Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Hey,
just a quick thought on the bezel size...

I tried to measure the percentage of area covered by display (on the longer side) on the Jolla device because I thought that the prototype used by Jolla to show off the UI had different dimensions than the one used for The Other Half.
It seems to be true, but measuring dimensions from a video ain't the most precise technique
Anyways, here's the data (longer side of the display over l.s. of the device):
Jolla (UI prototype) - ~70%
Jolla (OH prototype) - 75%
Nokia N9 - ~85%
Nokia N900 - ~69%

EDIT: So, the bezel ain't that bad when you currently own an N900 as I do

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-05-23 at 16:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
Imagine being able to load custom content at the time of purchase. Imagine being able to get tickets or songs and videos added easily. You could enter the shop and tap your phone against an in-store device and getting "freebies" transferred to your phone...
This is already possible with current NFC technology, like Samsung's ad campaign for the S3.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Hey,
just a quick thought on the bezel size...

I tried to measure the percentage of area covered by display (on the longer side) on the Jolla device because I thought that the prototype used by Jolla to show off the UI had different dimensions than the one used for The Other Half.
It seems to be true, but measuring dimensions from a video ain't the most precise technique
Anyways, here's the data (longer side of the display over l.s. of the device):
Jolla (UI prototype) - ~70%
Jolla (OH prototype) - 75%
Nokia N9 - ~85%
Nokia N900 - ~69%

EDIT: So, the bezel ain't that bad when you currently own an N900 as I do
The bezel is big, that's for certain, but Jolla has also done little to hide it. You don't have buttons anywhere and the phones front is totally flat.
Compare that to N9 were you have one big curved glass (that's not the real screen estate), combined with the plastic body and rim the glass is sunk to. There's nothing flat about N9's front.

That bezel is big, but never did that enter into a discussion with N9 and I can't say I ever thought about it.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-05-23 at 16:45.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
That wasn't a chinese app store. It was a chinese android app. It's called QQ and is something like a chinese icq (over 750million users)
No QQ is massive social_network/content/services portal, it's not just a IM app...
He explicitly says in that video, that that this "QQ app" is a gateway to QQ's Android Apps service.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Looks like android applications are just going to have buttons at the bottom. Someone also said they feature realtime multitasking?
As I understand it, AlienDalvik does also allow for "porting" to a more "native" UX, though I imagine there'd be limitations.
Yeah supposedly the Android apps will support RT multitasking...

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
the n950 devices had double tap to wake up and LPM on the sailfish presentation
How? N950 doesn't have a AMOLED display

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-23 at 16:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Neither does 701 but it has an lpm screen. Haven't seen an lpm on sailfish N950 though.

edit:
As you can see in the N900 wiki, it's not the backlight which drains mist battery in lcd's when on very low brightness. It's the screen refreshing at 60hz, which I believe it can be avoided withsome wizardry.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-05-23 at 16:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
How does it work? (obviously quite differently to LPM on a AMOLED)

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
That might be the stock Nemo Mobile maps application, which is very very basic - even more than the cuuren modRana QML interface (which also already runns on Nemo a thus should also run on Sailfish). :-)
Well if thats the case. The community has big chance improve it Now THIS is what open source is about isn't it?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The screen is on, with the backlight on extra low. See my edit above.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by balisingh View Post
Good point, I guess they can license it but cant develop it further. I was counting on that.
Will it have QT/QML? Duh http://merproject.org/ Does this mean Apps will port easy from N9?
How about good HTML5 support for the lack of apps? duh http://merproject.org/
What kinda of security for protecting your personal information?
only CORE apps in harmattan that I want to see in sailfish is NokiaMaps. The rest is already there or replacable.

Good HTML5 suppport yes. Cause they use QtWebkit.

Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
I'd much prefer AMOLED LPM notifications as per N9 (increases "glanceability" if I were to go all Marko Ahtisaari).

And JollaHQ just retweeted someone asking for LPM - which is mildly promising I guess - they're still sourcing the best screen components aren't they?

I suppose an RGB LED would be a good fallback if they really couldn't source an LPM-capable screen component.
actually I do think screen and even exact CPU will depend on how many preorders they get.

Any company has to buy a certain number of components to get a chance et all.

The smaller volumes they buy, the more outdated components they will get.

I don't know much bout display but doi not expect highest/coolest display/cpu for pricetag around 400$ if Nokia, Samsung or whatever sells something for around 300$ its probadly similar HW we will get from Jolla for $400 atleast until Jolla has bigger volumes...

IF they dont choose Intel in case of CPU because I guess Intel a bit desperate get ther CPU on the markets...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red