I think Gerbick provided the link in another thread, but here is an online petition to essentially get rid of elop:

http://www.change.org/petitions/noki...n-of-the-nokia

couldnt they just do both..? or all three, harmattan, symbian, and continue with microsoft? and besides, didnt they already make contracts with microsoft? i dont think there is backing out of that

John C. Dvorak thinks Microsoft will buy Nokia but he does not recommend it, see PC Mag. Excerpt:

Microsoft Should Not Buy Nokia
The headline of this column is for the benefit of both Nokia and Microsoft. Nokia, as I've explained before, should abandon the Windows platform and move to Android ASAP. That's the way I see things from Nokia's perspective. From Microsoft's perspective, I'd say, "Why buy the cow when the milk is free?" Microsoft essentially owns Nokia now.

At least, that is what some financial writers seem to think. Rocco Pendola of TheStreet.com writes:

For all intents and purposes, Microsoft can have its way with Nokia. The Fins were smart to give themselves, unconditionally, to the Americans from the Pacific Northwest. While I understand the two companies have an agreement in place that governs their partnership, everybody, including Nokia, knows who dominates this relationship.
So why would Microsoft want to buy Nokia with this sort of thing in place? Well, harkening back to the free milk from the cow, perhaps someone should consider the fact that the cow is starving to death and nobody seems to give a [put your favorite swearword here]. If Microsoft is going to buy the company, is it going to buy it at a bankruptcy auction? What is it waiting for?

As an aside, I would like to mention that nobody has ever benefited from a partnership with Microsoft. Maybe one of my readers can help me out, but I cannot find any examples. Even IBM lost out when it was working with Microsoft. FrontPage, one of the first webpage editors, was decimated after Microsoft bought it. A common theme, it seems. The only thing that thrives at Microsoft is Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office.

So exactly how would Nokia benefit from a Microsoft buyout? The cultural differences are enough to sink Nokia. I sure do not see such a deal bringing down Microsoft. You can imagine all the work that would go into such a massive deal: Continuing with a huge push for more sales of the Windows Phone, eventual failure, the shuttering of Nokia. Then Microsoft would say, "Oh well. We tried. It was Nokia's fault the Windows Phone died. It was a bad idea to buy Nokia."

Meanwhile, Finland loses Nokia.

This is all inevitable if the Finns do not do something to stop it. The country could apparently, on its own, stop the Russian army, but it cannot stop Microsoft.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
People are taking this Nokia Microsoft partnership way too seriously. Get a life people, Microsoft ain't gonna buy Nokia and Nokia isn't gonna go away.

Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
People are taking this Nokia Microsoft partnership way too seriously. Get a life people, Microsoft ain't gonna buy Nokia and Nokia isn't gonna go away.
i dont think nokia would have bothered with the asha series or even borthered to update symbian to belle if they were going to sell out to microsoft so i agree

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would like to get rid of Microsoft, Google and apple. Plus people wasting our world like the don't care of the future of the planet.. Now, where can I vote?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Why don't you just go and roundhouse kick 'em??

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Wow, this petition has really got traction, 3404 votes in 3 months! That's like, 38 people a DAY!

Elop is surely gonna step down when he sees this level of uproar.

By the way, Apple is one exaple of a company that benefited from a MS partnership.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
here we go agai another stupid thread that leads nowhere. Why the hell do people think nokia would care about a stupid petition?

its all about bussines and nokia has no way chance to change strategy now. The only way now is probadly to kill rumored meltemi and fire th rest of the small qt team left at nokia. Cause the company bleeding to much cause of bad decisions. So this petition is pointless...

write some cool qt apps instead of bother with nokia failboard.

cause qt will be alive without nokia.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
By the way, Apple is one exaple of a company that benefited from a MS partnership.
What partnership and how? BTW back when MS was on trial for anti-competitive behaviour MS had an incentive to "keep Apple alive" so that they can say to the DoJ "look we don't have a monopoly and we do have competition".

Tags
buysomethinelse, goodbyenokia