Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Sounds like a hardware problem..
LOL A true classic comment (on so many levels)

To the OP: Good bye you crazy horse.
it made me return to an iPhone 5
LOL No matter how insane that comment really is, it proves beyond all reasonable doubt that the N9 is no substitute for an iPhone 5.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Are you able to make emergency calls?
Don't think so but I didn't try. And now it is in a box ready to be picked up by UPS for being repaired so cannot check anymore. But I doubt emergency call would work; the phone function was just completely non-existing on the device.

While I am on a rant let me give you quick feedback on what I liked and didn't like about the phone:

LIKE:
- the always on AMOLED screen
- the swipe interface; so cool that all can be done with a swipe
- the very vibrant screen and overall hardware design; it is just utterly beautiful as perfectly described in this article: http://www.domusweb.it/en/design/portable-cathedrals/
- Nokia Drive/Maps; best navigation s/w on a phone

DIDN'T LIKE:
- abysmal email client; cannot cope properly with IMAP set up and often loses track of identifying number of new emails
- lack of vital applications: I am not so much an app fan but apps like Whatsapp are seriously lacking despite all the good efforts of Wazzap developers
- non-responsiveness; often I did get an OS screen with something like: ".... is not responding. Do you want to close the application?"
- Phone sound way too low; had to beef it up to the max and still could barely hear someone speak when in a somewhat noisy room

I like this vibrant community and the good info I got out of it. I still like the phone if it was only for its uniqueness in an Android/iOS and (soon to be) Windows Phone dominated landscape.

Last edited by ridmaur; 2012-12-27 at 12:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ridmaur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by ridmaur View Post
Don't think so but I didn't try. And now it is in a box ready to be picked up by UPS for being repaired so cannot check anymore. But I doubt emergency call would work; the phone function was just completely non-existing on the device.
You would've been able to check if the IMEI is really faulty by making an emergency call - as the network would request for the IMEI after the call set-up (emergency calls doesn't need a SIM card).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by ridmaur View Post
I meant IMEI number, I am not too knowledgeable whether that is related to a SIM card or not but I guess from your statement it isn't. However, like replied elsewhere I couldn't get an IMEI number from the phone in any way other than looking at the box in which it was shipped.
Sorry for jumping to conclusions. IMEI is tied to the hardware (phone) while IMSI is tied to the sim. I can get imei properly from my sim-less N9, so probably the cell hardware of your unit has a problem.

Regarding your rant: you will see me elsewhere on these forums ranting about just the same things, especially the mail client which not only sucks, it drags the rest of the system down with it. However I did an experiment. If you don't set up many things and don't mess up with the N9 very much (in other words use it doing only things that an unjailbroken iPhone allows you to do) it is pretty smooth and reliable (and has a decent battery life), but who does that

I still find the N900 more reliable under stress.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Errrrm.... Should we really be recommending other users to start calling the Emergency service lines for tech support?

In many countries, the mis-use of the emergency lines can lead to legal action being taken against the caller.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Errrrm.... Should we really be recommending other users to start calling the Emergency service lines for tech support?

In many countries, the mis-use of the emergency lines can lead to legal action being taken against the caller.
You will not be able to call emergency numbers without a valid IMEI. ie, when the network requests for an IMEI and if the UE doesn't respond, emergency call will not be set-up...

I just wanted to check if his IMEI is really at fault. I had no other intentions whatsoever

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I still find the N900 more reliable under stress.

More mature OS I'd say..

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
bye bye then! Oh, and Happy new year!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hello and Good bye and happy new year.

Any plans to change the thread to "major troll leaving TMO"? If not, that is OK too.

See you when you are coming back.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-12-27 at 17:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Guess when do US emergency services get the biggest number of calls? On Christmas Day, after people unwrap their presents. Many of them get new phones and they try them out by calling the only number they can without a SIM. (Or so I've heard on a TV quiz show.)

Here in the UK such a reckless misuse of emergency services is illegal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: