Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Shameless plug: Please try ρcam. I think that even if the hardware capabilities of the N9 aren't as good as the N8's having manual controls makes up for it, sort of.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Birmingham, UK
i'm having some trouble configuring the sources to get extras and extras-devel - any suggestions?

Last edited by leoniedelt; 2012-09-29 at 21:21.

Congrats on your new purchase!

I think both the N9 and the 808 offer something unique and you can't go wrong with either of them. The N9 is a little long in the tooth but everyone must experience Swipe UI atleast ONCE in their life, and you won't regret it.

N9 camera is below average in low light and awesome in proper light. Also, (as hellasisgreece said), macros are mind blowing. Depth of field is good and gives a nice bokeh effect.

Upgrade to PR 1.3 version before you start off.
Go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications and the update icon.

Congrats again and a warm welcome to the community
Attached Images

Unfortunately there is no extras on harmattan. Nearest thing is rzr's community repository and apps for meego.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Yeah what took you so long, generally it's the bitter ex N900 owners that reject the N9, knowing it's heritage.
There was a N950 on eBay for GBP325 a few days back that you missed, damaged but usable screen though, I assume it was actually sold.

Apps wise look for (I think there's an actual thread for this but anyways):
  • Filebox.
  • EasyList.
  • The Flashlight.
  • Meecast.
  • Nano.
  • N9 QTweak - most of the tweaks you could think of in one place, but read manual should install catch apps through N9 QTweak so that you don't have to worry about 5x download limit in Nokia store.
  • Opptimizer - if / when you get the urge to overclock.
  • Conky.
  • Battery Usage.
  • Call recorder.
  • Call blocker.
  • Firefox (for flash).
  • Opera (for full desktop experience minus flash).
  • Homescreen settings.
  • CuteTube.
  • Open video player.
  • Phone Counter (never rely on sneaky networks for your call / data usage 24-48 hours late again).
  • Easy Debian!!!

Apart from that, make sure you set up track and protect, I highly recommend finding some relevant RSS feeds to take full advantage of the feed screen, I never used feeds before having an N9 but have never looked back.
Maybe search the forum for customisation ideas, operator logo, boot video, homescreen settings backgrounds etc.

Any of the above apps you can't find in the Nokia Store are probably located right here on TMO, speaking of app stores, try N9 Apps, and Apps For MeeGo.

This is in no way an exaustive list of good apps, just the notable ones i picked out that are installed on my phone.

Originally Posted by HanzBlix View Post
Yeah what took you so long, generally it's the bitter ex N900 owners that reject the N9, knowing it's heritage.
There was a N950 on eBay for GBP325 a few days back that you missed, damaged but usable screen though, I assume it was actually sold.

Apps wise look for (I think there's an actual thread for this but anyways):
  • Filebox.
  • EasyList.
  • The Flashlight.
  • Meecast.
  • Nano.
  • N9 QTweak - most of the tweaks you could think of in one place, but read manual should install catch apps through N9 QTweak so that you don't have to worry about 5x download limit in Nokia store.
  • Opptimizer - if / when you get the urge to overclock.
  • Conky.
  • Battery Usage.
  • Call recorder.
  • Call blocker.
  • Firefox (for flash).
  • Opera (for full desktop experience minus flash).
  • Homescreen settings.
  • CuteTube.
  • Open video player.
  • Phone Counter (never rely on sneaky networks for your call / data usage 24-48 hours late again).
  • Easy Debian!!!

Apart from that, make sure you set up track and protect, I highly recommend finding some relevant RSS feeds to take full advantage of the feed screen, I never used feeds before having an N9 but have never looked back.
Maybe search the forum for customisation ideas, operator logo, boot video, homescreen settings backgrounds etc.

Any of the above apps you can't find in the Nokia Store are probably located right here on TMO, speaking of app stores, try N9 Apps, and Apps For MeeGo.

This is in no way an exhaustive list of good apps, just the notable ones i picked out that are installed on my phone.
Awesome list, thank you!!!

Last question, for now:

Going through the tweaks, installing the repos, etc etc. Very swish, thank you to everyone who has done this hard work.

I use windows 7 64bit, mainly because of phoenix/navfirm, and office... should i install kubuntu again? Does having a linux installation have any benefits over a windows one, on the lappy?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
The only benefit as an user is a linux distro allows you to fix your phone if it enters MALF state (to enter this it meant you managed to screw it quite a bit)...Otherwise everything else works with 7 64-bit...

That you can ssh out of the box and exchange files with the phone through nautilus (probably dolphin too).

sure of course you can find apps to do that on windows

btw, i like your pcam
the raw files are teh awesome!

i think its time for dual boot again! lets hope i can leave behind the flaming bcm43xx problems, my goodness that's sheer torture...

i still have homework to do for my course! i just cant leave this thing alone

The Following User Says Thank You to leoniedelt For This Useful Post: