Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
So who got most friends in the community will get one for sure?
Evaluating someone's community (non-coding) effort first would be more suitable and not biased by promises or personal relationships.
No I think his point was it's not leaving it to a small subset of people....
But to the community as-a-whole to EVALUATE who are among the most valued community contributors.
It'd probably be trickier to set-up/organise properly, but that would be the ideal longer-term aspiration.

For developers:
If someone ported or wrote a program for his/her own deeds I care less than if s/o started a community driven/requested project for the sake of all maemo users.
Good point.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
On the other hand, maemo-community@maemo.org is specified as official communication channel, where TMO is not (!). Also, there were 3 answers, but question was open for few weeks already, and mailing list - where much more people are subscribed - was open for presenting any other point of view.
Personally, I don't think TMO is a good place of any serious discussion re Community - see all "future of Maemo" threads, with it 50+ pages and 90% of nonsense content. I like TMO, but for such thing, I treat is as place to announce things + eventually receive feedback - mailing list seems *much* more competent for meritocratic discussions.
I don't agree with the high regard you have only for mail-list discussion when it comes to serious issues.
Smells too exclusionary & elitist to me, but I DO understand your rationale for thinking it's more suitable.
Personally I think there should be a review of what's considered to be "official communication channels".
And the outcome of that review should reflect the opinion of the community as-a-whole...
Not attacking you personally, I can see some sense in your viewpoint, I just don't totally agree.
But anyway this is getting off-topic, perhaps there should be a separate thread for it...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-31 at 04:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
Can a non-dev win an N950? I noticed a lot of non-devs applied for an N950.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Yes, just like stated on the first post This award is for everyone who helps the community in some way, so even if you can't code you can win something
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kent_autistic View Post
Can a non-dev win an N950? I noticed a lot of non-devs applied for an N950.
Me thinks you should re-read the starting post, you are eligible if you have done good for the community in the past - especially non-coding, as there are 75 devices for coding-only available.

See Quim's Thread

EDIT: Just the second I hit "save" I recognized that 75 devices can only be won by coders, there should be put special value to non-coders for these 25 CA devices here! What do you think?

Last edited by chemist; 2012-05-31 at 10:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
hmm why cant it be just first come first serve

Because They would all be gone before this was even posted on TMO. Imagine the headlines in 72 point impact on on the front page Maemo monthly news 'COUNCIL CORRUPTION SCANDAL!'

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I don't agree with the high regard you have only for mail-list discussion when it comes to serious issues.
Smells too exclusionary & elitist to me, but I DO understand your rationale for thinking it's more suitable.
Personally I think there should be a review of what's considered to be "official communication channels".
And the outcome of that review should reflect the opinion of the community as-a-whole...
Not attacking you personally, I can see some sense in your viewpoint, I just don't totally agree.
But anyway this is getting off-topic, perhaps there should be a separate thread for it...
This. And i bet there are even quite some users out there who don't even rely on / have email anymore, or don't want to make their's public.
Same with IRC. I could logon only from home, because IRC (at least without any quite considerable effort) doesn't protect where you actually logon from, and broadcasts it visibly.

This is almost the same sh*t that is common in other parts of society/communities: (you can) contact us only via Facebook or Twitter. All other people are excluded.

The Maemo community should handle this better (as a role model maybe), IMHO.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-05-31 at 12:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
No I think his point was it's not leaving it to a small subset of people....
But to the community as-a-whole to EVALUATE who are among the most valued community contributors.
It'd probably be trickier to set-up/organise properly, but that would be the ideal longer-term aspiration.

Good point.

You think email is too elitist? Email? You are advocating a pretty low barrier to entry to the discussion if email is too hard.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
This. And i bet there are even quite some users out there who don't even rely on / have email anymore, or don't want to make their's public.
Same with IRC. I could logon only from home, because IRC (at least without any quite considerable effort) doesn't protect where you actually logon from.
HTF do you use the internet (for community type things ) without an email address?

Last edited by vi_; 2012-05-31 at 12:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I have email, and i like it. But not everyone (anymore). I just find mailing list procedures very outdated; and they tend to exclude people.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
I have email, and i like it. But not everyone (anymore). I just find mailing list procedures very outdated; and they tend to exclude people.
If you are unable to even use email...You need to pick a new hobby that is not maemo.

I just find mailing list procedures very outdated; and they tend to exclude people.
Which bit is exclusionary? The actual reading of the messages or replying to them?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
awards, community, council, maemo, nokia