Active Topics

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
I didn't find a thread or a solution about adding dictionaries for Swype on nokia n9 so i tried my luck with a simple trick. I needed Slovenian language for Swype, which is not available for n9, so i searched for a Slovenian Swype dictionary for Symbian on google. After I found it I located the folder with Swype dictionaries on n9 and simply pasted the Slovenian one in the folder. It didn't work because i couldn't see it in Swype keyboard options. After fooling around a bit I decided to simply delete the Slovak dictionary (which is there by default and i don't need it) from the Swype folder and rename the Slovenian dictionary to Slovak one and it worked. The only down side is that it has a wrong name but who cares, people mix Slovenia and Slovakia all the time anyway (laugh).

So, hope this helps someone. Here are the steps:

1. Find the (symbian) dicionary that you need somewhere, it should to be named language.zdb.le (mine was Slovenian.zdb.le)
2. Rename it to a dictionary that you are willing to sacrifice (example Slovak.zdb.le)
3. Copy it to /home/user/.swype/data and replace the old file or delete the old one first, doesn't matter

*Update*

As the above doesn't work anymore, there's a new solution found by @SynergyX. Zelig took the time to write a short how-to. Thanks to both!

Last edited by olympus; 2012-10-19 at 08:47. Reason: new info

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
Great work!!!
I was waiting for that three months.
Thanks. I'll try tonight..

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
tried using zdb.le for android and for symbian, but swype gives me error

"there was a problem openning the swype database. it may be corrupt or in the wrong format"

Last edited by chilko; 2012-02-09 at 10:55.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
me too

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

works! tnx!

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
Hello again!

It seems that doesn't work after update to 1.2!
I have copied Slovak.zdb.le into /home/user/.swype/data and there are only two languages. English and now Slovak.

I have found folder Slovak.zdb.le in /usr/share/swype/data but I don't have permission to copy files into it.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Milko

Last edited by matimilko; 2012-02-28 at 08:05.

Yep, it no longer works in PR1.2 :/

I found the folder in /usr/share/swype/data too but as you said, there's no permission to edit anything. Any ideas guys?

Try it using root user.

Seems the format of the swype database has changed in pr 1.2.

When installing the old database file for (for example Polish) it gives an error. The same goes for when some language is replaced by the .zdb.le file of another one that worked in 1.1.

edit:
Checked the swype data files from 1.1 and 1.2 and they are different. Size, and the file header.

Last edited by +Ivan; 2012-02-29 at 10:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to +Ivan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by josuema View Post
Try it using root user.
tried that already, no luck.