Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I tried taking a few photos of colorful items over the last few days, only to realize how much effort it takes to get a good photo... Anyway, this shot was not very good, but it was kind of cute, so I'll throw it into the ring. I took it with my N900 last week, no postprocessing. I call it:

Copernicus' Cat studies Galileo's Thermometer

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7n...it?usp=sharing
Attached Images

Last edited by Copernicus; 2014-04-25 at 21:29.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I tried taking a few photos of colorful items over the last few days, only to realize how much effort it takes to get a good photo... Anyway, this shot was not very good, but it was kind of cute, so I'll share it. I took it with my N900 last week, no postprocessing. I call it:
Copernicus' Cat studies Galileo's Thermometer
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7n...it?usp=sharing
photo is nice but maybe i am colour blind

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
photo is nice but maybe i am colour blind
Yeah, it came out a lot more dull than I had hoped... Like I said, I'm not much of a photographer.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Copernicus your photo has much potential. While you have 2 very interesting subjects, you can probably get a lot more out of this. Let the colors be the main subject but don't forget your cat. A closer shot so you don't have the dull table filling 1/3 of the image.

You may also want to apply the rule of thirds and place the color "tube" on the left intersection, en let the rest of the image be your cat. or it's head only and let the eyes be in good focus. Try to fill your image with more subject and less background

So that leaves you with (as I imagine it) from left to right*:
A little bit of table and background and at about 1/3** the colorfultube and try to fill the rest of the image with your cat (If he and you are willing to ). But don't let the cat "overrule" your main subject

*: as most humans read from left to right, are eyes are also trained to analyze pictures from left to right (most of this happens without conscious)
**: We humans also ignore the sides of an image, so placing your subject to much to the edge leaves it without the intention it actually deserves.

I really should participate in this as quite serious hobby-photographer but I almost always carry my compact cam, and if I could, even my DSLR. I only use my phonecam for documents and quick snippets for useful purposes not for the photos

edit: Even cropping this image could make it more interesting, try to eliminate those empty areas on the top and the bottom to get more focus on the cat. Still not as much as I would have hoped, as a little part of his head is cut off. But really that reflection is a nice addition to the image
Attached Images

Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Last edited by mr_pingu; 2014-04-26 at 10:02.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Thank you, very insightful pointers on my photo (and photography in general)! In fact,

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I really should participate in this as quite serious hobby-photographer but I almost always carry my compact cam, and if I could, even my DSLR.
Maybe in addition to a monthy contest, there could be a thread where photography newbies could occasionally post questions or discuss the odd photo? (Or perhaps a thread like that already exists?) At least for me, that'd be useful in getting the most out of a cellphone camera...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Thank you, very insightful pointers on my photo (and photography in general)! In fact,

Maybe in addition to a monthy contest, there could be a thread where photography newbies could occasionally post questions or discuss the odd photo? (Or perhaps a thread like that already exists?) At least for me, that'd be useful in getting the most out of a cellphone camera...
I personally find this a very good but quick tutorial about composition:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...why-they-work/
Give it a read and keep it in mind.
Ofcourse on phone camera you have usaully less control and keeping them in mind won't give you great pictures immediately but they are good pointers to make a picture a bit more than holiday snapshots.

Also take a look in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...=photo&page=96

You'll probably see one of the rules in the pictures posted there. Of course not all of them as creativity is breaking rules. But these rules can give you some grip. Also, not all of my photos are stunning, sometimes you just can't get what you have in mind. Accept it and try better next time.

I would happily comment on photos but I don't think TMO is the place. Flickr is actually meant for this kind of thing. I wouldn't mind if I am wrong on this, though. It's just that this website isn't that photography based...

Anyway, If you want to know what I think of your photo or have a question about photography in general, don't hesitate to knock on my (virtual) door. As I said, I'll happily comment/answer.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Herewith my humble submission, a rather predictable spring flower shot. N900, fcamera, developed in rawtherapee (de-vignette, some exposure tweaking).

I am extremely pleased with the rawtherapee flat-field removal of the vignette (tint and luminance) that characterises the n900 sensor.
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL

No, it's not Constantinople, nor even Istanbul
Not entirely on-topic, but I have nothing better. Made with N9, hugin for some distortion correction and gimp to bring levels closer to what I remember from the scene

Oh. I see that exif info got lost along the way, so here's unaltered original shot for reference.

Last edited by briest; 2014-04-27 at 22:09. Reason: lack of exif

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Am I allowed more than one go? If not this post is just asking which of these should be entered:

EDIT: On advice, this one is the entry:

EDIT: I liked these as they had nice vibrant blues and greens of varying shades, but the one above has the best range of natural colour.

All N900 cameraui2, no post processing.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2014-04-28 at 23:57.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
@TomJ: just one allowed I believe. The top one has strongest colours. South Africa?

BTW: do you also have fcamera or BlessN900 installed (ie. the fcam drivers installed)?

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Tags
april, camera, colours, competition, phone