Posts: 9 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Germany
Hi,

I might have done something stupid by tweaking my N9 (PR1.2 30.2012.07-1_PR_001), but can not reveal what is wrong and also looked through a lot of threads but have not found a hint, maybe someone may help me:

Since a few days my display will not shut off, power down anymore although set to go to sleep after 30sec. I tried all other time settings already, uninstalled the last added apps, changed developper mode on and off and much more things. Rebooting did not help either.

Please help, I currently have to switch off the display everytime manually otherwise the battery will be drained quickly. Setting the "standby screen" or or off does not affect the situation, also setting the energy saver mode to on/off/auto does not solve the problem.

I hope someone has some advice, your help is much apperciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Timm

Last edited by TimmW; 2012-03-29 at 19:16.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Back up the device and re-flash

Hmm,

seems that it is not a common issue. I'd hoped that someone would have a more differentiated advice, so let's see. Anyhow, I thought of a similar approach as I am running out of ideas.

So, does it mean a 'real re-flashing' following the hot rated thread here or might a reset from the phone's menue will do the job?

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tampere, Finland
I started having the same problems. The display does not switch off anymore after idling. Any new ideas on how to solve this? Gconf? Some ini file?

No idea whether this is related but I updated the maps in Maps application yesterday. The update seemed to leave the screen on. I manually switched the screen off with the power button but when I unlocked the phone again, the update and Maps had stopped. So I had to update again and leave phone unlocked and let it update. So could this update have left my N9 in some invalid state?

Thanks already for the answers!

Hi,

unfortunately the only thing that helped me out was the stupid thing to reset my phone. I checked a lot of things and also the suspicion that a particular app or tool I installed might have caused the problem. But meanwhile I have "manually restored" the old state and bunch of apps I also had before and the problem did not show up again.

So, would be cool to know at least afterwards what was the problem, so anyone having an idea or a hint is highly welcome ;-)

Good luck and best regards.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think that reflashing has more chances to solve your problem. That reset switch will kill more of your data, and I am not sure it will reset everything. Maemo doesn't have a ROM partition with the factory settings like symbian does. Reflashing restores the OS to factory, but your application settings and data stay intact (unless you flash MyDocs too)

EDIT: A minute too late...
Happy you solved it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Reflashing restores the OS to factory, but your application settings and data stay intact (unless you flash MyDocs too)
I was not so aware about the differences of re-flashing vs. re-setting but at some point I think I feel even saver to correct the problem whatever it was - although it was some more work ...

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
EDIT: A minute too late...
Happy you solved it.
Like it, that this forum is well lived !

Thanks for the info. I'll try too seek for some easier fix first but if I can't find one then I guess I'll go with the re-flash. Never done that so the threshold to do that is a bit high Any help/tips are still welcome about the problem!

SOLVED!

The problem was that /system/osso/dsm/display/inhibit_blank_mode GConf value was invalid. It had value 3 (Inhibit dimming/blanking) instead of the valid value 0 (No display blanking inhibit).

So the fix was to run this command in terminal:
Code:
gconftool -s --type int /system/osso/dsm/display/inhibit_blank_mode 0
I guess using GConfik app works too but it seemed to change the type of the property from Int to String (so I guess terminal command is safer).

The solution was found by googling what each relevant "display" gconf property meant and this came up: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...rs/61201#61201

The Following User Says Thank You to terohe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
This worked for me.

I am curious as to what causes this to happen (low-power screen/display no longer blanks out when the sensor is covered). Strange. By the way I only experience this whenever I have NITDroid (Alpha 3) installed. Could that be causing it?

In the link you provided, one of them said that:

On 11/05/2010 12:54, David Weinehall wrote:
> An (undocumented) alternative is:
>
>
Code:
gconftool -s --type int /system/osso/dsm/display/inhibit_blank_mode 3
>
> Replace the 3 for whatever inhibit mode you want:
>
> 0 -- No display blanking inhibit
> 1 -- Inhibit dimming/blanking if charger is connected