Closed Thread
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
It is the job of the outgoing Council to ensure the election happens.
It's nothing to do with Nokia, IMHO.

SD69, just because you're a candidate doesn't mean your
responsibilities stop. Obviously you aren't going to do the work or
declare the winner, but it's your responsibility to liaise with Nemein
(X-Fade volunteered IIRC) to get it going.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Not entirely true, Jaffa. Direct access to voting infrastructure - including starting voting, etc - is available only to X-Fade&co (see old problems with Code Competition voting). Only one thing SD69 can do, is talking with them.

Yet, during last Council meeting, his partners on technical/Nokia payed side answered, that "voting is covered". IMO, SD69 was not able to do anything more *before* voting start date.

Although, I agree that now, when voting start time passed, it's needed to contact them again. To avoid "communication breakdown" and hearing - after 6 months - that no one tried to contact them about this problem, we should not "ping" anyone, but fill official, trackable bug.

Which is the thing I'm doing now. I'll update this post with bug report.

/Estel

// Edit

Here it is:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12612
Please, vote for it.

Due to fact that I'm Council candidate too, I'll now comment, what do I think about it as whole. Especially, that it wouldn't be pleasant to read.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-10 at 19:43.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Not entirely true, Jaffa. Direct access to voting infrastructure - including starting voting, etc - is available only to X-Fade&co (see old problems with Code Competition voting). Only one thing SD69 can do, is talking with them.

Yet, during last Council meeting, his partners on technical/Nokia payed side answered, that "voting is covered". IMO, SD69 was not able to do anything more *before* voting start date.

Although, I agree that now, when voting start time passed, it's needed to contact them again. To avoid "communication breakdown" and hearing - after 6 months - that no one tried to contact them about this problem, we should not "ping" anyone, but fill official, trackable bug.

/Estel

// Edit

Here it is:
Please, vote for it.

Due to fact that I'm Council candidate too, I'll now comment, what do I think about it as whole. Especially, that it wouldn't be pleasant to read.
i don't think "bug" is the proper way to handle this
it is an administrative issue, not a technical one.
e-mailing QGil or X-Fade (or anyone else in contact with NOKIA / Nemein (which is the company hosting some of the Maemo infrastructure, i think)) seems more adequate.
what are QGil's or X-Fade's e-mail addys ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
It is the job of the outgoing Council to ensure the election happens.
It's nothing to do with Nokia, IMHO.

SD69, just because you're a candidate doesn't mean your
responsibilities stop. Obviously you aren't going to do the work or
declare the winner, but it's your responsibility to liaise with Nemein
(X-Fade volunteered IIRC) to get it going.
X-Fade already said it was covered. It's not my responsibility at the moment thank you very much (if it ever was). If you want to help, then help. Don't show up just to purport to tell other people what to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Hey, people, lets not argue - at this point it's most important to get election going. We can treat is as another experience, and thing that new Council is going to have "serious talk" about, with our beloved tech staff.

We will see answer we're going to get on bug report. I hope everything is going to be fine soon.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-10 at 20:14.

Let us do argue, 6-13th of a month is a happy time for people who get their payslip around the beginning of a month, moving the election week/couple forward will make those positive emotions history. How about we disqualify unhappy people while we're at it? Voter fraud is voter fraud, lets call things what they are. (I know, tasteless, yet similar things have been practiced in US and sanctioned by the for-rich-courts, democracy my ***)

Now this thing looks odd to me. All the positive momentum is gone with the wind. I do not understand how this thing works but one thing is clear. Nokia is a no go with such attitude. Soemone gets money for working with maemo as a community and again everything sucks. Not a good sign for the future.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Estel View Post

/Estel

// Edit

Here it is:
Please, vote for it.

Doweneed a separate account for the bugtracker? I don't seem to be able to login

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

We've got answer. It seems, that despite bug being posted in *correct* section (elections), it is assigned to Dave - person, who wasn't involved in anything Maemo for 2-3 years. How cute.

Although, I must admit, that Dave response was blazing fast (thanks goodness, without his reaction, we would be probably stuck for weeks), and we're working on forwarding it to correct person.

@qwazix
Shouldn't it be same account as for rest of infrastructure (*not* TMO)? It's working for me, at least.

@all
While I understand and *do* share Your frustration, please refrain from heating atmosphere yet. Yea - situation is miserable, shaming, etc, but our main goal now is to get it running. We'll talk about consequences, fixes, and responsibility after clearing main mess, ok?

Of course, it's just my personal "asking", no one need to feel obliged by that.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
Now this thing looks odd to me. All the positive momentum is gone with the wind. I do not understand how this thing works but one thing is clear. Nokia is a no go with such attitude. Soemone gets money for working with maemo as a community and again everything sucks. Not a good sign for the future.
NOKIA pays the bills for Maemo.org.
they don't babysit the community
it's the communities' responsibility to organize itself & do what it is here to do... write code.

Council is a part of that organization
nothing more and nothing less

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council