Closed Thread
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
It wasn't about harmattan-only contributions, it was about general community contributions. These devices were for people who has done alot for the community in general, not specifically harmattan development. It was meant actually for non-coders too which helped the community with different things (eg packagetesting)
Again, this is not relevant to harmattan development.

I want new harmattan developments from these folks. Package testing can be done by anyone with an N9/950. Let's be honest here, some of these people did not deserve a device for contributions to the N900/N800/Nxx

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Can't all of this personal talk be taken to DM or e-mail?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can't all of this personal talk be taken to DM or e-mail?
No, this is something that everyone needs to be aware of.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
The way I read your post, your focus is on Harmattan-development The way I see this is that these devices are just prizes for their "past" efforts. Not a way to promote harmattan development but just a reward for what these people did in the past for the community in general

Who am I to judge? I am not going to say: He deserved, he didn't. I just trust the council they made the right choices!
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
What? Itsnotabigtruck, wolke, schturman, rzr, e-yes, and others deserved devices. These are people that are truly involved with Harmattan.

The only person I saw that got a device he deserved that already had one was Mohammadag.

fCrochik had one and vi_ got one too, I have no argument with these people either.

Who the rest of these people are in regards to Harmattan is beyond me and I have been actively involved in IRC, maemo.org, fmc, and other Harmattan related places.

This was a rigged process and we all know it woody.

I couldn't care less about the council members getting a device, that was mentioned in the mailing list, but people that have been helping Harmattan from the start should have gotten them. This is absolutely ridiculous that certain people in the community didn't get one.

I would like some explanation as to why certain individuals that did nothing for the harmattan community were given devices that they didn't deserve?
That's not my point, i recognize few nicks in winner list who contributed a lot to maemo (for example i recognize few devs and CSSU maintainers there form IRC) and after they get device i hope they'll do the same for harmattan. Still there are few i neever saw and threads on TMO of their do not relive any info of contribution, buuuuuuut it's not about that, as there will be always those who would be disappointed or would think it's unfair. So it's okay.

But what i said and very important to me to point out, that you can't judge and participate at the same time, it's unfair. And being council is not enuf for getting device, as e.g. one of people who got out on 2nd round was council as well, so why he/she didn't get than? I just feel it's like abusing power if they wanted to get in award list than votes should be made public and not by them.

And i think Woody gave as excellent example how it should be, i want to thank him, as i think he understand it doesn't matter how cool to get the free device, but if you decided to be council you need to put responsibility before everything. i wouldn't repeat the quote from my earlier post here from the movie named after the avengers member but who wasn't on the first movie =P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
The way I read your post, your focus is on Harmattan-development The way I see this is that these devices are just prizes for their "past" efforts. Not a way to promote harmattan development but just a reward for what these people did in the past for the community in general

Who am I to judge? I am not going to say: He deserved, he didn't. I just trust the council they made the right choices!
I am no one to judge, but I am certain that qualified people in the Harmattan community were snubbed because they are not part of the old boys crew of Maemo, again.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
It was clearly stated in the creation of these awards, that they will be granted to people with a big level of involvement with the community, not just in the development front but also in any other aspects.

It's also a gift for past deeds, not for future promises.

For just developers, we also have the Coding Competition, the Qt5 Awards and the New Apps in Ovi Store program.

It was also clearly announced that it's not a question of popularity and it wasn't easy to achieve an agreement on who deserved the prizes as, obviously, there are as many opinions as people out there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
WOW your a member of the council and you talk like this to the members ????? good start woody your doing well so far aye !.
I speak the truth. You lied, plane an simple; I called you on it. Have a problem with that? You know where the complaint button is.

The only reason I see as to why I was elected Council is that I'm transparent, if not at times blunt. I say what I mean, follow up on my commitments, and acknowledge my words, even if they turn out to be wrong later and I wind up eating them and/or apologizing. (Many people can attest to that...)

I don't tell lies. Nor do I claim a bald-faced lie is not FUD when confronted on it. You've done both in the last 3 posts. Consider that, and then ask your questions again about while I'm in Council.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post

But what i said and very important to me to point out, that you can't judge and participate at the same time, it's unfair. And being council is not enuf for getting device, as e.g. one of people who got out on 2nd round was council as well, so why he/she didn't get than? I just feel it's like abusing power if they wanted to get in award list than votes should be made public and not by them.

And i think Woody gave as excellent example how it should be, i want to thank him, as i think he understand it doesn't matter how cool to get the free device, but if you decided to be council you need to put responsibility before everything. i wouldn't repeat the quote from my earlier post here from the movie named after the avengers member but who wasn't on the first movie =P
There you have a good point, it's a bit weird that the council got devices while they were also the ones who were the judge of whom should get the devices. Sure, being councillor is also a contribution to the community. I think it was fairer when the council didn't apply for a device.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I speak the truth. You lied, plane an simple; I called you on it. Have a problem with that? You know where the complaint button is.

The only reason I see as to why I was elected Council is that I'm transparent, if not at times blunt. I say what I mean, follow up on my commitments, and acknowledge my words, even if they turn out to be wrong later and I wind up eating them and/or apologizing. (Many people can attest to that...)

I don't tell lies. Nor do I claim a bald-faced lie is not FUD when confronted on it. You've done both in the last 3 posts. Consider that, and then ask your questions again about while I'm in Council.
It's spelled plain, but yes, you are transparent, and hence why I supported you from the start.

This you have my respect and support for no matter what.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry