Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Well, I really want to know what made you buy your device, and because I'm going to go first.

I remember it was 2009, and it was that frenzy with "who's got the smartest phone around in your group of friends". At that time I owned a brand new HTC Touch Diamond PRO, and it was a bomb. A phone with a physical qwerty keyboard, that revolutionary G-Sensor for games and it was running the latest Windows Mobile 6.1 PRO OS, another friend had the Samsung OMNIA HD, anohter one had a I-Phone and so on. One day, a friend which had more money than all of us said that he bought a brand new, off contract Nokia N900 device. When he showed us what that phone is capable of we were all stunned. Since that day I was craving to get a N900 too, but it was always over my budget.

I had some other spare phones @ home and with the help of a local forum we started trading those phones. I sold my LG KS-360 for a HTC Touch Dual and a HTC Viva. That HTC Viva I sold for a LG Viewty, and after a while I sold both the Touch Dual and Viewty for a Nokia N800. The N800 was GOLD, the OS was fast and smooth, very capable of EVERYTHING for that time... After I saw what the N800 is capable of I wanted the N900 even more!

Then a girl appeared, we got together but the only problem with me and her was the fact that she was on a different carrier and my contract with my carrier didn't have minutes to call on that carrier. So I got myself a second SIM on that carrier but I didn't have a second phone anymore since the N800 was a tablet, so I gave up my N800 for a HTC Universal 64. That was a really sad moment for me, since I was saving up money for a N900, so I can exchange the N800 + some money for a N900.

Years passed (and of course devices from my signature appeared over the time) and just this year I could get my hands on my own N900 device and it was pure gold! But they broke down, so I am just going to lie myself again that I just had bad luck.

Here are some pictures taken over the time...

Name:  IMAG001143.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  36.0 KB

Here there was the HTC Viva and the PSP (another great device, it was the first generation phat...). Picture taken with the HTC Touch Dual.

Name:  22032011084.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  48.1 KB

Here are the N800, HTC Touch PRO, HTC Touch Diamond and Xperia X1. The Touch Diamond was a present for my mom, this was just around mother's day.

Name:  IMG_0003 (2).jpg
Views: 760
Size:  44.6 KB

And here is the N800 in all it's glory!

Okay, long story short. Until now I bought my devices over the "love at the first sight effect" and the N900 was not an exception from this. The only device I really read about and did extensive search before buying was the HTC 8s (my current device).

Now, it's your turn to share the story!

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
My first smartphone was the Nokia N-Gage. I didn't know what a smartphone was and I was just stunned when I realized I could install applications on that thing. The years passed and more features came over, like cameras and wi-fi. I was looking at the N91 (the one with the hard drive) but right before I bought it I realized that the Qtek S200 had everything I wanted and with the full sized SD could do the 4Gigs of the N91 too. It had a gorgeous screen, 3times the resolution of the N91 but lacked a full size 3.5mm jack.

I was so burnt by the horrible WinMo5 (powerful but buggy as hell) that I decided I'll go back to symbian, forever. A friend had the 770 but I thought it was useless as I didn't even have WiFi at home at that time.

I got a N81 (not-so-good) and then I got two N95's and a 5800. I loved all those devices, and when Nokia announced it was ditching symbian for N-series I was disappointed. It didn't last long. When I saw the N900 I was immediately, without even looking at the specs "WoW! I *want* this"

The amazement didn't stop a day until today. The N900 has converted me to a full time linux user, and played a role in the job I'm doing today.

The N900 is by far the most important phone I've ever had, and it's not an exaggeration to say that it changed my life.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Uhm, first of all I wanted the Lumia 710. I loved it a lot (I was dumb), then I saw the Lumia 800, incredible design, big, cool. Yet there was something in both devices that I disliked, the OS. Windows Phone, I didn't like it much. I kept dreaming about the Lumia 800 until just a few days before my last birthday. Something came up to my mind and I made a bit of searching for Nokia phones, I remembered I saw something similar to the Lumia 800, I found it, it was the N9. I saw some few videos, the trailers and everything... I made a huge look around of the OS, I loved MeeGo, and its Swipe UI. I didn't really care about famous apps other than WhatsApp. But I had in mind that if I want the N9, I shall start learning about NITDroid and how to port it bla bla. Then came Wazapp and did the job! But I wanted to try out Android as well so I faced my fears and tried it out on my previously-new N9. I faced a lot of problems convincing the store owner to give me it, he believed it was a useless device, isn't worth it and bla bla. But I was too convinced with it I insisted to get it, I finally got it and started learning stuff in it. I continued with dev mode and terminal, then learned a few programming languages, but I was too lazy to actually try developing an app. I want to continue to Sailfish..
Well, anyhow, I love it and I definitely do not regret getting it, whether it was a gift or buying it by myself.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Well I didn't really much about n900 (I only new it could run android) but I wanted so much a n9, but I couldn't afford it... So after having a n8(that my uncle had and gave me for free) for more than a year, I found a friend of mine with a n900. So I told him if you would love to give me the n900 for my n8 and he accepted it! So I took his n900 and I have it for almost 5 months and I am really happy with this phone

