Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The color depth issue I posted earlier:

Here's an image taken from a news site and a second, edited version that resembles the image as shown on the N9. Again, I checked on a C7; there, the image looks just like it does on the desktop (above).
The SystemInfo app from Ovi Store says the screen is running at 16 bit depth, which would explain this, however the specs on Nokia's site claim the screen does 16.7 million colors (24 bit)...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZerionSeven For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^Interesting find...
Maybe konttori can tell us how to check w/o relying on an "app".

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
^Interesting find...
Maybe konttori can tell us how to check w/o relying on an "app".
Installing x11-utils with apt-get and running xdpyinfo also tells me:
Code:
depth of root window:    16 planes
However it also lists 24 and 32 bit depths as supported, so it would probably be possible to run the screen at a higher depth (at the expense of performance, I'd imagine).

Last edited by ZerionSeven; 2011-10-29 at 15:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZerionSeven For This Useful Post:
So the purple lines are because of it being 16 bit? If so this can be solved via software update right?

Originally Posted by weird0 View Post
So the purple lines are because of it being 16 bit? If so this can be solved via software update right?
I don't see how the screen running at 16 bit depth could cause the purple lines, but it does cause other artifacts such as the color banding you can see in the background gradient in benny's example.

Last edited by ZerionSeven; 2011-10-30 at 03:31.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
check it with different brightness levels. with and without charger cable in. and also different power save settings. it may be a combination of brightness levels and powersave options people have make it more visible for some and less for others.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Lagos, Nigeria
I've got the purple lines on my display as well, but they don't really bother me. It appears to only show up on a bright/white background with a dark foreground (text, image, etc). Looks like some sort of shadow. Funny thing is I never really noticed this, so I didn't know to look for it until I saw this thread.

What I don't like is the screen's 16 bits per pixel. The gradients (e.g. the Nokia one when you power up the phone) look washed out. Hope this can be sorted out in PR 1.1.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
check it with different brightness levels. with and without charger cable in. and also different power save settings. it may be a combination of brightness levels and powersave options people have make it more visible for some and less for others.
It depends a lot on the brightness settings. High brightness means it's less visible. Low brightness makes it more visible. Low brightness in low light conditions = unbearable. (My classic: sitting in a cab at night, holding the device in landscape. Scrolling through text then is a pain.)

I hardly ever use the device in bright daylight where high brightness settings are useful. My N9 sleeps mostly during the day and lives at night.

I didn't find any difference between low brightness with or without powersaving enabled. Also, I don't notice a difference when the charger's plugged in.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It depends a lot on the brightness settings. High brightness means it's less visible. Low brightness makes it more visible. Low brightness in low light conditions = unbearable. (My classic: sitting in a cab at night, holding the device in landscape. Scrolling through text then is a pain.)

I hardly ever use the device in bright daylight where high brightness settings are useful. My N9 sleeps mostly during the day and lives at night.

I didn't find any difference between low brightness with or without powersaving enabled. Also, I don't notice a difference when the charger's plugged in.
i thought it might have depended on brightness setting as to how visible it is. there's lots of screens with issues depending on brightness levels etc. and ambient light sensors can be an annoyance.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The dark spots on black background are there but so there were on my old i8910 so I think it's a AMOLED thing. They are really only noticeable on pitch dark room with pitch black screen so I won't bother.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob