Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Nyxtopouli View Post
Does anyone know if Greek keyboard is an available option to select for multi virtual keyboards
No it's not, but you can check my signature

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
classic nokia ringtone has been jazzed up. i also left it as my default but then again the rest are pretty lame.
Is it the dubstep version? I have it on my N900 right now and it's not bad.

No it isn't the dubstep version.

It's just a little different.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyl For This Useful Post:
i dunno if this has been brought up or if it happens to anyone else.. but when receiving text messages, at times there is a delay.. sometimes i dont receive the msg till an hr later... iv had times it took almost 8hrs for me to receive the text message
i know its not my carrier as everyone else is fine.. it probz happens to 1/10 text messages a day..

any help?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by ifox View Post
Hello all.

Let me start by saying that I currently use a 16gb iPhone 4s. I had all of the iPhones with a 6 month use of a samsung focus between the iPhone 4 and 4s as I lost the 4 in a cab and needed something till the newest iPhone came out. I also had a bang and olufsen serene before the first iPhone so I appreciate having something that is well designed and somewhat rare, That said the iPhone 4s works very well and I have no complaints except that I recently held the N9 and was quite taken with it.

Now I am considering returning my iPhone 4s and getting the N9 but I have some questions. I have read through all of the posts here and these are the things that are of interest:

I drive a porsche and inside it is a PCM (porsche communications management) that allows me to use the phone through a bluetooth connection. I have read others post with issues of NOT being able to have access to the phones directory. Is this true? Does it work on some systems and not others? If not then is there no way to scroll through my phone book through the cars interface?

How is the use of the speaker phone to conduct calls as I have heard the speaker is rather quiet.

How are the alerts? I really appreciate well done clear alerts that are not song based and the serene I had did this beautifully with super cool noises.

I guess thats all I really want to know. I found the phone to feel and look amazing and I understand that sometimes one has to live with quirks in order to have something unique. If what matters most to me in use is: Make phone calls, robust messaging capabilities, internet and pictures, and facebook will I be happy coming from a 4s? Also does anyone know if Shazam will be available?

LAST question... I read that iTunes will sync your photos and contacts and music ... is this true and is it easily done?>

Thank you very much,

X-

Hello!

The N9 is a very different beast from the i4S. I can try it on my car radio and report back tomorrow, although I don't unfortunately drive a porsche so you could never be sure. The speaker is good enough, and it is on the bottom of the phone so it does not get muffled in your pocket. It is definitely louder than that of a galaxy S and softer than the N900 and the king of the hill the N95.

As for the messaging and call capabilities there is really no competitor (maybe mango could come near it but not yet). Messages are all integrated and it is the same if you receive a call or message on skype or cellular or gtalk, so you don't need to have open apps to use various messaging services. I'm sure more plugins will come to support more protocols, as was the case with the N900.

About iTunes support I have no idea, but you can just transfer your music as you would with a flash drive, and windows media player, banshee, Rhythmbox etc can sync to a mass storage device fine, I assume iTunes can do that too. I don't know about the contacts, but you can sync with google just fine with mail for exchange, it is a two step thing though rather than one.

I have the N9 only for a day so I cannot comment anymore on it, but the software is an improvement of N900's maemo, which I know pretty well, and while it has it's drawbacks, it is a software that is addictive to use, with an outstanding user interface. Those assets were improved even more in Harmattan and I would recommend it, given that you say you are prepared to face some quirks.

EDIT: Now I saw you pulled the trigger! Welcome to our community and have fun. Tip: the most fun comes from things this device will do that we never expected it to do. I bet there will be tons of them

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-10-30 at 00:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
oh! and iv got problems with the GPS.. when in drive, or checking in.. it will detect where i am at first, but after a minute or so it gets confused on where i am and thinks im a few hundred kilometres away.. then nokia drive just sits there with the occasion of finding where i am, telling me to take next turn and then suddenly im all the way on woop woop again

whats wrong with my GPS?
the first time i used it it was fine.. but now its playng up

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ San Fran
Originally Posted by toki View Post
oh! and iv got problems with the GPS.. when in drive, or checking in.. it will detect where i am at first, but after a minute or so it gets confused on where i am and thinks im a few hundred kilometres away.. then nokia drive just sits there with the occasion of finding where i am, telling me to take next turn and then suddenly im all the way on woop woop again

whats wrong with my GPS?
the first time i used it it was fine.. but now its playng up
Try taking off the gps powersave feature, see if that helps

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
One or two people have reported problems using a mini SIM cut down to micro SIM in the N9 when the mini SIM carried the large format contact area.

This link shows examples of the comparative sizes to illustrate what I'm talking about

In theory it shouldn't matter, as far as I am aware, since the actual electronic contact area remains the same. But can anyone report success with cutting down such a mini SIM for the N9 (rather than examples of success for the iPhone)? I ask because my current mini SIM is of the large format
i have had no problem mine is from Tmobile in the US and I cut it down. No issues

The Following User Says Thank You to zfarooq For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Lagos, Nigeria
Is it possible to add more GPRS connections? I can't seem to find a way to do this. Every time I try to add a new network using Settings > Internet connection > Create new connection, I can only create wireless networks.

fAPN can add additional 3G APNs