Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by lma View Post
PalmOS. 1996. Nothing to do with iSteve.
True, iOS does seem to carry much of the look and feel of PalmOS (although lacking the significant investment in handwriting recognition). Ok, if you like, let me phrase it this way: "Every device manufacturer now uses clones of iOS, which is itself a clone of PalmOS."

A word made-up about a year ago, when the Streak was already discontinued?
Absolutely! Yes, the made-up word "phablet" is now in the process of replacing the made-up term "internet tablet" that Nokia coined some time in the mid 2000s. Such is the way of language.

But it isn't. An iPod touch is an iPhone without the cellular modem (or if you prefer, an iPad with a smaller screen). As limited as iOS is, it still does a lot more than just play media.
Does it? Does it really? I've got an original iPhone. I used it as a phone for years. I tried to use it as more than a phone for, well, weeks at least. It is good for games, music, and video; other than that, it really kinda stinks. Trying to type on a virtual keyboard behind a hard glass screen literally hurts (and, of course, you can't use your fingernails on a capacitive screen, you've gotta actually press the pads of your fingers down). I don't understand how anyone actually edits files on these things. Not that you can actually edit files _on_ these devices -- you can only access the internal storage via iTunes, so there's no way to directly copy files to or from the device.

The only thing you can do effectively on an iPhone/iPod touch is point and drag, and you can only do it using Apple-approved apps managing Apple-approved files. I eventually gave up trying to do any real work on the thing.

But don't take my word for it. Here's what the Apple advertisement says about the latest iteration of the iPod touch on their website:
Fun was built into every millimeter of the new thinner, lighter iPod touch. It does more than ever, more powerfully than ever, from playing games to playing music to just playing around.
Closer to home, what would you call a SmartQ 5 (or a SmartV 5) if not a tablet?
Well, SmartDevices Inc. themselves call it a "Flash MID", if that helps. Four or five years ago I'd have probably used the "internet tablet" term myself. But yeah, today, "tablet" really means something a little bigger than 5 inches, at least in the current electronics market.

I'd also call it pretty. It doesn't seem to be quite as powerful as the N900, and it lacks a hardware keyboard, but it comes fairly close to my ideal of a pocket computer. (You can't go wrong running Ubuntu right out of the box. )

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
...in this instance it is WRONG to say the Lumia 920 is a tablet...
You can't help the misguided.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You can't help the misguided.
Unless you're willing to (re)guide them

On the matter on what is a phone or not, then the note 10.1 wi-fi/3G version is by far the biggest phone ever. Yeps the 3G version can make calls as every other 'mobile phone' out there and is not pocketable at all unless you're Jaws (james bond).

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I'm going to buy Playbook at BB Jam ( if they have fair prices and even better discounts) but for now it has not a lot of apps.

I think it's really simple, you need to know why you want to buy tablet, and than to check which one can do what you need from tablet the best way. And if you just want tablet coz it cool, then maybe you dont need one!?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It's funny how language changes in terms of months lately. I remember the qtek 2020 and how people said that it's not a phone because it's too big (It had a 3.5" screen). The 770 when I saw it for the first time was considered HUGE. Nobody would ever try to put it to his ear.

So arguing that everything below 5 inches is a phone by definition is kind of short-sighted. We've got a screen size race here and we can't allow that to change semantics of language. The 770 was a tablet and it still a tablet is despite that it's 4.1 inches. It hasn't become a phone, nor a portable media player. The 2020 was a pda with phone functionality, and it still is. The original iphone (same screen size) was (and is) a phone.

I think it's really about intention of the manufacturer. The iPhone was intended to be a phone (hence the name). The N900 was intended (and marketed) as a mobile computer. The Note and Streak were intended to be in-between (notice that nobody calls the S3 a phablet, while the difference in screen size with the streak is really minimal). The n-gage was a portable console, not a phone.
This intention defines the whole device as it is built in the hw design/user interface philosophy. Try to use the N810 as a phone with skype. Impossible. Try to use the iPhone as a spreadsheet editor. Almost impossible.

So if somebody wants a tablet today, I would recommend him the N810, but not the Lumia 920 even if the lumia has a bigger screen. Try to edit the same spreadsheet on WP7 office, and gnumeric on the N810 and you'll know why.

