council will be pleased to request putting CC banner, as soon as you find appropriate one. BTW, something tells me, that qwazix will like to prepare one for CC

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Removing all categories sounds very drastically to me.

What about creating only two categories?

games and no games

The games categorie was the biggest one last year if I remember correctly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Just to add a little to the discussion of categories vs. no categories:

I just had a look at the results of last years coding competition.
The number of valid votes per category varies from 51 to 96.

When using no categories an effect of this could be, as beresk_let already mentioned, that submissions get overrun by other submissions that simple happen to fall into a more popular category.
E.g., could the top placed submission in an unpopular category never win as it gets overrun by even the last placed submissions in a popular category.
On the other side, this may in fact reflect the absolute "popularity" of submissions overall and not just relatively to each category.

Combining submissions grouped in categories with a single overall voting imho is a bad solution as it gives the impression that categories are important whereas they don't.

Similarly, I consider a "pre-selection" bad as well as this involves some "elitist"/"privilidged" board to meet decisions and exclude submissions on it's behalf. Imho the election of winners should be entirely up to the community and not be (event partly) influenced by some other authority.

So, from my perspective, it boils down to the question of categories vs. no categories. There are reasons for each variant. The most prevalent, from my point of view, is that an overall voting would really reflect the absolute popularity of an app. On the other hand, this results in unpopular application fields being entirely overrun by popular ones.

Another, addmittedly theoretic result of using an overall category is that, as far as my understanding of the voting process we use goes, we would need votes for at least 25 applications. These do not need to be a single vote but all people must have voted in total for at least 25 applications in order to ensure that an order amongst participants can be established to distribute all available devices (This gets even worse if we consider additional prices like money etc.).
E.g., imagine there are only 10 popular apps that receive votes and other apps do not receive votes. Then we could easily establish a ranking between these 10 apps. However, the remaining apps would all share the same rank as they are all placed last. In this situation it would be impossible to determine the remaining winners.
This is admittedly a very theoretic consideration and is also only as far as my understanding of our voting process goes. As we never did a similar voting with such a high number of candidates we do not have any experience from past votings.

These are my, more or less, two cents on this topic.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
It would be good to have a link to http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...i/Apps_Missing visible somewhere for all participants. Some might find useful to find inspiration based on needs declared by users. The content of that wiki page comes from the thread What apps are you missing for the Nokia N9?

(Sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't gone through the entire thread.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
council will be pleased to request putting CC banner, as soon as you find appropriate one. BTW, something tells me, that qwazix will like to prepare one for CC

/Estel
Please check and comment on the relevant thread

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It would be good to have a link to http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...i/Apps_Missing visible somewhere for all participants. Some might find useful to find inspiration based on needs declared by users. The content of that wiki page comes from the thread What apps are you missing for the Nokia N9?

(Sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't gone through the entire thread.)
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_codi...ation_proposal

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Hello,

I have my application published in Nokia Store for a half of year. Can I also submit it to coding competition?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post

Please don't forget that CC isn't biased to Harmattan - at least, I don't perceive it like that, and hope for many Fremantle proposals/winners. Or, even more likely, multiplatform (Fremantle/Harm/Mer, or at least, Fremantle/Mer - subjective opinion) ones.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ United States
@SD69

Your link to the wiki in the first post is missing a slash between the org and Maemo.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_coding_competition_2012

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to polarbear For This Useful Post:
qwazix has come through with some designs for the competition banner, of the two proposed i think the one attached below looks best - what do you all think?

I think we should grab it
Attached Images

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas