Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Of course it is optional. I never said otherwise. But Nokia does not issue any more updates so the CSSU is the only route for updated software, and I think we must communicate this to not tmo-frequent users of the N900. Thus I strongly believe the word update should stay there so that a glance is enough to capture the attention of interested folks. (And Harick, believe me users that are not regulars here do not know what an SSU is. Even technical-oriented ones as the term is not used outside the NIT camp)

The last word is always the user's but I think we owe to the CSSU developers and fellow N900 users a banner that informs that a software update is available. Nobody will be forced to install a software update because of a banner.

The tmo banner will be generic. The testing/stable banners are made for other uses (e.g. for use in the wiki, peoples' blogs or elsewhere)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
On banners, logos and other images, the less text, the better.

All such items should, however, be direct links to something with a full text version. This might be hover-over text, a link or the package info page in the package manager. Long version, when in prose; shortest possible version when alone (i.e. as image).
Here's why...
Community Seamless Software Updates - quite a mouthful!
Community Update - sounds like a newsletter.
Community SSU - is understood by TMO folks only.
CSS Update - something to do with web pages?
- The notion of what it is cannot be succinctly conveyed using a partial acronym.
CSSU - although not clear to non-tmo people, is visually succinct. So long as links and mouse-overs all work, the longhand name will be evident to all pretty rapidly.

Consider, if this were permitted in OVI store, what's the simplest means of getting the msg across and still being accurate?
...mmm I wonder what loopholes could be found so the cssu repo installer could get permitted to OVI store mmm...

Anyway, colour coding is a good idea. Is the testing so dangerous as to need to be red? I thought it was "stable with rough edges", not "expect reboots daily". Why not maemo orange be good for testing and either CSSU yellow or a lurid green for stable?

... just thinking aloud

BTW thanks for doing images so we can thrash this out with some sort of context.

Last edited by demolition; 2012-01-22 at 23:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
I agree with qwazix in that we want non-technical users to be able to see it and think "oh! there's an update". "Community Update" is sufficient for this purpose.

Qwazix: Those banners are sexy! Although it may be more practical to go with a solid gray cub, the grided cube is just so AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!! and badazz

IMO, this:

...version was best, and propositions after that, started to eats own tail. Including my own propositions
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Here's an idea on how to appease both "updates" and "CSSU" advocates.

Under Maemo.org, on the white background, put either "update(s)" or "community update(s)", as preferred.

In the coloured banner, add the prefix "CSSU-" to the relevant text, e.g. "CSSU-STABLE". (Or without a hyphen, if preferred.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kazzie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
On banners, logos and other images, the less text, the better.

All such items should, however, be direct links to something with a full text version. This might be hover-over text, a link or the package info page in the package manager.
I'm not sure I can get hover-over text even on maemo.org, so I think it's best not to rely on it.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by kazzie View Post
Here's an idea on how to appease both "updates" and "CSSU" advocates.

Under Maemo.org, on the white background, put either "update(s)" or "community update(s)", as preferred.

In the coloured banner, add the prefix "CSSU-" to the relevant text, e.g. "CSSU-STABLE". (Or without a hyphen, if preferred.)
I like the idea.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
hover text simultaneously with clickable link is a red flag for heavy users of touch devices, so doing this here is just... ironic.

On the other hand we can add CSSU on the colored stripe.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Community SSU - is understood by TMO folks only.
Is this a problem?
If you have a Nokia and don't realise what SSU stands for, where have you been.

Just type "SSU" in google, "Community SSU" is on the first page.

I agree with Estel, post 24.
Using Yellow/Orange for Stable and Red for Testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
It seems the discussion has ended. Please post or pm to me the final version of the banner.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: