run on anything else than NIT's, not because of lack of drivers, but because of dependency spaghetti (deliberate or not)

They have cleanly seperated their code from the community code, no tangled binary dependencies, no stupid maemo-generic-pr metapackage. They also contribute to open projects as they work, no big code-drops, android/Tizen style. If that is not openness what is it? Ok some GUI apps may be closed, so what? We can make replacements, it's not like we'll need to reverse-engineer bme.

The system is so compliant to standards that people have managed to run the actual sailfish os from the x86 emulator image on compatible tablets. Try that with maemo.

PS. N959 is a Nokia/Boeing/Porsche hybrid?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-05-20 at 21:55.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
http://abload.de/image.php?img=bktp5geciaecwrz2kuh6.jpg

The shirt this guy wears at the Jolla event gives "The Other Half" slogan a whole new meaning...

those guys might combine it

The Following User Says Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
to Europe & China (telecom partner?) 1st...
are you able to "pre-orcer" just the devce from where you are (if you are not in Europe)?
(if you pre-order only the device, you don't have to pay anything upfront, you simply indicate your interest)
afaik China is not in preorder country list. I tried to pre-order and got answer that it doesn't ship in my country

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red