Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
My N9 just turned off, after 6 days and 4 hours off charger. Powersaving mode was on, no lpm, no double-tap to unlock (don't know if it affects battery life), I didn't connect to wifi or 3G, I did about 20-30 minutes of calls, about 10 sms, and otherwise used it normally. I didn't hesitate to unlock it to check the time, I used the alarms once or twice a day with the snooze function ringing at least twice.

In general, I used my N9 as a dumbphone. It is new, has very few contacts and messages and no music or videos for tracker or smartsearch to index.

I don't advocate of using the N9 in this way, I just wanted to test it versus a dumbphone assuming similar use (mostly to have an argument against people who favor dumbphones because their battery lasts a lot).

The result is that with the N9 you have the choice. If the battery life is critical once in a while you can manage.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Well done!

Battery life on my crippled N900 is a day at most.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have drained 2 N900 batteries and got the 3rd to half in just over 7 hours

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Zόrich, Switzerland
I normally get a day or two out of the N9. With bunch of things running but without internet connection, i just turn it on when i need it. In general is ok but i wished it had more. Good to know that it can actually run several more days when needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmsarriat For This Useful Post:
Very well put! I actually use my N9 as a semi-dumbphone during travel when I know I may be away from the wall charger for unknown periods.

I basically disable internet connection- connect it only when I am going to need it. Exit wazapp etc. I have LPM on with double tap to wake screen, and network is set to use 2G only.

This mode gives me about 2 days plus a few hours, with 30mins of calling approx and few google address lookups per day.

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Then I really need to order some Micro-USB ports and considering I don't have a credit card that's almost impossible.But almost.
Haven't ran NITDroid in 6 months now!
I'm now certain that I'm buying a second battery

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by nokiac View Post
. I have LPM on with double tap to wake screen, and network is set to use 2G only.
Doesn't 2G use more power than 3G on N9?

[edit] Well. I guess that depends of signal strenght. Initially I thought that power saving features with 3g might be more efficient. Anyway I have both most of time off as I only switch on internet connection when using the internet/updating feeds.

I have similar experiences to qwazix with the battery life, when used like a dumb phone. ca. 4-8days with one charge. With no use at all it clocks about 10 days. BME predicts 15days (ca. 3-4mA), but often something manages to bump up consumption a bit so I end up with 5-8mA idle consumption.

Last edited by ladoga; 2012-12-18 at 21:51.

Originally Posted by jmsarriat View Post
I normally get a day or two out of the N9. With bunch of things running but without internet connection, i just turn it on when i need it. In general is ok but i wished it had more. Good to know that it can actually run several more days when needed.
rather then powering it off and on you may be better off putting it in Fly mode and power save.
starting up uses a tremendous amount of energy.
unless you are going to leave it OFF for days at end, of course...

So what are the low-hanging fruit? Low-power mode and flight mode?

Much of the time my phone just sits there

Originally Posted by evujumenuk View Post
So what are the low-hanging fruit? Low-power mode and flight mode?

Much of the time my phone just sits there
Qwazix clearly said... dumb phone
what do you get from a "dumb phone"???
  • phone calls
  • short messages
  • address book
  • calendar (sometimes)
  • clock / alarm (dito)
nota bene: flight mode was only an alternative to powering off / on the device on a regular basis...
if you want to be able to get / make calls, GSM is probably your best choice (assuming no net access).

Tags
battery life