I'm currently a Samsung Galaxy S2 user and am looking for a change and to get off Android. My initial thought was to get a Jolla phone but being in the US on T-mobile I'm not sure that the current Jolla phone is going to work and really be suitable so I'm considering the N9 as a stop gap until something else comes along.

My concern is that the N9 is not going to fulfil my daily needs which apart from phone calls and text messaging include e-mail (multiple accounts), multiple calendars and contacts syncing to my caldav and carddav server, the ability to make calls over SIP, Firefox browser, maps and navigation. I'm not bothered about social media and can forgo the other apps I use on my Android device.

I've done some reading and the N9 seems to be able to cope with my needs apart from potential issues with the caldav and carddav syncing. Has anyone got this working reliably?

What is the general reliability of the phone like?
Are there any issues with the usb port breaking or stop working?
Will it seem or feel slower than my Galaxy S2?

Is there any reason not to get the N9?

For around $250 it seems a good deal if it performs well. Where is the best place to purchase a N9 in the US? Amazon?

I'd appreciate any advice or opinions.

The Following User Says Thank You to G66J For This Useful Post:
Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
You get it much cheaper than 250$ atleast in Finland.

I can only say that Firefox for N9 is pretty slow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
Anything other than android is good for your health.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
I loved the N9. After almost 2 years, I had the feeling the battery became less powerful. Used 5 e-mail accounts on Exchange, IMAP, Google, worked fine. Maps, AGTL (geocaching). Never used SIP. The coolest thing is you can work it with one hand. Good luck!

Thanks for the opinions. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get one.

I just need confirmation of caldav and carddav support even if it's not native. From my research caldav support seems baked into the OS but carddav is not. Is there any other way to sync contacts with a carddav server? I'm a Linux user so any MS specific solutions won't help me.

N9 is a great phone. I used mine for a year and still use it off and on. My sticking points is when the sms problem pops up where it shows another contact name instead of the phone your sending the sms to. When the gallery doesnt refresh, that's a huge mission. other than that,it can be laggy sometimes but fasterN9 smooths it out pretty good. Swipe is heaven and you'll never want another phone.

Originally Posted by Maserti View Post
N9 is a great phone. I used mine for a year and still use it off and on. My sticking points is when the sms problem pops up where it shows another contact name instead of the phone your sending the sms to. When the gallery doesnt refresh, that's a huge mission. other than that,it can be laggy sometimes but fasterN9 smooths it out pretty good. Swipe is heaven and you'll never want another phone.
Do these bugs occur frequently or do they only crop up infrequently and relate to more specific configurations or setups? I've read that the N9 can become laggy but then so does my GS2 at times. If it's smooth 90% of the time then that's fine with me.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
My last N9 was damaged (my mistake) and I went straight for another! I love it and I would use it till the end of times if that were possible. It's imho even more intuitive in some aspects than the upcoming sailfish OS (what I can tell so far....)

However, be aware that harmattan is dead in the eyes of nokia and only receives support through the community. That means no bug fixes for mail, browser,.... as these parts are closed source!

Also, new features will only come to the N9 via the community devs.

As for the performance, mine is fluent in everyday use and pretty reliable as long as you don't modify it beyond your understanding....

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by G66J View Post
Do these bugs occur frequently or do they only crop up infrequently and relate to more specific configurations or setups? I've read that the N9 can become laggy but then so does my GS2 at times. If it's smooth 90% of the time then that's fine with me.
I've never had either of those (2 years my main phone). My biggest annoyances was that gtalk would go offline and require a reboot after roughly 2 weeks of uptime, and that the mail client had severe slowness problems with my huge gmail inbox after some months. Removing and re-setting the account solves the problem, but it's still annoying to have to wait when you just want to send off a quick note.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by mcbook View Post
My last N9 was damaged (my mistake) and I went straight for another! I love it and I would use it till the end of times if that were possible. It's imho even more intuitive in some aspects than the upcoming sailfish OS (what I can tell so far....)

However, be aware that harmattan is dead in the eyes of nokia and only receives support through the community. That means no bug fixes for mail, browser,.... as these parts are closed source!

Also, new features will only come to the N9 via the community devs.

As for the performance, mine is fluent in everyday use and pretty reliable as long as you don't modify it beyond your understanding....
What bugs does the email app have? Are they rudimentary that affect daily use of the app or more quirky and less intrusive? Has Wasn't a 3rd party mail app ever developed by the community or developer that we could substitute? I assume Firefox isn't updated for Harmatten any more either. it's a shame that Nokia didn't release the sources once they decided to abandon the OS. It would have been a great gesture.