Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I'm proposing a lighter process at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...45&postcount=5 Any specific reason why we should go for the wiki page & committee instead? I'm hapopy evolving or changing the initial proposal - for a known and good reason.
I am thinking about a commitee because I think there is more to good software development than what end users see with a first glance, but it was just brainstorming from zero base, it's not that I have something against what you proposed.

I would leave Qt 5 apps from the Code Competition. Qt 5 can cause a lot of frustration to someone jumping in unaware of its status and the reasons why things are the way they are. It will be different when it's final and stable.
What I was trying to say, but obviously I didn't make it clear is this:
As it is -not- the scope of the competition to award devices to updates, maybe this activity (Qt5 on N9) could have some devices dedicated to successful porting of select apps from Qt4 to Qt5.

I agree that Qt5 shold be left out of the maemo.org coding competition

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The first time the idea was proposed was here.

"- Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting, infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion..."

Then I believe the conclusion was to wait for the new Council (but I might be wrong since that discussion had many posts).
I think these are the last postings on the community awards. Criteria to be agreed upon now to allow plenty of time for nominations, but winners to be selected under supervision of new council. Glad to have more discussion of it, but if not let's get it started.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005223.html

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ay/005257.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
When you say 25 devices for Community Awards.. What do you mean by that? I'm in no way a dev.. But I would like to help out and maybe get a prize.. Is there a chance for me to do so?

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
When you say 25 devices for Community Awards.. What do you mean by that? I'm in no way a dev.. But I would like to help out and maybe get a prize.. Is there a chance for me to do so?
25 people get 1 each of (N950? N9?) for being helpful to the Maemo community.

They're probably going to be nominated by fellow community members or something.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Yeah, I just went through the entire thread and read it all... But what I still don't get is how do I beta test if I don't currently have an N9? (Gave mine to my brother who's now in Jordan)... I do have an N900 though... Otherwise I am going to try my best to be active everywhere... I've been promoting Nokia verbally since forever, and I do get a lot of compliments for my N900 after I show it off and say what it can do... And just today I got someone really interested with the white Nokia N9 at my work... Actually all I had to do is introduce it to him and tell him all about it and showed him a picture of it... He went bananas!!!

@bandora

Community Awards is rather recognition of past deeds, not a way to make people sing hymns about Nokia's greatness for a upcoming month, just to get devices

No one said it's last device program - do great things, and You might have chances in next summer. Why not?
---

As for Community Awards, I would do that people interested in getting one just "nominate" themselves - this will save us any "bad blood" with people nominating others.

Personally, I think it's even unnecessary to write a motivation - people are well known for their deeds to Community, so there should be no problem with selecting people getting prizes. AFAIK, most Council candidates are very active, so next Council won't have a problem with giving proper recognition.
---

As we already know about deciding body for community awards, maybe it's good time to open submissions? New Council will decide about winners, but there is no need to wait for new Council to actually *start* submitting, at least, if we really want to give long time for submissions, and let people receive devices in Summer, not Autumn

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-19 at 06:58.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

- Getting developers to play with the new toys: Qt Quick 2, textures, transitions, graphics / video effects, raw OpenGL ES stuff, post-Mobility APIs, the new Qt WebKit, JSON DB, ongoing R&D on PhoneGap own JQuery based experiments...
I would LOVE to do some raw OpenGL ES stuff, maybe get a nice engine running (http://cubeengine.com/forum.php4?act...thread_id=2534).

Where do i apply? I was thinking of making a game, or maybe just to enhance the capabilities of Qt GameEnabler with some more frameworks, to ease media app development. (i also have my own media framework http://www.naprava.net/)

BTW I do already have an app in the store: http://store.ovi.com/content/196436

Thanks for this opportunity!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slavko321 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Unhappy if we do it, unhappy if we don't do it...

I have proposed this activity because there is a community here, there are some devices somewhere, some people had suggested to do more seeding activities, Summer is coming and we could work on some cool things.

If you still find this disturbing that's ok, but please let those of us having fun keeping working on this.
Thank-you for organizing this QGil...
Sorry I pestered you for mths about it, to the point of me getting angry when you flat-out said "No."
That was approx. 3mth ago, glad to hear it is in-fact happening now!
Pretty woeful no. of devices compared to what's happened for WP, but better than nothing!

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-21 at 10:19. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I think these are the last postings on the community awards. Criteria to be agreed upon now to allow plenty of time for nominations, but winners to be selected under supervision of new council. Glad to have more discussion of it, but if not let's get it started.

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005223.html

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ay/005257.html
So we have this thread for Qt5 & Nokia Store, & another for the Coding Competition.
Where's the thread for Community Awards, or hasn't it shifted from the mail-list yet?
According to the wiki entry it's still "coming soon"....

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-21 at 10:41. Reason: typo

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
If you're struggling for a name, "Maemopalooza 2012" has a nice ring to it. Indeed Perry Farrell may well turn up if you ask him. He demands a boxfresh N950 though.