Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
exactly.
well, we could find out about used up tokens, though the current system doesn't support it. It would need to get hacked, but the info about used tokens needs to stay in the database to block double votes (actually that info is stored in records NOT existing anymore for used tokens, but that's as good an info as any other form, since the still existing records are for the tokens that aren't used up yet), and since your token mail can get resent, we have also a table which relates tokens to mailaddr. So in principle there's a way to tell who (not) voted. But not for what.
/j
Apologies, it may be due to my fatigue (LOTS happening IRL lately)...
But I'm having problems making 100% sense of your sentence structure (above).
I don't suppose you could explain again, but slightly more concisely if possible?
Thanks regardless for your efforts thus far....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-01 at 15:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Apologies, it may be due to my fatigue (LOTS happening IRL lately)...
But I'm having problems making 100% sense of your sentence structure (above).
I don't suppose you could explain again, but slightly more concisely if possible?
Thanks regardless for your efforts thus far....
At most admins can only see who didn't vote but nobody can see how people voted. Your vote is confidential and only you once completed your vote are issued with a random token which isn't printed or saved anywhere.

The system is pretty secure and anonymous this way

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So it's 100% not possible (even for admins) to tell: (1) who voted, & (2) for what?
Correct. As noted by Joerg, one could tell from the unused tokens who voted and who didn't, There's no way to tell who voted for what though, unless they make their post-vote token public. Also, as elections end and their results are stored, election tokens tend to get wiped out, since they're no longer useful and take up space. So after that, it's not even possible to tell who did or didn't vote.

Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
One "problem", is that the voting app doesn't confirm your vote..
Incorrect. The voting page most certainly does confirm your vote, twice. If you hit next without selecting anything it states "You have opted to not vote for any of the candidates." This is a valid option for those that want to vote but dislike all potential candidates. That page indicates you must approve the action in the same way you would a normal vote; by hitting the "Next" button again to cast the vote and get your unique verify value.

If you didn't get a confirmation string (~20 characters) your vote didn't cast, and your vote token is still valid. At any time before you get that 20 character string, you can re-start. It's setup that way in case your browser or network has an issue and disconnects you mid-vote.

The creation of your vote and destruction of your voting token is an atomic action. Meaning if anything goes wrong, your vote token is still valid and can be used to vote later, once the problem has been resolved.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Incorrect. The voting page most certainly does confirm your vote, twice. If you hit next without selecting anything it states "You have opted to not vote for any of the candidates." This is a valid option for those that want to vote but dislike all potential candidates. That page indicates you must approve the action in the same way you would a normal vote; by hitting the "Next" button again to cast the vote and get your unique verify value.

If you didn't get a confirmation string (~20 characters) your vote didn't cast, and your vote token is still valid. At any time before you get that 20 character string, you can re-start. It's setup that way in case your browser or network has an issue and disconnects you mid-vote.

The creation of your vote and destruction of your voting token is an atomic action. Meaning if anything goes wrong, your vote token is still valid and can be used to vote later, once the problem has been resolved.
I'm sure you are probably right about this, but I do not remember getting to the confirmation string step. I'm pretty sure (but didn't take screenshots and there's no way to go back and see now), that once I saw "you deciced to vote for no one", I clicked the back button in my browser.

It's sort of academic now I suppose, and I have no way to double check. Oh well, thanks for the information anyway!

Edit: After doing a test with the test vote Joerg set up, I guess I must have clicked past the confirmation screen. No excuses, the voting system is really pretty easy, but I did have some screaming kids in the background.

Last edited by shawnjefferson; 2013-05-06 at 04:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Scarily enough, I got my token, voted, and can only wish for the best in the near future.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
I'm sure you are probably right about this, but I do not remember getting to the confirmation string step. I'm pretty sure (but didn't take screenshots and there's no way to go back and see now), that once I saw "you deciced to vote for no one", I clicked the back button in my browser.

It's sort of academic now I suppose, and I have no way to double check. Oh well, thanks for the information anyway!
Simply try to vote again! Either your token is still valid which means you didn't vote yet, or your token is not valid anymore which means you voted and just missed the confirmation token, for whatever reasons. There's a gap when your vote got executed on voting engine but you closed your browser meanwhile or you got disconnected, so the resulting confirmation token can't get sent out to you. We can't do much about that gap. Anyway there's no chance whatsoever that your token got invalidated without the voting engine recording your vote exactly the way you've chosen. The confirmation token is just for transparency, basically a convenience thing, not anything you or we (techstaff, admins) could do anything with, like reverting your vote or whatever.
Honestly even if somebody would claim that the confirmation token points to a ballot that is not the one he chosen to vote like, there's nothing we could do. If 10 people would claim same thing, we would urgently need to investigate and just redo the whole election/referendum.

Thanks for voting!
/jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-05-05 at 07:55.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
please also see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...76#post1341376, I created a toy err TEST election for you, so you can practice and check out things without peril to mess up your actual votes.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
I have just voted. Good luck to all participants!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
I just had a play on the Test Election, and tried the Get Token button whilst I was there. Within 5 minutes I was sent my token! Good stuff.

As I've already voted in the proper elections I can't test the Get Token button there, but in the automated email I was sent for the Test Election, there are fields that need to be filled out:

Dear mrsellout,

The election of [REPLACE THIS] is now open, and
you have received this email as you are eligible to vote.

The [REPLACE THIS] consists of [#] members who will serve
a [#] month term. You can learn more about the candidates at:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=[#####]

CANDIDATES
----------
A full list of candidates and their reasons for running can be found at:

http://wiki.maemo.org/[REPLACE THIS]/Candidate_declarations

HOW TO VOTE
-----------

Your voting credentials are:

URL: http://maemo.org/vote/
<snip>

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
That's just because it's a test election. You are seeing the boilerplate email we have to fill out each time we create a new election.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
voting