Originally Posted by specc View Post
The problem is new maemo famboys being fed by older maemo fanboys. Simply put, just because you know how to fix some config files, this doesn't make you less fanboy. Or I'm a Linux guy, therefore I have the right to be a fanboy without questoin.

IMO anyone who think Linux/maemo/N9/N900 is best just because it is linux or open source or any other esoteric reason is a fanboy.
So having an informed preference makes me a fanboy?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So having an informed preference makes me a fanboy?
When discussing the N9 on the basis of smartphones - yes definitely. Your preference is no more valid than the preference of others, especially not when/if your preference is politically based, as it must be if your preference is open source.

This post helps in convincing others of my perspective.

[/sarcasm]

When discussing the N9 on the basis of smartphones - yes definitely. Your preference is no more valid than the preference of others, especially not when/if your preference is politically based, as it must be if your preference is open source.
Us preferring the N9 because it is Linux and Open Source doesn't make us fanboys..

It makes us humans with a preference. Are we not allowed to prefer one type of device?? Fanboys are people who will make up all sorts of nonsense to defend their device as if it is part of them.

Having a preference of Linux and Open Source doesn't make us fanboys, I suggest you rethink your idea of fanboys. Just because the world uses mostly Windows doesn't make them fanboys.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Having your personal preferences is one thing.

What you do with that and how you interact with other people regarding your/their preferences is another. This relates to forum etiquette (or basic human etiquette really).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The sentence "person who thinks that <product> is the best because it has <feature/characteristic>" returns true for pretty much every human being.

Not everybody is a fanboy though. Just everybody has a preference. Most of us here are gathered because for us <product>=N9xx and <characteristic>=linux. A happy prius owner thinks his car is the best choice because it's hybrid. He's not a fanboy by definition. If he goes up to a ferrari owner and tells him that his car is better because nobody would ever want to go faster than 170mph, and that is illegal to do that anyway, that would make him a fanboy.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
Just to clear some things up:

I made this thread cause i felt the flaming/bashing was getting worse here on TMO. The problem with comparing is that if the situation you compare to is worse off, then the situation you got will seem fine up against the other situation. Though that wont change the situation you are unhappy with in any and way it will stay the same. You might see it in a different light, but still the same situation you didn't like to begin with.
E.g. I live in Denmark, lets say I'm unhappy with something in society and people tell me that peole are worse off in a lot of other countries that doesn't solve my unhappyness and things wont change if you do like this. It's just sad that they're even worse of and further away from a greater living standard.

On this paragraph, I suggest you :
1) either become moderator or nominate more activate moderators for TMO. I also participate in a sports forum with members from many nationalities. The owner of the forum is strict 'no politics, no race, no religion discussion' rules. Plus no personal attacks/name calling. That didnt stop the trolls, but cos of strict rules, the repeated troublemakers were banned permanently

2) or also go to other forums, tech and non tech. Then one will appreciate TMO more. I find 95% of sites, forums, not just English, will have 'colourful' characters . Unless I only venture in sites talking very lighthearted topics

If some level of intolerance here that I recall would be about the English. Some non English speaking posters did not structure their sentences correctly & were ridiculed by some English speaking posters. I reckon you guys here are used to well written English, with more from Western countries?(as compared to other English language forums I've been to)

The Following User Says Thank You to eaglehelang For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Us preferring the N9 because it is Linux and Open Source doesn't make us fanboys..

It makes us humans with a preference. Are we not allowed to prefer one type of device?? Fanboys are people who will make up all sorts of nonsense to defend their device as if it is part of them.

Having a preference of Linux and Open Source doesn't make us fanboys, I suggest you rethink your idea of fanboys. Just because the world uses mostly Windows doesn't make them fanboys.
You prove my point. You like the N9 not because of its merits as a smartphone, but because it runs Linux. Hence you also defend the N9 on the basis of Linux, and not the specs/functionality/usability. You like the N9 because it represents Linux in a mobile device. When anyone criticize the N9, you take it as criticism of what it represents to you, your preference on a higher level, than simply a criticism of the phone, the device.

In all essence this makes you a fanboy. A well behaved fanboy maybe, but a fanboy nonetheless. To other people, newbees on the forum, this is interpreted as hostility because your defence makes little sense, and is more in lines of what any typical fanboy would write.

You prove my point. You like the N9 not because of its merits as a smartphone, but because it runs Linux. Hence you also defend the N9 on the basis of Linux, and not the specs/functionality/usability. You like the N9 because it represents Linux in a mobile device. When anyone criticize the N9, you take it as criticism of what it represents to you, your preference on a higher level, than simply a criticism of the phone, the device.

In all essence this makes you a fanboy. A well behaved fanboy maybe, but a fanboy nonetheless. To other people, newbees on the forum, this is interpreted as hostility because your defence makes little sense, and is more in lines of what any typical fanboy would write.
Not sure what you have been smoking here.

I don't defend my preferences :P I couldn't care a less if somebody preferred Android over the N9. It is entirely what is good and works best for you.

The N9 aint perfect, theres things I would say aren't so good, but on the whole, for me it is the right phone.

Also I like linux as a whole, didn't influence me choosing the N9, I choose it as I loved the N900 which taught me the usefullness of Open Source and X-Term, and my N900 broke so I thought I would go for an N9 as the replacement.

Doesn't make me a fanboy at all. If somebody doesn't like linux, then okay, I don't use linux on my desktop, I use Windows.

Does that make me a Windows fan boy?? No..

If I go around telling people that the N9 is superior to their phone in every way and it has no flaws, and that they clearly aren't smart enough to see its awesomeness. Now THAT right there makes me a very big Fanboy, hell that's what the iOS Crew does for iPhones

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Last edited by godofwar424; 2012-05-25 at 17:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Here's the thing -- everyone can help by reporting a post/thread using the "Report This" link at the upper right of a post. Here are the official rules, found in the Talk FAQ link at the right side bar: http://talk.maemo.org/faq.php?faq=vb...q_tmorulestext. The rules were created based on the comments/suggestions of the community (see: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56702), so basically, any post that violates the rules can be reported.

When you report a thread or a member's post, an email is sent to the admin and moderators for that forum. FYI, I do see and go through all of them (and I get several everyday) starting when I wake up in the morning and all throughout the day.

Majority of the reports I get are members reporting SPAM, members reporting other members due to insults, trolling, flaming, foul language, etc. I immediately delete SPAM if other SPAM moderators haven't done so, revise, delete, merge posts when needed, as well as give infractions which lead to banning members.

This list of Modeators and Super Administrators can be found here: http://talk.maemo.org/showgroups.php. I admit that a lot are not that active anymore, so maybe we need a new round of Moderator nominations/volunteers.

There is also a special group who have access to delete SPAM. The group is quite active and you can rarely see spam posts here in forums, compared to the 4Q of 2011. You can find the volunteers on this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78150

No one reads all threads and replies here in TMO. Again, if you see something amiss, report the post, and I or other active moderators will do something about it. FYI, I seldom see reports of duplicate threads. If you see threads that needs to be merged, please report them.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Last edited by Reggie; 2012-05-25 at 19:49.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:

Tags
dirty jokes, douchecopters, dousan=hero!, internet scorn, intolerance, just stupid, litenup francis, welikeitourway