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
For a long time I had been watching people around me gushing about their iPhones and Droids, but they always left me feeling "Meh..." The UX of the iPhone was a toy, Android was a mess, and multitasking in both was a joke. All I needed was to see videos of the swipeUI to know the N9 would be mine.

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
My first smartphone was the Nokia N-Gage. I didn't know what a smartphone was and I was just stunned when I realized I could install applications on that thing. The years passed and more features came over, like cameras and wi-fi. I was looking at the N91 (the one with the hard drive) but right before I bought it I realized that the Qtek S200 had everything I wanted and with the full sized SD could do the 4Gigs of the N91 too. It had a gorgeous screen, 3times the resolution of the N91 but lacked a full size 3.5mm jack.
Wow! Exact same start for me! I could open PDFs, have a fancy file explorer, use PuTTY, etc. I had also planned to get N91 afterwards, which I ended up not buying. Went to Nokia Communicator 9300i afterwards. Also found this to be awesome, especially that I could even create PDFs here. Not to forget the awesome Qwerty keyboard.
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
When I saw the N900 I was immediately, without even looking at the specs "WoW! I *want* this".
The amazement didn't stop a day until today. The N900 has converted me to a full time linux user, and played a role in the job I'm doing today.

The N900 is by far the most important phone I've ever had, and it's not an exaggeration to say that it changed my life.
My N900 adventure began on a boring day, when I just googled "linux phone" (because N-Gage and Communicator had shown me how cool it is to have powerful tools in the pocket at all times.) At the time, I was not a linux user, but had seen a friend testing Ubuntu one day. The Google search returned N900 at the very top. The Wikipedia page about it completely converted me. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it at the time. So I started playing with Linux on PC, and Maemo caused me to choose Debian over other Linuxes. I finally bought my N900 on July 4, 2011, knowing full well that Nokia had abandoned it. Still, it is a decision I have not come to regret. N900 still kicks ***, and it enhances my productivity at work in a way that my fellow iDevice and Android owners can only envy. For me too, N900 is 99% of the reason why I am now a daily Linux user, and can at least consider myself an entry-level linux sysadmin (I have a Debian VPS, and have been assistant administrator on two other servers).

PS: I still have my N-Gage (actually two, if I count the one suffering from White Screen of Death)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Once upon a day I was browsing the world wide Web,
At the Nokia store I preorder my first smartphone,
The mighty n900 they called it,
But after that I have purchased to many to even count,
And they lived happily ever,
The end.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-17 at 20:46.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
My story is:

I was about to get the n810 as my dad gave me enough money for it.But it was about to be discontinued and then Nokia announced the n900.
Waited 2 years trying to save some money and now I got it for 4 months now.
My older nokia was 6630 and it was broken (the power button) so I need a new nokia.
next: neo900

Android/iOS developer
ready for maemo coding competition 2016!

it was 2009 i was in malisya for visit i saw this first skype phone, which made me crazy so baught it. so that i could talk to my family back in india over skype at any place with labtop.

it was freaking cool at that time.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I got mine by accident. It was June 2012 and I had been happily using my Palm Treo 600 for 8 years and 3 months. It had it all: ergonomic design, fast UI, querty keyboard that could be operated with one hand, integrated address book, installable applications, 10 days battery life... The camera was rubbish and there was no Bluetooth but who cares about those anyway? The only two things I started missing were WiFi and GPS. Not that I really needed it, it was just a whim. So I started looking around for an upgrade but did not want to pay a full price for a new one. eBay, here I come! I tried Samsung S5600 (I think). I liked the display but hated the OS (Bada) and ended up selling it after a week. My next one was Sony Xperia Mini. I loved it, once upgraded to latest CyanoMode. It was cute, small but mighty and did everything I need it to do. But there was something missing. Android just did not feel quite right. So I decided to donate it to my niece and look for another one. Back to eBay, search for phones with WiFi, GPS and HW keyboard. Surprisingly, not too many on offer. I spotted one I had never heard about before that had 2 minutes to go to the end of the auction. In the spur of the moment, I bid £1 more and ended up winning it. I was a bit disappointed at first because the price was a bit higher than what I set aside as my budget but now, a year later, I have three and would take a lot of convincing to switch to another model.