<off topic>
On the side, I also think that (generic phone company) still loses sales to the iPhone just because all their high end phones are huge. The biggest concern I hear when friends search for a new phone are that all high end phones are too big. The fact that geeks and reviewers love big phones and that big phones allow for higher specs has fueled this stupid race. When an average user has >600€ to spend on a phone he'll see One X, Razr, SIII and the iPhone, maybe 920, nothing else. If he doesn't want huge he'll go for the iPhone without second thought. The ace, 800 etc. are in another segment. I think that if Samsung made a Galaxy S mini with S2 specs, nfc and 4" screen it would be a huge hit right away.
</off topic>

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Try to use the N810 as a phone with skype. Impossible.
While I have no opinion on the Diablo skype client, my N810 is still my default SIP deskphone when travelling :-)

The biggest concern I hear when friends search for a new phone are that all high end phones are too big. The fact that geeks and reviewers love big phones and that big phones allow for higher specs has fueled this stupid race.
It's the bounce back from the trend towards tiny screens 2-3 years ago. They figured out they got it wrong and are now overcompensating.

Still, there's something to be said when the Galaxy Note, inbetween a gazillion other Android devices of all shapes and sizes, managed to sell 10M units in just 9 months, that's probably a lot more than all Maemo and MeeGo devices combined over the past 7 years!

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
What I find quite amusing is that the Asian market especially the Far Eastern one has driven the sales of the GNote tremendously although at launch most people were like the GNote is huge in size for tiny Asian hands...

OTOH, Europeans with the "big" hands haven't actually taken the GNote to heart like the Asians...

Strange trends...

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I think it's really about intention of the manufacturer.
This^^^

Now can we get back to offering Muzimak device suggestions so he can find one that meets his needs?

@Muzimak, have you decided on one yet?

Yeah, Muzimak. I'm waiting for a response to my comment on the first page: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...09&postcount=9

What type of Tablet are you looking for?
Craplet, Freemium, Used, Niche, iPad2, iPad3, new Droid, Win8 PRO, Neurofen ?

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Okay I decided to help make the choice easier for you, and separated them into categories:

1-Buy a craplet (crap tablet knockoff), these are now at acceptable quality with acceptable features close to a hundred dollars.
Eg, Ainol Novo7 Crystal (under $140)

2-Buy a "freemium" tablet. One that's about comparable to a craplet but from a name brand source.
Eg, Nexus 7 ($200 - 250)
Eg, Kindle Fire HD ($199)

3-Buy a used high-end specced Android tablet that was release "last gen" with community support.
Eg, ASUS Transformer Prime for (<$300)

4-Buy an enthusiasts tablet. Something that's better than the alternatives when it comes down to a select set of features.
Eg, RIM PlayBook
Eg, Vivaldi Linux Tablet

5-Buy a used, cheap, 32GB Wifi iPad2.
Is the best tablet out there, with decent features.

6-Or splurge big on the new iPad. It comes with limitations to hardware, price and software but its ahead of the curve.... and without a doubt the best tablet there is.

-I wouldn't recommend WinRT tablets. Not only are they not out yet, the softwares been shown to be buggy, and limited. Don't touch until 1-2 years when it matures.

7-If anything look for a Win8PRO tablet or convertable. Sure enough, your losing an hour charge everyday but the speed improvements, stability and backwards compatibility makes up for it. Pricey, but it makes sense since its supposed to replace your laptop/desktop (which an iPad cannot accomplish yet).

*Wildcard*
Get a "large" smartphone and a "small" laptop, no room for tablets.
Eg/ Galaxy NOTE 2 + ASUS Transformer Book 11in <<- Recommended!
Playbook 16gb for £169 (and get the jounal-style leather case: http://goo.gl/5nPD8 ), no contest. I can bluetooth tether mine to my N9 which is brilliant because 1) it uses up almost no power compared to wifi tethering and 2) because it uses the phone's apn, my network will never know that I am tethering!

There are now some quality apps populating the store now but if you need to plug the gap, Android apps are available (I have Kindle for example). Plus RIM will be updating the Playbook OS to BB X once it comes out next year so your over a year old tab will get a new lease of life. Oh and as others have said, the hardware is top-notch, the multi-tasking is really good (if you've ever used webOS then you will be right at home) and the buttonless interface is a joy (a certain Nokia handset comes to mind)