Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
According to the director of Nokia Netherlands, Nokia has no alternative ready in case Windows Phone based smart phones don't sell well.

He declares to tweakers.net: " We have no plan B Windows Phone has to succeed"

It remains unclear what will happen when Nokia's Windows Phone devices turn out not to be as successful as Microsoft and Nokia are hoping.

"Plan B is Plan A: making devices with Windows Phone. It HAS to succeed", declares the director of Nokia Netherlands, Sebastiaan Silfhout in the interview with Tweakers.net

Last Wednesday Nokia has announced its first two Windows Phone based devices, the Lumia 710 and the Lumia 800.
"It does not need to succeed with those two devices from the start" according to Van Silfhout. "In 2012 we are going to release many more devices with Windows Phone. We need to see how fast people will pick up Windows Phone."

There for the mobile phone manufacturer will concentrate on making people aware about Windows Phone.
Nokia really needs a big sales success in the Netherlands, reckons Van Silfhout.
"We need to turn the tide and we want to do that with Windows Phone".

The Lumia 800, the first Nokia Windows Phone will be released in six countries, amongst which the Netherlands.
The device will be available in stores from 17th of November onward for the price of Euro 499 incl. VAT. The Lumia 710 will cost Euro 320.

Original article.
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/77655/nok...e-mislukt.html

Note that Tweakers.net last week reviewed the N9.
Apart from the usual dead os talk, they were very impressed.
Title of the review "Nokia N9 Lonely at the top"

http://tweakers.net/reviews/2293/nok...an-de-top.html

Let's hope people do get aware of Windows Phone soon enough to leave Nokia some juice to return back to plan A+ Maemo 6

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Hum, they really want to destroy nokia. no plan B?? ah ah...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gruik For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
that looks to me like damage control for the rumours about N9 successor. I believe there is one but they cannot afford such publicity right now.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
If the Nokia Windows Phone fails to sell, Microsoft may encourage Nokia to take the Android route. Sure, that won't have the glory that selling their own products would bring. But, the bottom line has always been more important for Microsoft than their pride. Extorting patent payments from Android device manufacturers is proving to be a better business for MS than trying to sell an OS nobody wants.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Nokia talks. In another interview this genius declares:

Worldwide Nokia is under heavy pressure on the smartphone market. Is the launch of Windows Phone meant to turn the tide?
This is the first step to regain market share compared to our competitors.
Our ambition is to make this OS a good alternative to Android and Apple.
We would like settle firmly in the world's top 3.
There is no way back. Plan A is also plan B.

Then you will have to convince BlackBerry, iPhone of Samsung users to chose for Windows Phone.

How do you expect to reach that goal?

I don't think that we have to target users of other smartphones.
We will aim for the group of jong people aged between 20 and 34 that contains also business customers and that are thinking of exchanging their classic mobile for a smarthone.

Will we see more product launches in the future?

“We have presented our first Windows Phone, but this will not remain the only one.
It is not without a reason that we have launched these smartphones three times as fast as would normally be the case.
We are back on track and we expect a lot of these new devices.
We want to make this platform big all over the world.”

The Netherlands is one of six countries where the Windows Phone is to be released first. What's the reason behind that?

The Netherlands is one of the most important smartphonecountries in Europe with a high usag of mobile internet.
The device will be for sale 17th of November at KPN, Hi, Vodafone, Belcompany en Phonehouse.
The expectations are high. It's now up to us to make the consumers aware and to convince them.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/dft/nieuws_d...?sn=nieuws_dft

Now finally I understand, Nokia hasn't gone insane.
It is just that I am not Nokia's targeted end-user anymore.
Wrong age category, I have no iOS, Blackberry, iPhone, nor am I still using a cheap flip model classic mobile. I am already aware of Windows Phone, have already experienced full featured smartphones.
I am wasted forever, unable to enjoy mobile life ahead.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2011-10-26 at 15:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
that looks to me like damage control for the rumours about N9 successor. I believe there is one but they cannot afford such publicity right now.
Agreed. Companies don't ever have Plan B available in this kind of situation (or at least I haven't ever heard about such case).

Not until Plan A fails, that is.

Last edited by JiiHoo; 2011-10-26 at 15:55.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
According to the director of Nokia Netherlands, Nokia has no alternative ready in case Windows Phone based smart phones don't sell well.
What do you think he meant by "in case"?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Some people will buy WP just to have a Nokia phone. These numbers will make (hopefully) WP relevant in the market (10% market share?).
If this goal is reached, then WP, which is not necessarily worse than BB for example, will be considered as a player on its own, gaining traction for what it is (a middle-middle OS with powerfull developpers backing, ie something that could work).

It is very important for both Nokia and WP that WP reaches this critical market share, in the relevant markets. And that is why they are pushing so hard in these markets (even against their own handsets), and why they cannot say that there are other options for Nokia. It doesn't really mean that they don't, though.

Yeah it's just marketing BS.. there must be plan B to save the boat.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Yeah it's just marketing BS.. there must be plan B to save the boat.
You are making perfectly understandable mistake by assuming that Nokia management and logic are in some way connected.

They are not.