Posts: 55 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Switzerland
A teaser from my thread on QtDevDays:

* Development opportunities:
- Desktop: yes, clearly in the focus
- Mobile: "You will see something coming... This is all Nokia is ready to say now!" (Seems clearly to indicate some big announcement by tomorrow at the Nokia World event!!)

Edit: well, I was wrong for an announcement at the Nokia World event... I still expect to get some announcement about the future of Qt on mobile Nokia devices though, but I hope it will be soon enough...

Last edited by 0x4e84; 2011-10-31 at 08:19. Reason: was wrong for the time being...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 0x4e84 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by whayong View Post
But there are things that it does better than the N900. Aside from what was already mentioned by Mikescomputing, out of the box, navigation,
Not exactly the same feature set as N8, but N9 ships with voice guided navigation (a 'drive' app).

doc editing
AFAIK, N9 has doc editing for many formats.

MMS support
There out-the-box.

3G video calling
Unsure.

USB OTG
Not working out-the-box, but a developer (who has been working on host mode enabler for N900) who has been working on N950, and seems to think an app will be able to accomplish it, was provided an N9 to work on this.

, are a few tricks it has up its sleeve. There are also IMO better versions of some apps in S^3 like Sports Tracker vs ECoach etc...
Both SportsTracker and eCoach (a different version than for N900) are available for N9.

In the end, it all comes down to what you need in a device and what you can live WITHOUT and not what you can live with. I find myself in a curious situation because there are times I needed the functionality of one over the other, hence why I carry both devices with me all the time (I have a roaming sim from another country on the N900) since december 2010. I guess what I had hopped the N9 would be is a full combination of an N900 + N8 (=N9), all the goods in each device into one, instead of the "compromised" device that Nokia is now calling the N9.
What is compromised in N9, that is not compromised in N8?

N9 is compromised by the lack of 'ecosystem', the 'Qt ecosystem', which is one the N8 shares.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Seeing as how Nokia ads have been incredibly tacky and lackluster...
Opinion stated as fact: Fail

Bad opinion stated as fact: Major fail

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
considering the places the N9 is not available because nokia want/need their wp7 range to sell i can see why they would restrict sales in certain countries/regions based on this. The people in the officially announced countries seem to be able to get it from well known stores on and offline. we all know where it's not being officially released so we shouldnt be surprised that major retailers aren't stocking it as they will probably have to buy through a 3rd party to get it.

and amazon are selling it, just depends on the country your in but i don't fancy €709 for a 64gb from Germany.
The fact that the WP7 Nokia phones might not make it into the US until 2012, there's no collision. In fact, it probably wouldn't hurt sales at all.

Amazon.de is the only place I think I've heard of being sold - but is it sold directly by Amazon or by some of these aforementioned second through fourth tier retailers?

That's a legitimate question that I cannot answer quickly.

But, I do get what you're saying and agree. If they are trying not to cannibalize any potential WP7 sales, then not offering the N9 in that region makes sense. Problem is, that's assuming that they'll even have any WP7 sales to begin with...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
I'm just thankful that there's not yet a port of mupen64 and the sixasis stuff..

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The fact that the WP7 Nokia phones might not make it into the US until 2012, there's no collision. In fact, it probably wouldn't hurt sales at all.

Amazon.de is the only place I think I've heard of being sold - but is it sold directly by Amazon or by some of these aforementioned second through fourth tier retailers?

But, I do get what you're saying and agree. If they are trying not to cannibalize any potential WP7 sales, then not offering the N9 in that region makes sense. Problem is, that's assuming that they'll even have any WP7 sales to begin with...
Yeah, it not like you saving your money and wait for WP7. You buy something else instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
The Nokia N800 WP7 phone looks exactly like the N9 so you can understand why Nokia will not sell N9 in countries where they expect to make a splash with their WP7 phones. Nokia isn't taking any chances with N9 cannibalizing their beloved Microsoft phones.

In retrospect this is a strategy of desperation. Elop is desperate for WP7 to succeed so he can justify jumping into bed with Microsoft. And yes, I think Meego can easily eat WP7 for lunch if Nokia were to support it wholeheartedly. Which shouldn't be a problem for Nokia because a sale of N9 is still a sale for Nokia. But where will that leave Elop?

The countries which Nokia won't sell the N9 are those with high population densities like U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Italy, India, etc. With Symbian being killed off and only one Meego phone, Elop has put all of Nokia's eggs in one basket now. If their WP7 phones don't sell like crazy, Nokia is doomed but Microsoft will be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

it's not a third party on amazon as far as my bad german can tell, i looked looked for that first. maybe a fluent german speaker/reader can confirm 100%
it is a shame how they are releasing it as i don't think it would effect their wp7 sales, people who want the n9 are people who know about it. if they released a wp7 device at the same time most people would end up with the wp7 due to the heavy marketing by microsoft and nokia. they might lose some sales to the n9 but it's still money in their pocket. what i wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall for a few of their meetings where they make the decisions.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I see that mobile hellas has listed the N9 (all colour/mem cobinations which sounds weird already - and with the extraterrestrial price of 750€ for the 64GB) and called to ask if they have it in stock. The landline diverted to an answering machine. The mobile they have on their website rang 4 times, and as I was ready to hang up (waiting for the proximity sensor to realize the N900 is not near my face anymore) I heard somebody answering 'hello' and then they hung up on me. I called again but they refused the call. Zoxir, giorgosmit have you had any experience with that store? They have pretty good prices on other nokia phones (X7, E6, but no E7 unfortunately).

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by oweng View Post
I couldn't help but ping an email to Mr Elop on this subject.... (stephen.elop@nokia.com)

"Hi Stephen,

Welcome to London for this week’s event, I wish you every success.

I’m afraid the N9 is proving elusive in the UK, particularly with established online retailers like expansys or amazon.

I would like to purchase a black 64GB version – please could you point me in the right direction.

Oh by the way, it’s a shame that Nokia haven’t licensed Adobe flash for use with the webkit browser or the third party fennec browser.
It’s also a shame to overlook the option to include Myriad’s Alien Dalvik or openmobileww.com’s ACL to allow access to a wealth of Android’s apps.

Just out of interest, other than by buying and android phone with full adobe flash support, how would you suggest that I view embedded video content on the BBC’s website? This was possible on my N900 until the promised flash 10 upgrade and support was dropped.

Would you recommend the new Samsung Nexus Prime as I am unaware of a Nokia product which can allow me to perform this basic function?

It would be great to hear back from you or perhaps from someone who can assist me in greater depth.

Many thanks,

Owen"
Mr Elop has replied:

"Thanks for the note ... I believe we will be making N9's available
for general ordering in Europe through one of the Amazon sites, although supplies are very short right now given early success.

My recommendation regarding BBC is not for you to buy Android, but for us to do some work to ensure that a great BBC experience is also available on our platforms

Regards,

Stephen"

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????