Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
just wonder what nokia has on pipe on NWC 2013 a cameraphone runing sailfishos?
Phablet running WP8 GDR3, bringing 1080p screen and quad core. Camera with PureView or lytro type camera thanks to Pelican investments.
Sailfish Nokia phone wont happen before Nokia is on a solid ground. Investors at this point wont accept Nokia to start pouring money to something like Sailfish, Android might be a different story.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Hi all

It seems "obvious" to me there should be a DUAL SIM option with the other half.
1- Not everyone wants this, but it's great for people who want a phone for personal and business, so it makes sense to have it as a add-on feature. Plus.. you can always leave that half at home when on holiday !
2- Some markets can only be addressed if you have dual sim, and these are huge markets : INDIA, CHINA, and even if smartphones might be to some extent too expensive, Africa and the middle east.

To be great, this other half should be able to snap in a extra SIM card, maybe extra battery life and stay compact.

Some people have already manufactured ipod touch cases which include one or even two sims.

So it's really doable and there is a huge market for this (again, some businness men + big countries such as india and china)

Hope this message finds the right people !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Dual sim you people have realise that this means even more connnectors on other half? I doubt you will see that coming.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by nicd View Post
Hi all

It seems "obvious" to me there should be a DUAL SIM option with the other half.
1- Not everyone wants this, but it's great for people who want a phone for personal and business, so it makes sense to have it as a add-on feature. Plus.. you can always leave that half at home when on holiday !
2- Some markets can only be addressed if you have dual sim, and these are huge markets : INDIA, CHINA, and even if smartphones might be to some extent too expensive, Africa and the middle east.

To be great, this other half should be able to snap in a extra SIM card, maybe extra battery life and stay compact.

Some people have already manufactured ipod touch cases which include one or even two sims.

So it's really doable and there is a huge market for this (again, some businness men + big countries such as india and china)

Hope this message finds the right people !
From an EE perspective I don't see how that can be done, at least without dedicated pins from cellmodem to OH, or with massive tweaks to the cmt firmware to talk to SIM via proxy on AP. [edit] AFAIK even Nokia discontinued their own cell modem branch, and I highly doubt Jolla has the manpower to develop and certify their own modem chip and FW, and they don't have the marketshare/volume to talk modem manufacturers into granting them access to cmt FW on a "do tweaks to it as you like" level.
Well, there's a SIM remote access thing that might or might not be supported by the modem Jolla used on their phone. If such thing is available, it could get exploited.

That's exactly the problem with this OH concept: you can't do everything via a "USB" 4 pin connector.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-07-14 at 13:17.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Jolla can save some cost and earn more money by removing the back camera, some people(like male teenagers serving national service in singapore) need that kind of non-camera smart phone in a certain workplace and army camp

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Jolla can save some cost and earn more money by removing the back camera, some people(like male teenagers serving national service in singapore) need that kind of non-camera smart phone in a certain workplace and army camp
The camera is pretty bad so I'm sure its allowed

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It's probably already decided that the other half will be a kind of backcover but if it was my decision, I would really split the phone in half, and put the camera and battery in the back. This would allow more upgradeability and really different configurations for different usecases. Want a cheap slim phone? Buy it with a 5mpix shooter and a small battery. Want a camera; get the 12mp protruding back with tripod mount. Back cover may also hold extra emmc.

It has it's drawbacks that backcovers won't be cheap, so getting more of them just to change colors won't be easy, but we have cases for that

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
That makes so much sense it should be Tweeted directly to them...
Not that it really matters now, it's pretty clear it's going to be some kind of back-cover, but perhaps for the next ph it can be a consideration, if there is a next one.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
[...]Back cover may also hold extra emmc.
t
And EXTRA-BUTTONS, a lot of them. Operating a camera via touchscreen exclusively is a PITA
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
And EXTRA-BUTTONS, a lot of them. Operating a camera via touchscreen exclusively is a PITA
/j
yeah, THAT!

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Tags
half-assed?, irfmtransceiver, jolla, the other half, voting for nemo