Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
thp created a harmattan organization on github. Seeing how all entrants have to be open sourced, shall we make it part of the rules that they host their source (and the .deb builds) there?

Contestants can then just link to their binary in the relevant field on the wiki.

Edit: Just realised this would only be valid for harmattan, fremantle and others would have to be hosted elsewhere.

Edit2: Why not just just stipulate that we use the relevant repos? Ie maemo.org repos for maemos 5 and earlier and AppsforMeego for Harmattan. If you want the prize, jump through the hoops!

Last edited by mrsellout; 2012-05-28 at 13:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
couple thoughts...

i second (third?) kojacker's opinion about being more specific on the "multi platform"
shouldn't we bluntly restrict this to NOKIA platforms?
i'm pretty sure an Android (or iPotato) dev whose application somehow got to run on Maemo (Qt? more likely Python...) probably wouldn't care about the N9(50) (except maybe as a curiosity & sell it on eBay, definitely the N950)
this would on the other hand mean we could include Symbian / NOKIA Belle (via Qt)

after all, the main prices (N9(50)) are NOKIA devices and if i understood it properly, are sourced from NOKIA (?)
correct me if i'm wrong

N900, dead platform?
as i posted already a few times, i'm able to get a N900 from various shops, all with 2 yr NOKIA warranty (with or without contract).
whether it can be augured as a sign NOKIA is going to release a business worthy successor to the N900 & publicly available successor to the N950 is open to debate (to be held elsewhere, i'm sure) but still, N900 does not seem dead yet, not quiet, at least.
as i once posted before... Totgesagte leben länger
when looking on eBay (or elsewhere) at the number of bluetooth slide keybords for iPotatos (mostly), one can't help feeling this is still high on many ppls wish list, possibly even requirements

even more off topic, sort'a...
last few hrs my inbox is over flooded with e-mails from the Maemo mailing list applying for a N9 (or N950).
those are for the Community award, i guess, but still... does it make sense to award a N9 to ppl who already have a N950?
i could marginally agree with the idea of a N9 owner getting a N950 for its obviously featuring a hw keyboard, but the other way around?
explain me the logic, pls?
doesn't quite apply to the coding competition i guess...

eeeeee, what about the TMO logo?
if not replace the election Logo with a CC & All one, could we at least remove it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
couple thoughts...

i second (third?) kojacker's opinion about being more specific on the "multi platform"
Thanks misterc I can understand a lot of what you said regarding the Nokia products. Though we don't want to be too blunt in the rules with a "Nokia only" and maybe rule out projects which involve other platforms in conjunction with the Nokia product - for example an N900 project that interfaced with a Raspberry Pi project, etc etc. I remember in the first competition we also considered allowing entries from PC projects that could be used to benefit the Maemo device. So perhaps there will be entries that don't necessarily run completely on the handset, and might still have merit for the competition. Although I don't remember one like that actually ever being entered... maybe that's a challenge for someone to come up with something

even more off topic, sort'a...
last few hrs my inbox is over flooded with e-mails from the Maemo mailing list applying for a N9 (or N950).
those are for the Community award, i guess, but still... does it make sense to award a N9 to ppl who already have a N950?
i could marginally agree with the idea of a N9 owner getting a N950 for its obviously featuring a hw keyboard, but the other way around?
explain me the logic, pls?
haha funny you mention that as I was jotting down my own application for a N9 (though 5 mins ago I decided to not send it in because i don't see myself as worthy of a community award. i think they should be reserved for extra special members of the community, or people who have done really extraordinary things for the community.) But I'll copy it below, it might help explain the logic behind why some people with a N950 might like a N9

Hi all,

I would like to apply to receive a N9.

My motivation for applying:
One of the sensor projects Im currently working on is a home automation project using NFC tags. That's my motivation for asking for a N9 as it has in-built NFC support. I was lucky enough to receive a N950 but it requires extra hardware to read NFC tags - my current setup is the N950 in a carry bag with an arduino board, a NFC/RFID breakout board, USB shield, a breadboard with Bluetooth module, and a bunch of jumper wires, clips and batteries. It's not ideal, and I could replace the whole lot with a svelte N9

Why do I deserve one over someone else:
Well i don't think I do and I'm really trying my luck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Also as I am fortunate enough to have a N950 already I wouldn't like to deprive anyone of a developer device. So I hope my application will be considered if there are more devices available than worthy applicants.

My maemo profiles http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=32339 / http://maemo.org/profile/view/kojacker/
Nobody steal my ex-application!

So for me, the reason would be NFC. There may be other hardware reasons why someone would benefit from a N9 over a N950 - it's not just a case of one having a physical keyboard (though it's nice ) There are some more details about the differences between the two devices on the N950 wiki

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-05-28 at 14:46.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post

The community participating in organizing the coding competition would just have to make sure that the app really runs on the advertised platforms.
I could test on N810, N900 (maemo5 and nemo), N950, BB10 dev alpha, Symbian, Android...
I'm sure we'd find iOS users if needed...
I hope this is tongue in cheek. IMHO, including Android and IOS is just silly. We are just now getting to work on defragmenting Harmattan (and that is not easy). If for no other reason that they do not officially support Qt/QML (and I think there are several other good reasons), we should exclude Android and iOS.

Also, I think I asked the Nemo people some time ago if they were interested in promoting it as part of the coding competition. Never heard back (I think) - so I think someone should talk to them to see how they feel about it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
This is Off Topic but...
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
... (though 5 mins ago I decided to not send it in because i don't see myself as worthy of a community award. i think they should be reserved for extra special members of the community, or people who have done really extraordinary things for the community.)
As the inspiration and a driving force behind the Coding Competitions, which have had over a hundred entries, I think you're more than worthy of a Community Award. If you were to add that achievement to your list, I'm sure the Council would make the award. Don't sell yourself short mate!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
This is Off Topic but...

As the inspiration and a driving force behind the Coding Competitions, which have had over a hundred entries, I think you're more than worthy of a Community Award. If you were to add that achievement to your list, I'm sure the Council would make the award. Don't sell yourself short mate!
Ah you're very kind mrsellout but ive been more than rewarded already with the N950. Indeed driving the competition was a prize in itself as you get to meet so many people in the community and learn so much more about what's going on - I'd really recommend everyone to give it a go. Sometimes you get the odd headache here and there but it's all worth it And it's not that hard either, as you know we have a great community here and everyone helps out and everyone pulls together

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
regarding uploads:
So we should tell them to upload their apps to the official repos (harmattan -> OBS) and linking them at the submission site, right?

multiplatform award:
this is making so much trouble...
if we'd exclude any platform, there would be an upper limit of platforms, resulting in making the multiplatform award meaningless.
Because then it would be very likely that a winner from one of the categories would also win the multiplatform award.

should we cancel it and add another category or a different award?

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-05-28 at 17:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think we should keep it and give it to the runner up of the other categories with the most platforms. This way we will promote writing for multiple platforms in all categories as a multiplatform app will have one more chance to win, and we will be assured of the quality of the application.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
If I may chip in, I'll say that I am against all categories. Just make an everything-goes category, let the submissions in and award the 20 best ones, whatever they may be. Nothing else will be fair in my opinion.

Suppose you award 2 submissions in each category. 9 people submit apps to the Utilities category, 4 of which are genius, kickass, holy-crap-this-is-brilliant applications. 5 people submit games, all of which are just "meh." So you award two of the lame games and sacrifice 2 of the absolutely awesome utilities? Sorry, I think that idea is very risky therefore inadequate.

Get rid of categories. The only category worth keeping should be "quality."

Bonus: most of the ongoing discussion in this thread will become moot and the whole project will just move on.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lucm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by lucm View Post
If I may chip in, I'll say that I am against all categories. Just make an everything-goes category, let the submissions in and award the 20 best ones, whatever they may be. Nothing else will be fair in my opinion.
Brilliant idea I would say.
Would even make the voting much easier.

Just one "category" + the Beginner Award?

Just one prize possible, highest prize counts. If a participant already has a N950, it will be exchanged with the first N9 winner.
If another participant already has a N950, it will be exchanged with the second N9 winner and so on...

Any concerns regarding this system?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas