Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I don't have freezes or reboots either, but I do find modest vastly superior to fenix.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Stay away from N9. Inferior to N900 in every way. Worst email client, freezes and reboots constantly. Worst web browser. There are many better phones out there. Unless you are into masochism, dont do it.
I do not agree.
N9 and N900 are very different devices. As a phone I would say that the N9 is very much better, as a mobile computer I would say the N900 (mostly because of the keyboard).

I have used both since these device were introduced, and have experienced occasional reboots on both, but not that many. Both are fairly stable. In my experience an iPhone with iOS 6 is more stable, but a Lumia 520 with WP8 is less stable. I haven't used Android devices enough to comment on stability.

I would agree that the email client isn't that great on N9, but neither is the default client on the N900, both do work ok for my limited mobile email needs.

I found the webbrowser on the N9 perfectly fine and fast.
Some sites do have problems, but these kinds of problems also are present when using the browser on my Lumia or on my Playbook. Safari on iOS has less problems since everybody will test their site on that browser nowadays. But all these devices have fine and fast webbrowsers.

There are a lot of good smartphones out there, but the N9 can still very much compete in ease of use and looks great.
Also N9 isn't that expensive anymore, around 200 euros on eBay.
Not many better smartphones for that price, imho.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not FUD. I bought few of them thinking its device. But had same problem on all of them. Email would specifically stop updating, or freeze, and at times the email app icon would disappear. I couldn't rely on it for travels. Wanted to love it, but fail.

As I recall, lumiaman sold his n9s to a forum member who had found that each one were unmounted from their Mass storage space, leaving the devices running on rootfs with no space left anything else after he had installed his apps.

It was no wonder he was facing reboots and slow performance issues, but the question that was never answered was "how did this happen 4 times across seperate handsets when owned by the same user?"

I will agree with his statement about the stock browser, although this is my pet peeve that applies to the majority of mobile browsers. It is pretty weak at displaying web content and will freqeuntly re-direct you to mobile sites. It is quick mind and the Nokia Drive with city lense are brilliant apps, I use mine for GPS navigation these days and the n900 for daily use.

Would I buy an n9 today? I cannot say that I would. It is a phone and I prefer having a physical keyboard and as much desktop functionality in my hands as possible. (looks like I will be with the n900 for sometime to come )

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posted by linuxovod
"Using it since Jan 2012, never had any freezes or reboots."
Lumiaman: "Tells you about QC. Not good."

On top of this not making ANY sense as a reply, your username tells anyone with a clue how NOT objective you are. Very sad that you spend such effort on spreading nonsense.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
As I recall, lumiaman sold his n9s to a forum member who had found that each one were unmounted from their Mass storage space, leaving the devices running on rootfs with no space left anything else after he had installed his apps.
That should not be possible with the devices if they were running in closed mode. With open mode & whoknows what tweaks installed of course it's possible to run into all kinds of problems. (of course the solving of said problems is also possible then...)

Same goes of course with all devices when jailbroken/rooted/opened. After the decisive action, all that happens is on your own soul

The thing with WP devices, though is that AFAIK they cannot be opened at all, so that user cannot install all kinds of trash on them.
For that reason, I'd imagine they are the good solution for people wanting a device that there's no temptation to modify.