Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum . I have been a long time Nokia phones user (Ngage QD, Nokia 6630, N75, N8 and now N9!) .

Coming from the symbian world, I am a bit confused as to how the internet connections work in Meego/harmattan.

In symbian^3 and older, the 3G/wifi is activated only when needed, even for background tasks like email checking,sync or widget updates. Rest of the times, the connections are totally inactive.

Now, what I noticed in my new N9 is that the internet connection is active all the time (both 3G and wifi). So, it seems a little wasteful to me from a battery life perspective.

Also, I found that if I make the internet connections as "Connect manually" , it doesnt do the email sync for my 2 gmail accounts every 10 minutes, as I have set them to be.

So is there a way to make the internet connections behave like Symbian^3 which I mentioned above?

I love every aspect of my N9, except this network connection scheme. Its a nice upgrade from my lovely N8.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have yet to find another smartphone that manages internet connections as well as Symbian. I liked the way it asked you for connection per app and that it was possible to allow one app to connect and not the other at the same time. Also you could have one app connect through 3G and another through wifi for more throughput. Neither of these features are available on harmattan, but I think it behaves the way you want if you enable power saving mode.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
It almost behaves the way I want in power save mode, except that it doesnt sync emails every 10 minutes as it would in symbian, and disconnect the network connection.

I noticed that there is an autodisconnect app available for maemo5/n900, I wish it would be ported to N9, as that would make the connection management almost as good as symbian

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Harmattan activates autodisconnect when it enters powersave mode. That means that active connections are disconnected after there has not been any network activity after certain idle period. This is implemented by xt_IDLETIMER iptables extension.
It is also possible to activate autodisconnect in normal mode, there is just no UI for that and it might cause some conflicts in internet connectivity (you might enter connect/disconnect loop). Sorry, its over half year that I last time had to deal with these settings so I don't remember the exact values in gconf. Anyway the connectivity settings should not be manually tweaked unless you really know what you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to jukkar For This Useful Post:
I am also annoyed by this behavior. I'm either online all the time (It never disconnects on background connections) or nothing updates automatically! This is not a feature, but a bug! At least it should connect when you set some automatic updates (Emails, Feeds) or allow a "always on" flag to the background connections!

^^
I agree with you. Ideally I would love to have it the way symbian handles it. Kickass n/w management plus the super slickness of Harmattan will make it one of the very best phones out there.

I guess this behaviour is still in 1.1 (Am still on 1.0). Is there a bug filed already or any plans for changing this in a 1.2 or 1.3? What is the best way to contact developers about such issues?

I filed a bug: http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=450

Last edited by zappAtom; 2011-12-19 at 09:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to zappAtom For This Useful Post:

I have reopened bug no 226 which is marked a duplicate of no. 450. Please chime in there people. I think its a bug/feature which deserves attention

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiac For This Useful Post: