Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
What's with the antagonistic response....

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Uh oh... may i point you do the fact that for at least one of those firms (it starts with an 'X', i'm not too familiar with the others), there in fact is a whole cloud service infrastructure (including synchronization, backup, and payment processing) that's _not_ hogging onto Google's service hosting train? That they have enough employees to provide updates _every Friday_?
That's hardly unique in the Android world, you seem to have missed the point being made, perhaps that's my fault for not being clear enough initially.

Giving that most of Jolla's homework is done by other groups too (so-called 'communities') that care for the actual development of base OS, frameworks, and SW components, i can't see that they realistically have to care for building much from scratch, besides their (closed-source by the way) UI components and related integration.
You mean Mer & Nemo, the upstream projects for Sailfish? The overwhelming majority of that work is in-fact done by Jolla, it's not mostly pulled from elsewhere, not even close.
You're mistaken about the "UI component", Silica is open, they have said some core apps/components will be closed for the licensed version of Sailfish.

Further, it was mentioned most of their guys came with an Maemo and N9 projects background; so it's even more moot thaey have to start from scratch. They are definitely able to leverage their expertise here and shorten their cycles.
Are you seriously trying to compare those completely distinct code-bases (i.e. they're not building on them at all) with Android's?
A project which has had far more commercial momentum/backing, & way less speed-bumps, for 3yrs+ now...
The only advantage they take from Freemantle/Harmattan, is the experience of having done similar work, that's NOT the same (or even close) as the code advantage that Android OEM's start with.
And much of the work was NOT done by Nokia when it comes to MeeGo-proper, MeeGoCE was little more than a proof-of-concept when most resources were dropped in Q1 2011.
For all intents & purposes they have started from scratch, & in a properly organised fashion since only about Jan/Feb 2012.

And unless someone close to them can prove that they designed all of their hardware in-house, i bet there's a huge re-use of COTS board-level components going way farther that basic SoC reference designs.
I doubt very much there'll be a huge level of customisation beyond reference, way more resources already goes into the sw/infra side compared to the typical Android ODM.
Plus, if the "Other Half" is as innovative as they've alluded to, that in itself would suck-up a relatively large amt of resources for such a tiny co.
A fair bit may have gone into design/aesthetics/build-quality, perhaps not much more than your typical mid-tier Android ODM, time will tell.

And how many people are Jolla now, like 50? I bet they are steering towards 80. (sorry, can't be arsed to grep their Twitter musings for that...)
That's not a startup; size-wise.
It most certainly is, it's minuscule compared to the top 10 players in the Android sphere, heck most probably even the top 20.
For Android ODM's far less resources go into sw, much more of the legwork is done compared to Nemo/Sailfish ODM's, because it's shared so far/wide.
The biggest players are the ones that shift it forward most, there's some niche players doing some unique things, but they're by no means driving the bulk of it.
Jolla is handling the lion's share of work for Mer/Nemo/Sailfish, a tiny start-up compared to the biggest players (or even the middlings) in Android.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Let me summarize the last posts for you:

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I don't think people have to wait for Sailfish(Jolla), if they want to support only the status-quo, & they appreciate what that means, then that's their right.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-16 at 17:19.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
nah, i'll just buy an iphone.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
I just did

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I just did
Too Bad. Prepare to get punished!!!

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
...and? Given that Qt5 now runs on Android too, i can't see too many objections existing (outside of Halmstad, that is).
One of the reasons is that today I was testing a new mobile website I did with a pretty heavy 360 touch controlled turntable effect. On the Galaxy Note (dual core 1.5) and latest chrome it stutters like hell while it's smooth on the 3yo iPhone4 1ghz singlecore, buttery on the Z10, and meh on the N9.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
One of the reasons is that today I was testing a new mobile website I did with a pretty heavy 360 touch controlled turntable effect. On the Galaxy Note (dual core 1.5) and latest chrome it stutters like hell while it's smooth on the 3yo iPhone4 1ghz singlecore, buttery on the Z10, and meh on the N9.
No one with some knowledge about mobile browsers using chrome(I hope). It's in constant beta stage.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide

here is the shipment ship. now which container has my t-shirt???

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Too Bad. Prepare to get punished!!!

Your photoshopping skills are...
astonishing.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Tags
delusions, traction?