Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Woops, sorry, I didn't mean to get misterc going again, was just addressing that one point.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-10-04 at 17:55.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
I love those fanboys!!! Really! Always did!
i see a lot more (desperate) fanboyism here then over at Jolla.com...

thread makes me think of ppl who proudly tell that they use some old Pentium® based box as a firewall for their home LAN... with 512MB memory, 10MB SCSI disk (and no display ) ¦-))))))

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
[...]
just like the ~50k users of tmo that didn't vote at all.
[...]
yeah, exactly... you have (had, beginning of the year) 50'000 N900 users that still have (had) an active device
how about "interesting" those?
e.g. by adding an "info" package in the base repository (everybody has enabled) and showing a pop-up on the N900's display
are you interested in a "new" N900? click OK to let us know!
and add a thread where "casual" N900 users could manifest their interest...
but yeah, if even from the "local" fanboys a fraction only cares to pay the small fortune you are asking for, what are the chances that a casual user would

whatever
i'm going to take care of my N900(s) and after 4 yrs most of the bugs are ironed out... see yous in another 4 yrs once you got all the little catches of your "Neo" device ironed out as well ¦-))))))))

hasta la vista!

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
thread makes me think of ppl who proudly tell that they use some old Pentium® based box as a firewall for their home LAN... with 512MB memory, 10MB SCSI disk (and no display ) ¦-))))))
This is absolutely correct impression! Finally you got it! This kind of cool people is the primary target for this project.

Of course it's not limited to them, as it's going to work for causal N900 and Freerunner lovers too. Provided that they actually like the idea and are willing to spend rather high amount of money on it. Not everyone does, and that's ok and understandable.

However, it seems that there is bunch of people who like the idea and want to give it a try. As long as this small niche is big enough to be able to start production, this project is making sense.

And if this niche turns out to be much bigger than expected, then well, good for us all

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
forward private msg
FWIW, I think it'd be great if you put up a "status" blog w. RSS feed on your neo900.org website. All the Maemo chat is great, but my top priority is just to stay aware of your project's progress, and an RSS feed would be the easiest way to do so.

Thanks!
A.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
And we are DEFINITELY NOT INTERESTED in any more comments that try to explain to us how little sense this project makes according to their notion. Please don't even ponder to post any more rants like this. You already made us aware of your notion by simply not voting on the poll, we don't need any further info about your ideas regarding how this project should get redefined.
We don't compete to any other player in this market. So no use to compare Neo900 to Jolla or Android or N9 or whatever. THANKS!

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-10-05 at 17:10.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
forward private msg
midgard has a RSS feed option for the blogs like the council one http://maemo.org/community/council/rss.xml

Maybe a new blog for Neo900? At least it will give some reason of existence to maemo.org/community/

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
midgard has a RSS feed option for the blogs like the council one http://maemo.org/community/council/rss.xml

Maybe a new blog for Neo900? At least it will give some reason of existence to maemo.org/community/
Nice idea but sorry I can't do that - clash of interests. Neo900 is a commercial project and not in any way related to maemo or the maemo council or anybody with a permission to post on a blog at maemo.org/community. If maemo council wants to create such a blog for the Neo900 crew, then I will stay out of that council discussion and vote. I hope everybody honours that.

cheers
jOERG

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
maemo was a commercial project and run on various commercial devices, that is the way I see it. I find Neo900 project beneficial to the maemo community and thus I think there is place on maemo.org for it.

This is only my opinion though.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You are both right.

Even I do not see it as hard as Jörg, but I am sure that that would create another flame war (so only realistic way to handle that - unfortunately!).

So we need to find another way to support Neo900 on TMO, as I do not like to miss Jörg on Council!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
If maemo council wants to create such a blog for the Neo900 crew, then I will stay out of that council discussion and vote. I hope everybody honours that.
So, put it to your HF Board/Council colleagues, I'm sure they'll vote unanimously for it & set-it-up, or give you the permission to do that.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!