Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE View Post
have you ever used whatsapp before ?
Nope, first time.

sync your contacts and the ones that have whatsapp will be showns
What exactly does that mean? My contacts, meaning the ones in my regular phone book?

The Following User Says Thank You to mämo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mämo View Post

What exactly does that mean? My contacts, meaning the ones in my regular phone book?
Yes. Use "Sync Contacts". All the whatsapp user which are in your phone book will be shown.

Originally Posted by buenavista62 View Post
Yes. Use "Sync Contacts". All the whatsapp user which are in your phone book will be shown.
Let me get this straight... the app takes my entire private phonebook and uploads it to some server??

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ lebanon
Let me get this straight... the app takes my entire private phonebook and uploads it to some server??
in some way it does...
http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/

Of course not! The app only syncs you contacts therewith you can use your contacts in "Wazapp". Otherwise you can't have contacts in wazapp. Simple thing.

EDIT: @Adrenaline

Yes, you are right but this is a usual thing and will not be abused. And only your own phone number.

Last edited by buenavista62; 2012-06-05 at 18:35.

Originally Posted by buenavista62 View Post
Of course not! The app only syncs you contacts therewith you can use your contacts in "Wazapp".
And how do you think such a sync would work?
To find the contacts in your phonebook that have Whatsapp, you need to have both datasets in the same place to do the comparison. So either you:
  • upload your contacts to their server, compare there and send the results back to your phone
  • download the entire Whatsapp user database to your phone and compare it on your phone to your address book. (obviously, that's NOT going to happen)

Otherwise you can't have contacts in wazapp. Simple thing.
Of course you could. By adding your contacts manually, like any other IM system does.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mämo For This Useful Post:
To find the contacts in your phonebook that have Whatsapp, you need to have both datasets in the same place to do the comparison. So either you:
  • upload your contacts to their server, compare there and send the results back to your phone
  • download the entire Whatsapp user database to your phone and compare it on your phone to your address book. (obviously, that's NOT going to happen)

Of course you could. By adding your contacts manually, like any other IM system does.
Oh, yes, that's right. I thought in a wrong way. But I don't think, that this is a problem. Otherwise you shouldn't use whatsapp if you are afraid of it.

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa

Then I think this App is not designed for you, you too import and have the Phone Numbers of President Obama & Celine Dion stored in your phone. They'll definately get abused! Use SMS & Skype!

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
You are talking like it's like a big problem

Wazapp, like official whatsapp application, just send the phone numbers, JUST THE NUMBERS, without name, mail address and everything else you have stored in your phone.
Then whatsapp server replies you wich of them has registered in their server.

What can they do to you or your contacts getting just the number?
The same they can do just making random numbers!
It's insane!
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Yea, this is not cool.

At the very least, you need to tell people what the app is doing with my private data, where it sends it and give me some reassurance as to how it's going to be used ... before I run the app.

I mean, since this is a 3rd-party app, I don't even know whether my address book goes straight to Whatsapp or gets routed through a relay where the app author gets his hands on all Wazapp user data. I'm not saying that's what tgalal does, but without digging through source code or sniffing traffic I have no way of confirming and as a regular user, I don't have the knowledge to do that.

I understand this is beta, but perhaps a warning during installation and a privacy policy on the website would be a good idea?

Apparently none of my contacts use Whatsapp anyway, so I'm going to delete it. I'm sure the people who gave me their phone numbers would also prefer me not spreading them to unknown places.

Tags
godoftool, harmattan, is-a-miracle, nokia n9, spacker_thread, tarekgalal, toddler_daycare, toolcoderus, wazapp, whatsapp