Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sad news for Jolla

I will be leaving SailfishOS and get back to Harmattan/N9

https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-48632

Is a brilliant example of how Jolla secured their devices on behalf of customers ability to play with their open device

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Welcome back Never liked Jolla and now I know why... Just as locked as androids
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Welcome back Never liked Jolla and now I know why... Just as locked as androids
No, worse, I can recover any Android device.
Jolla delibaretly choosed to lock the bootloader, and at the same time stating this voids all warranty.
Well, they got the last of my money. Ever!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Ooh.. I thought that jolla could (with much of imagination) be the next n900!
And of course more open than the android, but it is obvious that what everyone expected from this phone is kind of lost!

I mean there were so many expectations for this phone and the last months I always read about closed sources and stuff!

Let's hope that they will understand why everyone(especially in here) chose jolla instead of android!

The Following User Says Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
nobody ever said unlocking your boot loader will void your warrenty. i think the issue is more that theres no way to completely reflash tje device

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
nobody ever said unlocking your boot loader will void your warrenty. i think the issue is more that theres no way to completely reflash tje device
If the bootloader was not locked, I would have recovered by now, believe me. Unfortunately, the updates does not check if bootloader have been unlocked, and then keep it this way.
Instead, it is re-locked and if you are not able to boot to the recovery (like my case) You are not able to unlock it again.

1) Not being able to enter the recovery
2) And, not having an unlocked bootloader
3) result = not being able to restore device

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Sad news for Jolla

I will be leaving SailfishOS and get back to Harmattan/N9

https://together.jolla.com/question/...#post-id-48632

Is a brilliant example of how Jolla secured their devices on behalf of customers ability to play with their open device
Good sense for drama but what about just sending it back to Jolla care after complaining your phone does not boot anymore?

I have been sending mine x times and waited in total more than one month during shipping.

If Jolla would be non supporting you can always argue your contributions were worth more than a flash rom.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Good sense for drama but what about just sending it back to Jolla care after complaining your phone does not boot anymore?

I have been sending mine x times and waited in total more than one month during shipping.

If Jolla would be non supporting you can always argue your contributions were worth more than a flash rom.
LOL, I have already a statement saying "going from 1.0.0.5 directly to 1.0.7.16 is not the proper way", so there you go. As expected.
What makes me wonder, why is it then that the device actually tells you an update to 1.0.7.18 (in my case, yes, not 1.0.7.16) is available to install?

Anyways. I lost some €400 + case and kiera black, another €50 or so (I dont care about that I gave what I consider donation for toholed, thats a benefit).

Oh well, you live and learn. But I am so far disappointed, not only for my self, but for all the other - how many ? that WILL end up in a similar situation with their devices.

I know what I am doing (mostly), I have a dump of the NAND, I (had) and unlocked bootloader, I HAVE recovered from boot-loops multiple times.

But, not without recovery partition and def. not with locked boot loader.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Maybe you have explained too much to customer care.

You are a technical person but I think in this case you should hold back and just send it for "not starting correctly, me know nothing".

I also like to know what is your minimal contribution cost in this case to have it "repaired".

Anyway I understand your regret about the bootloader as well as your reaction. Good luck!

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
system wont ask you to update from 1.0.0.5 to 1.0.7.16 directly. It will install 1.0.2.5 first, then 1.0.4.20, and then 1.0.7.16.

I'm not saying it only your fault. It's bot your and Jolla fault.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:

Tags
failfish, not unlike