Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
SD69 in another thread asked for a cssu banner. I thought it deserves another thread so here it is.

I made one (in fact I just remade the official cssu icon and maemo banner in svg and compiled it with a cssu title for testing and stable and I will post it here. Feel free to modify it)
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip cssu.zip (27.5 KB, 65 views)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-01-21 at 19:34.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
dont understand the point of it, but as a designer in love for all that is maemo related, i have to make my critique: i like the cube, believe that the colors ate well chosen as they are really distinctive, i dont like the text ォcommunity seamless software updatesサ: the extra spacing between letters and teh lack of space between lines, with such a skinny type, makes it unreadable. the spacing between letters in ォstableサ and ォtesting サ is way exagerated as well.
tks for the effort though.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ed_boner For This Useful Post:
Thanks very much qwazix! I like the banners, yet I must agree, that text "Community Seamless software Update" is little hard to read. Other is just great.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

text too short short short
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip cssu testing 2.svg.zip (9.2 KB, 71 views)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
*much* better. IMO, now it's ideal, except for "Community Seamless software Update" Seems somehow better than "updates", and it's in line with official name (on wiki, repos etc, its also "update", not "updates"). But, it may be just me.

Anyway, really, *great* work.

// Edit

And somehow, I think, that CSSU Testing will be dubbed "release red" soon
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Thanks.

I like the revised version. I think we should drop the ".org". It will go up on the maemo.org website (replace the 2011 Coding Competition banner) so it's a bit redundant. And remove the empty space to the right maybe?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I suggest to get CSSU into the colored bar at bottom, left to the "TESTING" / "STABLE". Large capital letters same size as "TESTING", very tiny rest of text *)
Get a neutral one (I.E. without either of testing/stable) for general advertising. (first of the 3 below)
Have some semi-descriptive advertisement mambojambo text where now there are the one or two lines "COMMUNITY SEAMLESS SOFTWARE UPDATE". Dunno how good my PR speak is today, so maybe you find something less silly for that text.

[edit] *) rationale: the term 'community seamless software update' is obsolete iirc as Nokia doesn't even use the term SSU anymore. It's also not descriptive to Joe Average User, for sure not alluring, and especially it's WAAAY too long to serve as an eyecatcher and to keep users from messing it up and e.g. just calling it e.g. SSU or "the update" which clearly is something different.
CSSU on the other hand is an established ETLA and "trademark", and writing it full length doesn't earn us much when we do it in large letters. A [SIZE="1"]tiny text to explain[/SIZE] shall suffice, and serve quite nice to emphasize the term CSSU, thus giving us benefit of easy identification and in turn public association of the icon to CSSU. First 4 hits on google for CSSU are in fact 'ours' - then comes [#4]Christadelphian Sunday School Union (whatever Christadelphian might be), and [#6]Computer Science Student Union :-D, all the rest on first 10 are again N900 related. So we *need* to emphasize >>CSSU<<

maemo
now finally gets to where it always belonged.
Free. Fixed. Fantastic.
Comunity Seamless Software Update

maemo
We are up for perfection.
Want to give it a test?
Comunity SeamlessSoftwareUpdate -- TESTING

maemo
at its best.
There's no more excuse not to get it, or do You want to keep those bugs forever?
Comunity SeamlessSoftwareUpdate -- STABLE

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-01-22 at 01:12.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I modified the aspect ratio and png sizes to fit the space on the right, so COMMUNITY SEAMLESS SOFTWARE UPDATE has gone again in two lines, and made a "both" version that tries to depict how stable emerges from testing, so we don't have to put two of them there. All my sources are in the zip file. Use Inkscape (or whatever you want, I just love Inkscape) to edit them, or produce bigger bitmaps of them.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip cssu logos.zip (157.8 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-01-22 at 14:04.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
SD69 in another thread asked for a cssu banner. I thought it deserves another thread so here it is.

I made one (in fact I just remade the official cssu icon and maemo banner in svg and compiled it with a cssu title for testing and stable and I will post it here. Feel free to modify it)
IMO the bar with "stable" should be the same dark orange as the TMO theme color.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
what about green color for stable, yellow for testing/stable, and red still for testing.

just suggesting

The Following User Says Thank You to ayos! For This Useful Post: