Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Hi All

I have just replaced my housing of my Black 64GB Nokia N9!

Generally very happy with the results, all went to plan! I didnt stripped any screws etc.

But I do have a few problems that all maybe able to help with.

With my original black case I am fairly sure the screen was really flush (although I had it in a case) I do remember when I had it out it was smooth to swipe left to right.

In the new housing it appears the glass is sitting about 1mm too high down the sides (the middle being the highest point).

The top and bottom are fairly flush, so failing to understand if
1) I have not put the screen back in properly
2) If its case dependant? - Micheal, from My Nokia Blog told me he had the reverse. His original case had sharp edges where the screen was too high and when mounted in his white case (from same ebayer) he found it was flush.

This is really annoying me as I sort of feel its not quite right and I keep trying to push it down!

Is there a specific way to push the screen back down once the 3 lower pins are slid under the housing? could it be the internals are not sitting correctly underneath the screen?

I hope owners can share their experience of their out the box N9s and those that have screen/housing swapped etc

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Grazy View Post
In the new housing it appears the glass is sitting about 1mm too high down the sides (the middle being the highest point).
There's nothing wrong here. That's a feature of the curved glass. It's intentional by design.

but its not smooth transition between the plastic and the screen. On my old black one it was smooth.

I think becasue the screen became more curved on the later models they must have changed the housing slightly so it sits properly.

So with my old flatter screen and my new white housing they tend to clash!

like I say top and bottom are fine!

Is there a specific way to push the screen back down once the 3 lower pins are slid under the housing?
Cheers
I've recently moved a screen from one device to another and as far as I can tell it fit as well as the original one before (both devices from earliest production). I slid the screen in the case bottom first and then pressed it into the case with thumbs on both sides from the bottom on up, as similarly show here at 2:22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwoGxrLZlAk

The Following User Says Thank You to hw9xx For This Useful Post:
thanks for the reply

I took my screen off again and was really careful and precise. yet it still feels sharp on the sides but fine top and bottom

you get a very good click as it goes in so happy enough its in properly. After seeing a friend L800 I'm pretty sure theirs is more curved on the sides.

and I'm sure some people on here have mentioned it too?

Hi all,

I hope this post helps others and I know I have updated two other threads with the same info but thought it would be rude not to complete my own!

I had ordered a new screen from ebay! all fitted!

Its more curved than mine and guess what! if you haven't already! I fixed it!!! No sharp sides any more!

there must be some minor differences in the way the screen mounts? either the housing or within the screen frame itself?

either way I am please with the result!

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have noticed that some N9's are more flush than others, and in general Lumia 800's are almost always as flush as the 3D renders. Both of my N9's have about half a mm tooth.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

sounds like a simple screen swap would sort it. do you have an early N9?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The one is really early (oct11), the other, I don't know but it might be even earlier as it came from nokia developer.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Hi all,

I hope this post helps others and I know I have updated two other threads with the same info but thought it would be rude not to complete my own!
Can you please link those threads here?

I had ordered a new screen from ebay! all fitted!
I have an N9, bought in february this year that appears to have been manufactured in quarter 3 of 2011 (http://www.numberingplans.com/?page=analysis&sub=imeinr) and a case bought from ebay, from Hong Kong. There is a gap of about half a milimiter between the screen and the case, at the middle. As suggested in this thread, this might happen with old models. Is there any other way to get a nice fit instead of ordering a new screen?

Thanks.