Active Topics

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Android camera automatically focuses itself every second because the device does not have a dedicated camera button with half-press, and there is neither a setting to turn this annoyance off so that it would focus only when a photograph is being taken, nor an openness to change the software interface so that it would include half-press-capable software button for autofocus and taking picture
Wow, where do you get all this (mis)information from?

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Oh man, you're so right...

But you can't win on this forum. These people here won't ever acknowledge the facts you stated. I know, I tried to do the same thing, but gave up.
Facts? People were stating opinions, my opinion is the for MY usage pattern the N900 is vastly superior to an iphone since the N900 is a computer the iphone is not.
xxxts and yours opinion differs from mine, you are entitled to it but that doesn't make it a fact.

Wow, where do you get all this (mis)information from?
From using multiple android devices, i still have a acer iconia tab a500 at home.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Not going to argue, but those "facts" about android's camera is just complete rubbish.

Disclaimer: I developed several camera apps for android.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Honest question: Is there an app for the iPhone that can edit ODF/DOC/DOCX/ODS/XLS files with the same fidelity as OpenOffice does on the N900? Can it do so while one is offline? Sure, launching OpenOffice.org on the N900 takes 37 seconds (just timed it), but once loaded it is quite responsive, and most importantly for me, full powered.

Other things that I love about my N900 that I have not seen on an iPhone are:
- FMTransmitter (to say the least about its boosted power and expanded beyond the normally allowable frequencies in many countries)
- full python support (including pyQt, pyside, and pygtk libraries)
- Offline mapping apps like marble.
- The ability to run my old Palm OS apps. (I still rely on a couple of them believe it or not).
- Is there an app that can match what MyPaint allows one to do on the N900?
- The ability to hold power decreases over time on all rechargeable batteries. So, being able to replace the battery (instead of the hole device) is huge!

This are things that are really important for me. I haven't seen anything the iPhone offers that is compelling enough to make me switch away from these. A little speed increase is not important if I can't even do these things at all.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2012-10-22 at 15:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
What about :
- running chrooted Linux (like Easy Debian) ?
- compiling with gcc/g++ ?
- ssh -X from both directions ?
These are all bad examples, because you'll eventually be able to do all of them on the iPhone (he**, you can actually do all of that in Windows....).

Fact is, it is just a matter of convenience. With the N9/00, I know how to run all of the academic applications that I use daily -- mostly because it's just the same as running them on my desktop.

With an Android or iOS device it would be ten times the effort at best. But it would certainly be doable. Yes, this means that the N900 is actually easier to use than the iPhone, at least for me.

Now go and find a marketable use case for that...

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
These posts are so useless....

It's like one guy telling another guy that his XYZ cordless screwdriver is the best, he can switch bits, select the torque, it reverses and recharges quickly and you don't need any wrist strength and is faster!

The other points out his old slot screwdriver gets in tighter places, is lighter, has finer torqueing abilities with tactile feedback, doesn't need batteries, although not recommended can be used to scrape a gasket, or as a pry-bar and chisel!

Both guys are right one does not entirely replace the other. They will each claim that they don't need the other tools extra features.

So What? Compare all you want, they are simply different.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think the usage paradigm of not accessible filesystem is wrong. And this doesn't change with jailbreak. You may have access to files then, but it doesn't change the workflow. The N900 still has the classic computer workflow (the N9 doesn't, in spite of the access to filesystem). Get a file (e-mail, bluetooth, usb mass storage, sd, download or whatever) , edit it with various applications, transfer it wherever you want (again, sd, usb, e-mail, upload etc.)

Any device that does not support this workflow natively, without workarounds, for me is not a computer.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Whenever i get tempted to buy an iphone after seeing threads like this i simply fire up nitdroid. As far as i'm concerned 99% of the apps available for iphone are available for nitdroid. Then the magic happens: I go to the android app store and after about 30 minutes become soul destroyed by the worthless 'work around' apps and the trivial 'app instead of browser' apps (another class of workaround apps for a browser that doesn't allow you to upload files or play flash that then make it onto android too).

But it's the trvial toy apps that get me.

Just fire up nitdroid, go to the app store, see how long you'll be able to stick it.

All these 'i now have an iphone' threads all seem to say 'but i haven't got rid of my n900'. That says it all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
I will never own an iPhone. Ever. It's not because they're not exceptionally designed machines with premium materials and a gorgeous look. It's because I fundamentally disagree with the philosophy of the them. I own 3 Mac laptops and a Mac Mini. But I despise iOS. It's Disney-fied OS tells me what I can install. And like Android is tracks everything I do. I am just not OK with any of that. But most people don't care. And so what.

However, many people say that the iPhone can do anything the N900 can do. We all know that's not true. The IR transmitter and FM radio are obvious exceptions. And for anyone who knows how to program the N900 is very malleable....

I also just love the Maemo in the N900. I own an N9 but I still prefer the OS of the N900. It just makes sense to me. The screen is now so old tech, and the processor pretty slow, and the RAM seriously lacking...but the OS is still awesome. If my N9 broke today I would return the SIM to the N900 since there is nothing else out there that interests me right now.

Last edited by lancewex; 2012-10-22 at 19:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Not going to argue, but those "facts" about android's camera is just complete rubbish.

Disclaimer: I developed several camera apps for android.
This annoyance I have described happens with default camera on some androids. Of course, I can accept that it does not happen on all of them: both hardware and software can be very different on various Android phones. It's just an example of how well thought-out Android can be.
Maybe, there are camera apps out there which work better than default camera in this respect. But I haven't installed much apps from 'outside', yet. Would installing a new camera app remove/replace the default camera app? Because it would be confusing if there were two camera apps installed at the same time: one default, and one from somewhere else.
Thank you for the hint that there are other cameras out there. Best wishes.

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd