Poll: Will you buy the Jolla phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Jolla phone?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Specs posted:
http://www.gsmarena.com/jolla_jolla-5457.php

I'm not in a pre-order country, but I think I'm in for one. Stereo speakers clinched it, even if there is no hardware keyboard. I hope MartinK is cooking up a version of Modrana to work on it.
[Offtopic]
This is probadly NOT official specs. Probadly based on Rumors and guess.

For example I am not sure we will see all those closed crap video codecs supported on the phone because of patent issues.

"Sensors Accelerometer, proximity, compass"

Not official AFAIK

"Java Yes, via Java MIDP emulator"

Since when???

[/Offtopic]

"NFC Yes"

Asked for this some days ago JollaHQ said "will be shared later" However its probadly IS true because of the other half.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-05-25 at 09:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
This is an entirely reasonable perspective and yet also interesting given the fact that with the standard life cycle of modern smart phones frequently being tied to the duration of the contracts that they may be acquired on and the actual hardware itself (be it specs or capabilities), most people move on after 18-24 months.
Certainly after sales support and updates are important, but what benchmark should we apply to Jolla?
The same as Nokia with the N900 or N9 (the n9 in my opinion, despite the "wontfix"es recieved a good level of support and many more updates than most Android handsets), the same as most android OEM's?
In the app-centric marketplace that the mobile space has become, I will be interested to see how Jolla manage the development and expansion of native apps. Having a viable and functional Dalvik layer is all good as a stop gap, but can't guarantee 100% integration with the core OS and shouldn't be seen as a replacement for development.

BB have invested a fortune recruiting and assisting devs and it has worked, certainly with regarding to rapidly building the numbers in their app store. Jolla has neither the funds or capability to do this and will have to rely on piggybacking on to existing conferences and hacker activities.
With Qt Developer Days not until the last quarter of the year, I expect to see a high level of interest there, but little time
beyond that, before christmas to build and deploy through a QA process to an app store/market front before release.
they'll certainly need more applications to support launch that what they have HERE right now
Updates depends of two factors:

1. If they success or not.(this is VERY important factor)

2. How much the cooperate with the open community. Right now it looks like they working very much upstream with merproject and nemo. (Just take a look at the github and you see alot

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-05-25 at 09:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Exactly my thoughts. I don't want another dead-end phone.
What exactly is a dead end phone? I have been using various phones the last couple of years and I can't say I have seen much better support. I have three androids in my family stuck to 2.1 2.2 and 2.3 respectively, all newer than the N900. Symbia phones of the same era are stuck to the horrible s60v5. Only apple supports 3 generations, but the downside to that is that afterwards they kill them with fire. It's virtually impossible even for the developer to support iPhone 3g right now as there isn't even any target in the sdk. And with the closed ecosystem the user isn't even able to hack his own solutions. On the contrary, when evernote changed API somebody promptly jumped in and fixed qvernote for the N900.

My point is, grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Dudes, I don't know whether this was already commented, but the description for pre-orders at http://join.jolla.com has changed. Especially for 100€ choice, there is NO MENTION of the OH, except in the title (I think they have not changed, but they will). Maybe the limited time period already expired? I wonder if Dave got his pre-order placed.

The Following User Says Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
@jollahq just tweet there will be some news comming week

Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
What exactly is a dead end phone? I have been using various phones the last couple of years and I can't say I have seen much better support. I have three androids in my family stuck to 2.1 2.2 and 2.3 respectively, all newer than the N900. Symbia phones of the same era are stuck to the horrible s60v5. Only apple supports 3 generations, but the downside to that is that afterwards they kill them with fire. It's virtually impossible even for the developer to support iPhone 3g right now as there isn't even any target in the sdk. And with the closed ecosystem the user isn't even able to hack his own solutions. On the contrary, when evernote changed API somebody promptly jumped in and fixed qvernote for the N900.

My point is, grass isn't always greener on the other side.
What makes a phone alive? APPS

An alive phone has an app for everything and major software companies are making hundreds of apps for it.

When would we decide if the Jolla's phone is an alive phone and not a dead-end phone? when it has an app for *everything*. Official apps for twitter, facebook, instagram, whatsapp, vibe, line, etc. When there are thousand of (good) games available. When your banks are releasing online-banking apps for your phone, etc. That's an alive phone.

The N900 was dead a year after it was released and the N9 was dead even before its release. I don't buy phones every 18 months and I don't want to. I want my phone to last 5 years. Since smartphones came in I had a Palm Treo for around 5 years, then a Palm Centro for another 5 years, and now I have the N900 for the last 4 years and I will change it next year for something that will last another 5 years.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
What makes a phone alive? APPS

An alive phone has an app for everything and major software companies are making hundreds of apps for it.

When would we decide if the Jolla's phone is an alive phone and not a dead-end phone? when it has an app for *everything*. Official apps for twitter, facebook, instagram, whatsapp, vibe, line, etc. When there are thousand of (good) games available. When your banks are releasing online-banking apps for your phone, etc. That's an alive phone.

The N900 was dead a year after it was released and the N9 was dead even before its release. I don't buy phones every 18 months and I don't want to. I want my phone to last 5 years. Since smartphones came in I had a Palm Treo for around 5 years, then a Palm Centro for another 5 years, and now I have the N900 for the last 4 years and I will change it next year for something that will last another 5 years.
So you will buy Lumia 1000 and have it 5 years

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
I think i'm gonna buy a N950 and flash it with a Sailfish image. That will make me happy. Love the phone, dual-boot with two awesome OSes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
So you will buy Lumia 1000 and have it 5 years
I need fully Linux and full multitasking.

Lumias are beautiful devices. If you ever get one in your hands you'll see they are gorgeous.

But then you install an SSH Client. Connect, you receive a message, switch application, answer the message, go back to the SSH Session: connection dropped. You can't switch your SSH application without disconnecting.

That's why I can't get a Lumia.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
Maybe I'll buy the Jolla phone, but not sure and if I buy it probably I'll wait until a certain time after it gets released.
Right now I'm more than happy with the N900 as main and daily phone. Not even the N9 has achieved replace it. N9 is great and I love Meego and is fast, beautiful and swiping is fantastic, but N900 is perfect for me, and with applications as Yappari, Pierogi, QDL etc etc receiving updates I don't think i am going to replace it in a long time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fatalist For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy, gy_wp_sy, jolla, jolla phone, theoclueless, theotool