Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Seems like HydraKernal is still a bit developmental for me at this point so I might wait a bit before taking the plunge... There are two main sources of lag for my GNote. One is that if I have a lot of shortcuts set up it seems to slow things down a bit when swiping from screen to screen. This is annoying because I like to organize many apps on the different screens, roughly, by use and category. The second is that, sometimes in the course of the day any browser I use has difficultly loading a new page. This problem goes away if I do a restart. Perhaps using HyrdaKernal may help here?

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Seems like HydraKernal is still a bit developmental for me at this point so I might wait a bit before taking the plunge... There are two main sources of lag for my GNote. One is that if I have a lot of shortcuts set up it seems to slow things down a bit when swiping from screen to screen. This is annoying because I like to organize many apps on the different screens, roughly, by use and category. The second is that, sometimes in the course of the day any browser I use has difficultly loading a new page. This problem goes away if I do a restart. Perhaps using HyrdaKernal may help here?
Sounds like a governor issue.
I think its forcing the CPU to stay at low clockspeed (300MHz?) when it should really be clocking it higher (500MHz). I would change the governor before I start changing the kernel.

Ondemand and the like seem to work best (OndemandX, InteractivX, Interactive, Abyssplug, Hotplug).

I would also check the memory scheduler. You should be on SIO or at least on Noop. If you're on VR that normally lags.

And lastly, maybe your low frequency may be "too low". If its 100MHz, try bumping it upto 250MHz. Experiment a little and see if anything gets solved, see if the issue is repeatable.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You can buy two notes or one note II. Why do you need the extra power?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
In Denmark the N1 is still pretty high in price, you wont get two for one N2 here. It might change when the N2 hit the stores.

Will get the N2 mostly part to the higher pressure sensitivity in the s-pen, it's slightly thinner (better for me/medium hand size), some small but cool things and it looks to be more future proof.

Let's see when I actually test it in a shop

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-09-04 at 16:33.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yes, the spen is not uber great for note one. That brings me to my other question. Lots of products has pen now and high sensitivity. Let's say note vs surface. What pen is best? Do they use same technology or every vendor has its own panel?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The pen from my years old wacom tablet and the pen from my hp convertible both work on the note, and the hp one is much better than both s-pen and wacom.

Anyway, do you know a good pressure sensitive mypaint alternative? does linux on android pass sensitivity values through to mypaint via vnc?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Whatever ROM you're using, try Gavin Lewarne's HydraCore kernel.
Thank's everybody for tips and todo-lists for making Note experience better, even though I wish we could have Real Linux in this great HW. I have been especially using Kangal's advice on updating my note. Keep them coming.

A word of warning, yesterday I tried updating HydraCore kernel with CWM, and got problems creating Nandroid backups. I just could not get working backup when running HydraCore. When restoring, either MD4 sum failed, files were missing from backup, or rebooting got stuck in flashing "SAMSUNG" or "android".

I got back GL_NOTECORE_v14-1_STD with stock ICS 4.0.4 from backup and don't seem to have problems with backup/restore anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to sconf For This Useful Post:
Hmm I've heard of issues like yours.
I would do a MD5 checksum on the kernel you downloaded. Its a 5MB file this means a small error in downloading can cause a big error in installation and functionality.

The other point is to make sure you have the right file type.
Recovery files are in .zip format not .tar which is for adb/Odin installation.

Try downloading it again. And before installation wipe cache, dalvik, factory. After installation do “fix permissions “.

Let me know how it goes.
Oh and a handy tip, I recommend not making nandroid backups of custom firmware. I know its practical but u could mix it up with ai nandroid from your stock build. And doing the wipes, installing the from and then the kernel is, for some reason I don't know, much quicker than doing a nandroid restore.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The pen from my years old wacom tablet and the pen from my hp convertible both work on the note, and the hp one is much better than both s-pen and wacom.

Anyway, do you know a good pressure sensitive mypaint alternative? does linux on android pass sensitivity values through to mypaint via vnc?
The only one I know of is 'sketchbook mobile' wich offers some pressure sensitivity to note 1 users and I hope that will get an update to match the new s-pen for note 2.

Don't know about your question regarding vnc?

Dousan...

e: I've seen some pretty awesome work done with that app, with or without pressure sensitivity. So it should be a good alternative to my paint.

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post

I am currently using ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE via linux on android. In this case I was unable to get the s-pen to draw using mypaint (it still does some other things like I was able to set up a screen capture). On the other hand, I was able to draw by just using my finger. However I did not notice any pressure sensitivity. If someone knows how to get it to work or suggest another stylus to try please do chime in!

Anyways that two strikes against VNC route for Note.

1) s-pen does not work effectively
2) Does not transmit sound

Hopefully another approach can be used in the future.

I did try the sketch mobile app. It is pretty easy to use, perhaps not as feature rich as mypaint but S-pen worked fine and pressure sensitivity seemed adequate (although I'm not an artist!)

EDIT: For the case of Android VNC, I just noticed if you do a long press with the S-pen when in mypaint it does draw! But if you use Jump instead of android VNC the S-pen did not work. However I also tried a different stylus (Bamboo Stylus) and it worked pretty well in mypaint as well as in controlling menus and other programs in Ubuntu using Jump. You have to do a double tap on the screen with the Bamboo stylus to start writing. Still no pressure sensitivity but you can make lines darker by repeatedly writing over an area. I think overall using Jump with the Bamboo stylus was the best experience. Perhaps folks can recommend other stylus brands.

Last edited by mscion; 2012-09-12 at 12:17.

Tags
android, galaxy note