Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Can someone send a twitt or a Facebook message and ask jolla when they are planing to release a proper spec like a real company? This is not how you do business...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
I really don't expect a HWKB included for the 100€ pre-orders. I don't. But I don't like buying smoke, the hidden information. What is it? Why you can't tell us? To be honest i want SailfishOS, the SW, to be released more than the phone, the HW.
So, don't buy it then... you can do (or not do) whatever you want with your money.

As for why the mystery, I wouldn't know to be honest, but I can guess that maybe they don't want to give too much away? or maybe they don't know yet?

Marc clearly stated that the other halves was an idea for people to innovate suggesting that they weren't going to be working on that aside from coloured halves, and he also clearly stated that the interface has to be open, which it isn't yet, probably because they haven't got it yet, so whoever wants to make a hwkb out of it will have to wait a bit until the interface happens.

Having said all this, it must be good news to Jolla that these conversations happen, bad news would be people being indifferent and going and getting another device elsewhere...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
So you are asking for iPhone...it have multi-tasking fancy gesture too.
No.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
It looks a lot like android, despite the 1-button difference.
Sailfish has the pulley menu, much better than buttons, especially for large devices, it has back and it has a button, inside the app, you may use it instead of the gesture if you so like.
Pulley menu is good for some Apps, for many its not useful.
Such as Browser, Maps, Fruit Ninja... basically any App that has a large canvas to interact with. And this means many current, and possibly most of tomorrow's apps too.

Which ones? All the gestures you described are done from inside the screen, no need for edge swipes, thus Android.
I'm sorry you have perceived incorrectly.

I take it you've never used the N9? Because it's so natural, that I end up doing it on every other phone. Even chrome has the side swipe gesture, which I admit is difficult to perform on a Note, but that's becase the implementation is half-assed. I've never lost a side swipe on the N950 despite it having a smaller bezel than the note and flat screen.
I take it that you don't read well.
I've stated that I didn't like the N9's implementation because of the space restrictions. Making a device wider is very punishing for the experience. That and because I owned one months later only to return it shortly (couldn't replace my N900 or my NOTE).

What you are asking is indeed a complete overhaul.
Maybe so, but its the superior design choice going simply by elegance ÷ utility approach.
Something that is the foundation of the OS, which can greatly increase its longevity (just like WebOS which refuses to get killed).

Blackberry did exactly what you are asking for, only up/down swipes, but this is more unnatural than N9's edge swipes as you swipe up-then-left to drag thigs left/right which is confusing. I understand that they did this because only the upward swipe wasn't enough, and the downward swipe was used for the notifications.
Up & Down Swipes are MORE natural.
Side & Side Swipes are LESS natural.
This isn't even debatable, not to me anyway.

I do like how N9's transitions are seamless, but I prefer a very lean device (SHAVED BEZELS!!!1!!!) and reach anywhere along the top and bottom corners which have enough bezel space to accommodate an inward coming swipe. I might have OCD.

The BBX's approach is very complex and even less natural than the N9's.
Its choka-blok full of features... but it easily becomes overwhelming to even experienced users. Hate to say it, but Apple is beautifully simple.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Here's a render of different phones/OS's with their different user interfaces.

The last one on the right is what I'm proposing, can you guess the rest?

I'm flattered

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
While I agree shaved bezels = elegance, I disagree that it also means utility. It is easy to argue that it's obvious when screens get bigger that you have to shave the bezel to gain screen real estate and still be able to use the phone with one hand, BUT: on really large phones like the note, reaching to the left side when holding with the right hand (or the other way around) causes your palm/lower part of thumb to activate a tap on the right hand of the screen. Now this could be solved by some dead zone around the phone which will still be screen but without touch, or by one of those detection techniques that never work...

There are more reasons why manipulating a bezelless 7mm phone is sub-optimal, like it's hard to pick up when screen is on and hard to give to someone in a safe/stable manner. (no space to put your thumb on the top side to create torque, so you have to hand it out like a tray)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-06-10 at 15:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Some interesting UX choices... Even one that mimics Sailfish's "Covers", albeit slightly better perhaps?
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...e-ui-obsidian/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
BUT: on really large phones like the note, reaching to the left side when holding with the right hand (or the other way around) causes your palm/lower part of thumb to activate a tap on the right hand of the screen. Now this could be solved by some dead zone around the phone which will still be screen but without touch, or by one of those detection techniques that never work...

There are more reasons why manipulating a bezelless 7mm phone is sub-optimal, like it's hard to pick up when screen is on and hard to give to someone in a safe/stable manner. (no space to put your thumb on the top side to create torque, so you have to hand it out like a tray)
I don't have that problem.
I haven't ever heard of that problem from fellow NOTE users. I think you might be thinking a wee-bit anxious about it.

I do see your point if the screen is truly bezel-less (no side bezels completely).
But today's phones have about 7mm of bezel on each side. Something like 2mm would prevent your problem, and make the phone more pocketable (less width) and it would fit more comfy in your hand or hands too.

Something drastic but not overkill. And that's just with 12mm savings from the sides, consider the iPhone 5 which has a ginormous upper and lower bezel... making the puny 4in screen fit in a device that's comparable to 4.5in phones.

I'm flattered

some news about Finnish carrier DNA confirming it will be the first to launch Jolla phones running Sailfish

DNA will sell Jolla smartphones as the first operator in the world and as the only operator in Finland as soon as they enter the market. Jolla will be available in DNA Kauppa stores and DNA online, as well as at selected DNA retailers. Jolla unveiled its new smart phone in May.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/13/d...o-offer-jolla/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Marc Dillon mentioned qwerty extensively in today's keynote, and said the Other Half is a good way to please both generation X who know and appreciate qwerty and generation Y who have "grown up with touchscreens".

No confirmation that one is coming though.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Marc Dillon mentioned qwerty extensively in today's keynote, and said the Other Half is a good way to please both generation X who know and appreciate qwerty and generation Y who have "grown up with touchscreens".

No confirmation that one is coming though.
Which "keynote" are you referring to? Devaamo?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-06-15 at 15:43.

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red