Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The interest thing is that the only interest is in Finland and good old USA

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
in case anyone's still interested, i found this rationale for wayland on jolla on WIKIPEDIA.

Carsten Munk, Jolla's Chief Research Engineer and one of key persons in Mer project, has made it possible to run Wayland (display server protocol) atop Android GPU drivers. It's being done with glibc rather than Android's Bionic libc derivative. The solution is to enable the use of Wayland on top of Android hardware, particularly with its GPU drivers. However, as part of it, for the operating system to not depend upon Google's Bionic libc library. In April 2013 the code is at a stage of being able to handle a QML compositor on top of Wayland while rendering to Qualcomm's GPU Android drivers. The motive for engaging this work is that most device manufacturers are only willing to work with Google's Android and not supply drivers for X11 or Wayland or other platforms.

Originally Posted by marbleuser View Post
The motive for engaging this work is that most device manufacturers are only willing to work with Google's Android and not supply drivers for X11 or Wayland or other platforms.[/B]
this sucks if this is true

I hope in their hardware at least Jolla won't use bionic with libhybris translation for glibc, but will use native glibc drivers for Wayland. Otherwise it'll be really sad. All this Android only GPUs are really getting annoying.

That said, having libhybris can be helpful to port Sailfish to Android only hardware.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
in case anyone's still interested, i found this rationale for wayland on jolla on WIKIPEDIA.

Carsten Munk, Jolla's Chief Research Engineer and one of key persons in Mer project, has made it possible to run Wayland (display server protocol) atop Android GPU drivers. It's being done with glibc rather than Android's Bionic libc derivative. The solution is to enable the use of Wayland on top of Android hardware, particularly with its GPU drivers. However, as part of it, for the operating system to not depend upon Google's Bionic libc library. In April 2013 the code is at a stage of being able to handle a QML compositor on top of Wayland while rendering to Qualcomm's GPU Android drivers. The motive for engaging this work is that most device manufacturers are only willing to work with Google's Android and not supply drivers for X11 or Wayland or other platforms.
Yes, this is well-known for some time now, it's not so much a rationale for Wayland as it is a rationale for libhybris.

By the way, general discussion thread here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90142&page=77
"Other Half" ideas thread here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90180&page=16
Applications you'd like to see on Sailfish here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90245&page=29
Pre-order shipments (i.e. t-shirt etc) here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90567&page=21

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-17 at 02:43.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I don't know if you read all of that, as it clearly states they're keeping X11 for backward compatibility. They're not stupid. Just keep in mind the gnome fiasco (everybody including Linus himself just switched to XFCE/LXDE), linux people tend to vote with their feet. but you're welcome to whistle past the graveyard.

it's just an android capable phone for china consumers who want something different. incapable of running most existing gtk/qt/x11 apps except in some vnc type environment a la android.

i (honestly) wish them well, but i've no intention of being an early adopter on this one. i'll let people like you buy it first and do the lobbying/development and then see what it looks like in a year compared to whatever other phones are out then. you seem keen, so go for it!
This is all unfounded. When did linux had backward compatibility? It's not windows. Try installing a deb from the 770 on the N9 and see if it installs.

GTK+ supports wayland. Qt supports wayland. Probably other toolkits too. But most of the desktop linux apps use those two toolkits. I was also pretty disappointed when I first heard of the move to wayland (way before jolla) because I didn't know many things. But I read a bit about it, and saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=RIctzAQOe44 and I now think the change is pretty exciting.

One thing I am sure about is that wayland has nothing to do with android It's where the linux desktop goes. Jolla are simply early birds..

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Slovenia
What Jolla should do, is to take MeeGo Harmattan instead of Sailfish, and optimize it for dual core processor and start adding more features to the OS, just upgrading it, and leave the design like it is... in 2 years this would be an IOS killer, then I would be the first who would buy jolla phone, now I will wait and use my N9 untill it dies.

Originally Posted by anzx View Post
What Jolla should do, is to take MeeGo Harmattan instead of Sailfish, and optimize it for dual core processor and start adding more features to the OS, just upgrading it, and leave the design like it is... in 2 years this would be an IOS killer, then I would be the first who would buy jolla phone, now I will wait and use my N9 untill it dies.
That is not a option, much of Harmattan is Nokia's proprietary sw, even if they were able to convince Nokia to license it*, Harmattan's far more closed than MeeGo ever was.
That makes it virtually impossible to make lots of sweeping changes & fixes (which Harmattan sorely needs), nah, overall that would be a silly idea/approach.
Again, general chit-chat thread here, please leave this thread for it's intended purpose...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90142&page=77

Thanks
*which would never happen anyway

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-17 at 08:49.

jalyst: You mentioned, that you saw some comments from Jolla that they aren't going to open source some core applications from Sailfish. It's a major concern I think, since before their general feeling was to make the whole thing open (except 3rd party bits like Android emulator and etc.). Did you find those references? It's probably worth it to discuss with Jolla devs. I really won't like it, if their e-mail client won't be open source for example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
TBH, I CBF'd trying to find it, maybe try asking them directly via Twitter/elsewhere?
I'd be delighted if I was wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not, at least based on what they've said quite a few times before.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-17 at 16:27. Reason: typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open