Active Topics

Here's my SR-enabled profile, which gets me noticeable lags during video playback. As an alternative I currently use non-overclocked non-modified ulv profile, lags very rarely. Same video, of course.
Code:
# SR-enabled non-overclocked
MINFREQ=250
MAXFREQ=600
FREQS="0:30,90 125:30,90 250:38,180 500:48,360 550:54,400 600:60,430 720:60,430 805:60,430 850:60,500 900:60,500 950:60,500 1000:60,500 1100:72,520 1150:72,520"
SMARTREFLEX_VDD1=1
SMARTREFLEX_VDD2=1
GOVERNOR=ondemand
IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=0
UP_THRESHOLD=95
SAMPLING_RATE=300000
POWERSAVE_BIAS=0

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-01 at 17:58.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I must say I find it strange that you get lags with 720p libs installed (another post - are they still installed?), kernel power and if you use the dsp profile provided (sr enabled, slight overclock), yet not so much with a non-overclocked ulv profile.

Does it lag right after a reboot? This is likely o/t for kp.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Do you have swap on SD? That might help, also can you post output of iotop(in the repos) and top, is there anything to be found?
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
I must say I find it strange that you get lags with 720p libs installed (another post - are they still installed?), kernel power and if you use the dsp profile provided (sr enabled, slight overclock), yet not so much with a non-overclocked ulv profile.

Does it lag right after a reboot? This is likely o/t for kp.
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Do you have swap on SD? That might help, also can you post output of iotop(in the repos) and top, is there anything to be found?
I get lags only when I have SR enabled. I have none when I have SR disabled. Both with and without overclock.

I don't see a reason to use dsp profile, because ulv's performance is fine.

I currently don't overclock my device. I will look into it later, once I've finally decided whether there is a way to make SR work properly on my device or not.

Again, I have no performance problems when SR is off. I do have performance problems when SR is on. No matter rebooted or not, when SR is on I have noticeable lags during video playback.

As far as I understand, SR main feature is to provide better battery life without decreasing performance. Well, that doesn't work for me.

Also, I have Swappolube installed with proposed options stored, don't know if it matters.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-07 at 03:58.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
SR does the undervolting and extra undervolting can cause performance hits. Did you use SR and undervolting together?
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Did you use SR and undervolting together?
Yes. But I stopped as soon as I realised it, that's why I asked for a link to clean default profile in this thread.

My SR profile is here, there is no undervolting there - it is just plain default kp profile with SR enabled.

As far as I noticed, xlv profile undervolts lower than SR working on my device, but it doesn't bring any performance hits.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-01 at 21:39.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Just reinstall kernel-power-settings to get the all the default profiles including the one named 'default'.
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install --reinstall kernel-power-settings

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You are talking about 'default' profile and that you messed it up.

Just to be sure (as it was not mentioned):
You are aware that there are two occurences of default (and all other profiles)?
One at /usr/share/kernel-power-settings/
and once more at /home/user/.kernel/

Possibly you messed up the one in /home by saving but 'restored' the one in /usr? The one in /home have higher priority (are in front of the search path).
Please check also the contents of /etc/default/kernel-power (the profile loaded at boot).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
First of all, thanks everybody for trying to help.

Now, back to the topic. I don't have a profile named default in /home/user/.kernel/. I do have a profile named default in /usr/share/kernel-power-settings/ and it is not messed.

I thought I messed something because didn't realise at first that kernel-config was showing voltages with SR applied AND that SR is enabled in default profile... So when I saw undervolted and SR-enabled output of kernel-config right after loading default profile I thought omg wtf... However, I didn't really mess anything.

/etc/default/kernel-power matches ulv profile, because I set it so.

SR AND undervolting were used together in custom profile I deleted, just in case.

I've tried again and again and I still get lags when using default profile and no lags using ulv profile, both non-overclocked non-modified standard profiles from kernel-power-settings.

I'm out of ideas, especially regarding the fact I seem to be the first with this problem, and kinda not at all an experienced maemo user.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-04-02 at 13:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I guess that FlashInTheNight86 has a h/w peculiarity here. It is well known that various editions of the n900 behaved differently to SR enabled before FMG produced the current mostly stable implementation. However, his device likely is faulty but happily ulv seems to work.

As I too lack /home/user/.kernel I assume it is made for user modded profiles and not at installation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Tags
kernel, kernel-power, kernel-power52