Active Topics

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
No Official Twitter App for Ubuntu Phone

Canonical has been forced to abandon an "official" Twitter app for the forthcoming Ubuntu phone due to failure of negotiations over the use of Twitter trademarks.

Recently we ran news that Canonical wanted developers to write a dozen core apps that would be available when the Ubuntu Phone launches. The list included the standard smartphone apps such as calendar, clock/alarm, e-mail client and document viewer and listed four social apps - YouTube, Facebook, RSS Reader and Twitter.

News that the plans for the Twitter app had been shelved broke by way of a posting to the Ubuntu-phone team mailing list. by Robert Park, who has worked at Canonical on the open-source social media app, Gwibber, for the past eight months.

In response to a question asking if there was an issue with the core apps Park replied:

So far, Twitter Core App has been cancelled due to negotiations with Twitter. So, disappointingly, official twitter app will be a browser pointed at m.twitter.com. Facebook app is still on until we hear different from Facebook, but no matter what happens, Gwibber is full steam ahead.

Further clarification from comments on OMG Ubuntu and later emails to the developer team reveals that while there won't be a Twitter branded, Twitter only native application for Ubuntu-phone, this won't affect the inbuilt social media features present in the Ubuntu OS. These use the Friends engine developed by Park for the latest version of Gwibber.

Park explains:

Today, Gwibber is a very lightweight Qml app that wraps around our new social media aggregator that we are calling Friends. Friends itself has no UI, it simply does the heavy lifting of sending, receiving, and aggregating tweets/facebook posts/flickr images/etc.

Friends has more features, written in half as many lines of code, and near-total test coverage (gwibber didn't even have a testsuite). Qml Gwibber is very stylish and looks very attractive on the phone, and on the desktop as well.

In the same post he explains that while negotiations to use Twitter trademarks on a native app had failed, Ubuntu-phone's Twitter app is now going to be a browser pointed at m.twitter.com.

What possible good can it do Twitter to be so uncooperative? Surely having an "official" Twitter app on this new platform cannot be a bad thing from its point of view. What exactly is going on is a mystery, but it seems to indicate another reason to be careful when betting your future on Twitter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Exellent! Please no Twitter or facebook applications!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
When will there be maemo on a bit increased hardware??

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
ubuntu phone is doomed. Cant even getting q simple app for twitter working just shows how overhyped this alpha os is!

Ubuntu Phone is basically running on Android with its own Unity UI and frameset. And superglued together with chroot.

Until they can regular Ubuntu running natively with the proper framework, and a "phone ui" which isn't just a light skin... then we'll talk.

Ubuntu on Android was a joke. Ubuntu for Phone was the punchline.

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Whats a punchline. Is it good or is it bad?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-04-14 at 18:15.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well, If you need to make a phone call, twitter, facebook or whatever and have ubuntu/backtrack/debian/arch linux distribution running simultaneously, you can use "complete linux installer" to install linux distribution and then get another launcher like unity launcher to start up phone etc. while using linux. It works. Linux will not be mercilessly killed by android when you make or receive a call so you can return to where you were in linux. But I agree it is not as nice as a native installation of linux nor as cool as the user interface Canonical has designed.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ France 55
it use android kernel, and it's cynamogen kernel.
That's what i read.
I think it could be cool to have a real phone with advantages of the N900.
That's where the N9 loose.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Here is my first contact with Ubuntu Touch on a device (Nexus 4), described in this portuguese blog article. Here is the (Google) english translation.

We see that packages without GUI install and work very well. For example, Python and some scientific modules.

Here are some screen photos (while I don't know how to screenshot via software) :

-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Here is my first contact with Ubuntu Touch on a device (Nexus 4), described in this portuguese blog article. Here is the (Google) english translation.
Nice pre-review. I've helped a bit the Ubuntu project by doing some work for the FileManager application. And also suggested that we'd use Nemo's plugin for it so that both projects could benefit - and I'm happy that the Ubuntu folks approved of that suggestion.

And furthermore they've been very clear that it's a big priority to make the changes done to the plugin merged to Nemo's upstream (which also makes me happy). I say this only as a counter-example of the often raised complaint that Canonical does not want to contribute upstream. At least in this instance I've seen nothing but effort to "be a good citizen".

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:

Tags
linuxrules2013